Poll: What should the Orioles do with Trumbo?

Spy Fox

What should the Orioles do with Trumbo?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Orioles do with Trumbo?

• They should sign Trumbo even if it costs more than 3/$50M
    • They should sign Trumbo but not for more than about 3/$50M
    • They should sign Trumbo but not for more than about 3/$40M
    • They should maybe sign Trumbo, and multi-year is OK, but only if his price drops below 3/$40M
    • They should maybe sign Trumbo, but only if his price drops to a one-year deal
    • They should not sign Trumbo regardless of his price

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So from the poll it seems that a slight majority of people are for signing Trumbo at a good cost, while a solid chunk still prefers going another direction regardless.

I count myself in the latter group while other options still remain, but won't be too disappointed if we sign Trumbo to a team-friendly deal.

If we didn't have Davis signed, I'd be fine with giving him a 3 year deal for 50M and having him be the everyday first baseman.  But he's a liability in RF, and the O's are already locked in to bad defense at one corner outfield position.  There should be a home for him in a major league starting lineup, but not with the O's.  

2 hours ago, dan-O said:

Pretty much a foregone conclusion that he signs with us at 3/$40, I'd say. His agent I'm sure is just holding out a bit longer and/or they are negotiating particulars of the deal.

3/$40 may not the be the best option but it's a bit more palatable than 4/$56.

49 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If we didn't have Davis signed, I'd be fine with giving him a 3 year deal for 50M and having him be the everyday first baseman.  But he's a liability in RF, and the O's are already locked in to bad defense at one corner outfield position.  There should be a home for him in a major league starting lineup, but not with the O's.  

Sure - Colorado.  They really don't need to be playing Gerardo Parra every day.  We Oriole fans know about that.

-edit- forgot about David Dahl.  But still...

12 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

I have been saying this all offseason.  The Orioles will sign Trumbo to a 1 year deal.  He's not going to get the 3/4 year deal he wants.... I think its best for the Orioles to just pay him the $18-$20MM this year with incentives.

Do you think that if the O's don't sign him he will go unsigned until June?

10 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

I have been saying this all offseason.  The Orioles will sign Trumbo to a 1 year deal.  He's not going to get the 3/4 year deal he wants.... I think its best for the Orioles to just pay him the $18-$20MM this year with incentives.

If he has no takers at this point in the Off-Season then why would the Orioles "Overpay" at $18 to $20 Million??  It seems that the market would be more around the $10 Million mark for a year of service.  Add incentives for games played/plate appearances that would get it to $11 Million.  Add MVP voting $$$, HR Title $$$, that could get it to a $12/$13 million figure.  This would be more inline with the lost pick associated with the QO.

2 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

If he has no takers at this point in the Off-Season then why would the Orioles "Overpay" at $18 to $20 Million??  It seems that the market would be more around the $10 Million mark for a year of service.  Add incentives for games played/plate appearances that would get it to $11 Million.  Add MVP voting $$$, HR Title $$$, that could get it to a $12/$13 million figure.  This would be more inline with the lost pick associated with the QO.

I think sometimes people mistakenly see that a player hasn't signed by mid-January and infer that means there is no market for that player.   But sometimes it's just the agent stubbornly holding out for a slightly better deal than decent deals that already have been offered.    I don't know if that's the case here, but it could be.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think sometimes people mistakenly see that a player hasn't signed by mid-January and infer that means there is no market for that player.   But sometimes it's just the agent stubbornly holding out for a slightly better deal than decent deals that already have been offered.    I don't know if that's the case here, but it could be.

I agree that the agents sometimes overshoot the market for players.  I do not think that this should be rewarded by an overpay.

Archived