Perlozzo--from the Cumberland Times News

orioles15902

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While there's probably plenty of blame to go around for everyone, and I understand Sam venting, here is something to consider.

Todd Williams: I don't think it's as simple as Sam suggests. Remember that Williams was cut from the 40-man roster out of spring training and passed through waivers. It's not as if F&D wanted him around and stuck Sam with him. No one else picked him up, so he was sent to Norfolk as AAA roster filler. He was only brought up when there was an injury.

People talk about the lack of a plan, but there does seem to be a plan now, at least with minor league players (i.e., Hoey): Not to rush them. Others might want a different plan, but making minor league players get minor league experience first is a valid option.

And while Payton and Huff may not have been the best options, they were signed late, after they couldn't get other people. They might have made a trade, but who do we offer other than young pitchers? Offering Roberts, Tejada, and Mora was taken off the table by ownership.

Chew this one over. Remember how upset people were that the FO was lowballing Mora last year? Just maybe the FO wanted him to leave. But how many fans kept saying "Pay the Man!", with Kubatko egging them on in his blog? Partly because he was the only one who went to Elrod's funeral? No one can say for sure, but what if the reason ownership resigned him--and that's who it was--was a misguided attempt to please those fans?

Even with or without the luncheon meeting that Sonny suggests happened, Sam and Leo have both been around plenty long enough to not be surprised at this in the slightest.

And no one knows but Mazzone, of course, but though Sam and Leo are best friends, I don't think they've ever run a team together before. Leo the man might be upset for his friend, but Leo the successful coach with a WS ring might also have realized, after watching up close, that Sam was in over his head.

I like Sam but he is stuck in his own world. It is to be expected with what he has been through.

The team can't score 5 runs a game but Sam didn't ask for House. He was too busy trying to rotate guys that were not hitting.

The pen is a total mess meanwhile Doyne is saving 19 at Norfolk and Bell is ready to be a long man. No moves were made.

I hope Sam stays in the organization but I think it was time that Sam stepped down as manager.

Wow, those are some combative comments. Not saying he's not right about most of it, and it truly shows, yet again what a complete mess this organization is with the lack of communication and continuity. But for comparison, does anyone have access to the archive article from after Lee Mazzilli was fired? He was just as thrown under the bus, if not more, and all I remember were positive quotes thanking the ownership and fans and supporting the players ("my guys"). Just odd that we all though that was losing the clubhouse at the time, looks like it was much worse under Sam.

Yup -- IIRC, Maz still referred to the team as "my guys" after being fired (I'm still looking for that article). Furthermore, months after being fired -- Maz returned to Baltimore for Elrod's funeral.

Owner Peter Angelos, former managers Miller, Mike Hargrove and Lee Mazzilli and present manager Sam Perlozzo attended, as did third baseman Melvin Mora, the only current Oriole at the service. Mora, who lives in Baltimore in the offseason, didn't comment on the absence of his teammates, saying only, "I am here because I care about him."

Source

Witchy

I like Sam but he is stuck in his own world. It is to be expected with what he has been through.

The team can't score 5 runs a game but Sam didn't ask for House. He was too busy trying to rotate guys that were not hitting.

The pen is a total mess meanwhile Doyne is saving 19 at Norfolk and Bell is ready to be a long man. No moves were made.

I hope Sam stays in the organization but I think it was time that Sam stepped down as manager.

If he wasn't consulted on the FA signings, why would he think that his input on roster management would matter? Or, maybe he did have input, and no one listened. The disconnect between the FO and the manager seems pretty absurd here.

Sam is venting in this article. I don't see where he said they would not promote the players I wanted. It should be a major thing on his mind if he could not get who he wanted. But he is not saying that.

True. But, he did say they didn't take his opinion into account when signing players. From that, I get that Flanny/Duq decided what team he got, and it was his job to make it work. Maybe he had control of promotions/demotions. But, maybe he didn't. It's all just speculation.

True. But, he did say they didn't take his opinion into account when signing players. From that, I get that Flanny/Duq decided what team he got, and it was his job to make it work. Maybe he had control of promotions/demotions. But, maybe he didn't. It's all just speculation.

Kinda sounds like us and them doesn't it. I agree I am speculating.

Archived