Roger McDowell Talks Philosophy, Getting To Know His Pitchers

PressBoxOnline

Orioles pitching coach Roger McDowell has reached out to each of the 22 pitchers on the team's 40-man roster.

"I think it's important to know I have an interest, and they are that interest."

"I think that's probably the biggest thing, is getting to know their personalities, and the rest will take care of itself."

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/01/16/roger-mcdowell-could-be-key-to-orioles-2017-season

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 2:29 PM, PressBoxOnline said:

Orioles pitching coach Roger McDowell has reached out to each of the 22 pitchers on the team's 40-man roster.

"I think it's important to know I have an interest, and they are that interest."

"I think that's probably the biggest thing, is getting to know their personalities, and the rest will take care of itself."

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/01/16/roger-mcdowell-could-be-key-to-orioles-2017-season

On 1/16/2017 at 3:16 PM, OrioleDog said:

A random fact - in 1990 Roger McDowell led the NL in Games Finished with 60, and notched...22 saves.

As the new pitching coach in the year after the Andrew Miller postseason, I wonder if he'll tickle Buck's ear any about broader usage.

o

I thought that McDowell was very solid in his prime years (1985-1993) when he pitched.

I'm excited about him being the Orioles' new pitching coach, and glad to see him immediately being so proactive about it.

On 1/16/2017 at 3:16 PM, OrioleDog said:

A random fact - in 1990 Roger McDowell led the NL in Games Finished with 60, and notched...22 saves.

As the new pitching coach in the year after the Andrew Miller postseason, I wonder if he'll tickle Buck's ear any about broader usage.

He was the closer but the Phillies weren't very good. He pitched in 30 save situations and blew 6 saves. It's a nice thought but I'm doubtful that experience will have much bearing on his bullpen philosophy. Watching the Orioles lose with their best pitcher on the bench and seeing what Miller did for Cleveland probably will have more of an effect, if there is one. I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that Buck overall has been an excellent bullpen manager, by the way, even though the wildcard game was a terrible error.

Archived