Perlozzo--from the Cumberland Times News

orioles15902

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but i find it very interesting.

http://www.times-news.com/local/local_story_170094103.html

"I told them they should have stepped up," he said. "When all this talk became public, and they didn't step up ... That would have resolved it. But they didn't step up, and no matter what, you don't do that to me. You don't do that to a guy who has been in the organization for 12 years and has done so many things for this organization."

However, Perlozzo, the manager of the team, had very little input in any of the signings.

"Not really," he said. "Walker, Bradford, Baez, Williamson, they never asked me. I told them not to sign Williams. But they went out and signed four guys without asking me."

"Kevin Millar has a high on-base percentage, but doesn't hit home runs. Do you want me to start him on the bases? Check the on-base percentage and the runs scored. It doesn't jibe. We need three hits to get him in. You want me to start running Kevin Millar, Jay Gibbons and Aubrey Huff?"

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see this posted anywhere, but i find it very interesting.

http://www.times-news.com/local/local_story_170094103.html

"I told them they should have stepped up," he said. "When all this talk became public, and they didn't step up ... That would have resolved it. But they didn't step up, and no matter what, you don't do that to me. You don't do that to a guy who has been in the organization for 12 years and has done so many things for this organization."

However, Perlozzo, the manager of the team, had very little input in any of the signings.

"Not really," he said. "Walker, Bradford, Baez, Williamson, they never asked me. I told them not to sign Williams. But they went out and signed four guys without asking me."

"Kevin Millar has a high on-base percentage, but doesn't hit home runs. Do you want me to start him on the bases? Check the on-base percentage and the runs scored. It doesn't jibe. We need three hits to get him in. You want me to start running Kevin Millar, Jay Gibbons and Aubrey Huff?"

I hate to say it, but if it really went down that way.....is it really his fault?

This just make the organization look even worse. Zero communication.

This jibes with what we already know: Flanagan and Duquette are completely and utterly incompetent and should follow Perlozzo out the door.

Someone send a broom to MacPhail's new office.

I hate to say it, but if it really went down that way.....is it really his fault?

This just make the organization look even worse. Zero communication.

That's a really good article. Chock full of good quotes. I'm sure Sam got a lot off his chest with this interview.

It does cast a question on whether Mazzone will be with the Orioles very much longer.

Perlozzo wasn't certain of the long-term plans of Mazzone.

"I'm not sure," he said. "Leo and Eric were pretty emotional today. Leo told them if they want to talk about it to talk to his agent. Again, he was pretty emotional."

Well, he told the FO that Payton would help the team, and if he thought he always made the right moves, then he is delusional. Also, he is the one who used the guys like Baez in the roles he chose. So he has to take some of the blame at least.

It really is a shame how all of this went down. I agree with Perlozzo when it comes to how the front office treated him, a loyal man who has stuck with the organization dispite being passed over for Mazzilli the first time. The lack of support by the front office was disgusting to see as things continued to tumble. The players are one thing but the front office not sticking up for him was pathetic.

Sam was right in saying that they had to fire him to take the heat off of the roster that F/D put together. If Perlozzo didn't take the fall then one of them would of had to.

Sam is partially at fault here too. He should have confronted management.

That being said, Sam got a raw deal. At the very least Crowley should have been canned first. And as bad as some of his moves were, the bigger problem was that the players just played horrible. He didn't acquire the players.

Well, he told the FO that Payton would help the team, and if he thought he always made the right moves, then he is delusional. Also, he is the one who used the guys like Baez in the roles he chose. So he has to take some of the blame at least.

Oh, no doubt his roster, and in game decision making was extremely suspect. My point is the off season. You would think that regardless of wether Sam was allowed to pick free agents, the FO would seek his opinion, and/or keep him in the loop. With the GM's taking that tact with the manager, you have ask; who really has been in control of the roster?

WOW did Sam have some stuff to say. I'm still taking this in.

And how the heck did the Cumberland Times get an interview like this? Sam let loose!

He was born and still lives in Cumberland. Keep checking the paper in the next few days, there may be more.

Sam's talking out of both sides of his mouth if he's saying he would have prefered the FO to say his job was not in jeopardy and then just fire him rather than not addressing it. If it was the other way around, he'd be complaining about that too.

And if he doesn't think he did a poor job of making tactical decisions, well then I guess thats our answer for all the questions we constantly asked like "how could he possibly make that decisison!" He clearly thinks he managed well, which in and of itself shows you how bad of a manager he was.

Beside Guthie, who was a better offseason signing than Payton. That is not to say that he has been great, but he has performed about up to expectations and Perlozzo was hamstrung in using him more selectively given how horrible Gibbons, Huff, and Patterson have been.

"It doesn't matter how many right moves you make and it still doesn't work. The manager gets fired. But not with the Dodgers. They fire their hitting coach. Here, we keep reshuffling managers."

The Orioles keep doing the same things and expect different results?

Archived