Catcher and Rightfielder

ELMERO

17 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

Original post got me thinking about this…..

In the Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract (2001) there is a section on the 3 miracle teams of the 60’s: ’69 Mets, ’67 Bosox and ’61 Reds. The 1961 Reds improved by 26 games over 1960. James gives an analysis of the commonalities that gave rise to these dramatic improvements. 

What caught my eye was that Frank Robinson was the first baseman on the 1960 Reds, and moved to right field for the 1961 season, where he improved with the bat, and played a more valuable defensive position, and opened a position for a younger player.

Frank played 1B in 1959-60 because he was recuperating from shoulder surgery.    He was an outfielder almost his entire career. 

16 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I don't get why Mancini gets no respect. The few weeks he was with the team, seemed like a guy whom we might expect to hit 25-30 hr. Save 15m and let him DH, Kim can DH against tough righties. Get more athletic by signing Revere and/ or Pagan.

11 hours ago, weams said:

I don't see him getting that opportunity again. I think an injury is his only chance again with the Os.

I love how Joseph stepped up and played in 2014-2015.

Given how he played in 2016, I do not want to go into the season with him as #1.

Of course, he could show us in ST, how last year, was just an off year.

But, what if?

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I'm hoping Caleb's gruesome groin injury was the primary reason he had a bad year, but unfortunately age and track record are not in his favor.  Best wishes to him this spring. 

As bad as it was I'm pretty sure he wasn't feeling the effects before it even happened. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As bad as it was I'm pretty sure he wasn't feeling the effects before it even happened. 

You're right...he was stinking before the injury. I didn't bother to look up his numbers because I thought he had only played a few games, but he played in 23 games before the injury. Small sample size, but he definitely stunk before and after the injury. 

I want the Orioles to get a good starting catcher, but will always root hard for Joseph. Hard not to root for guys who stuck it out and worked hard for years in the minors. But...

22 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

The catcher's primary responsibility is not to be intimately familiar with every hitters strengths and weaknesses, there are extremely comprehensive and thorough reports generated by the clubs for this purpose. It is the combined responsibility of the catchers and pitchers to understand these reports, and more importantly to EXECUTE the plan of attack. Valuing a lesser catcher over Castillo simply because they have played in the AL East? No. 

Choosing a right fielder simply because of their range and arm is only part of the package. If that was the only criteria, we have an in-house answer in Dariel Alvarez. Of the remaining potential choices, Jarrod Dyson, while he has flaws, represents a player who fills a couple holes: leadoff hitter, speed, defensively astute right fielder, and flashes some OBP potential (career high .340 in 2016)

All us fans tend to overrate two things: 1) Geography over money 2) Familiarity with the AL East. Real players can play, anywhere. All players (with few upper-tier exceptions) want to get paid their max, regardless of hometown. See: Teixeira, Mark.

This was a very good response.  Well stated and clearly answered my questions.  Thank you and I tip my hat to you.  I'll look forward to more of your posts.

Archived