Brandon Snyder's beginning to stir...

Frobby

Snyder had doubles in his first two-AB's tonight, giving him 11 on the season. He's really hit the ball well this homestand. I think he's finally gotten into a bit of a groove, albeit while the rest of the team has as well.

I agree that he is young, but have you noticed that he is only six months younger than Wieters? Both were high first round draft choices. And Snyder is in his fourth professional season, albeit there have been a few injuries that reduced his playing time.

I am not down on him...yet. But I think the time to produce is fast approaching, perhaps this year. I am confident that he will. But my confidence is based mostly on Stockstill's insistence that Snyder has the talent to hit in the Major Leagues. I hope he is right.

Just guessing, but wouldn't Wieters have graduated high school a year ahead of Snyder and 2 years ahead of Rowell ?

Of course, Wieters was the no. 5 pick in the draft and only fell that far because teams were afraid of his outrageous salary demands. Everyone knew he was the best position player available in last year's draft. Snyder was a highly regarded high school player who was picked 13th in the draft. That's a big difference.

That said, I'm a bit disappointed with Snyder's season so far, considering that he outhit Wieters by a good margin last winter in Hawaii. I really thought he'd have a breakthrough year in 2008. There's still time for that to happen, but he had better get going.

I'm guessing there was something physically wrong with him in the beginning of the year, because his downswing was a bit too drastic, and he's obviously had injury problems before. I'm still of the opinion that there's not much difference between him and Rowell as prospects.

I'm guessing there was something physically wrong with him in the beginning of the year, because his downswing was a bit too drastic, and he's obviously had injury problems before.

Could be that he's just a slow starter. He started slow last year and then came on as the year went along.

Just guessing, but wouldn't Wieters have graduated high school a year ahead of Snyder and 2 years ahead of Rowell ?

I guess it deends on where you go to school. Wieters was born in May and Snyder was born in November of 1986. Rowell was born in September of 1988. My kids were in school in Baltimore that used a 9/30 cutoff and then they were in Minnesota which used a 12/31 cutoff.

Age is still age, regardless of what year they graduated. No?

That said, I'm a bit disappointed with Snyder's season so far, considering that he outhit Wieters by a good margin last winter in Hawaii. I really thought he'd have a breakthrough year in 2008. There's still time for that to happen, but he had better get going.

As I posted on pg.1, Snyder also had a very slow start last season, but ended up with a solid performance. He already seems ahead of that with how he's hitting in May, so I don't see a real urgent concern. Especially since he is still somewhat young for his level.

I guess it deends on where you go to school. Wieters was born in May and Snyder was born in November of 1986. Rowell was born in September of 1988. My kids were in school in Baltimore that used a 9/30 cutoff and then they were in Minnesota which used a 12/31 cutoff.

Age is still age, regardless of what year they graduated. No?

Yes, but was my point was to put some perspective on these 3.

It's taken Wieters 4 years since he left high school to reach A Ball.

Snyder 3, and Rowell 2.

So if Snyder is tearing up Frederick next year or in Bowie doing similar to what Wieters does there the rest of this year, is he really behind ?

In the same regard, what if Rowell matches Wieters' Bowie stats next year ?

Yes, but was my point was to put some perspective on these 3.

It's taken Wieters 4 years since he left high school to reach A Ball.

Snyder 3, and Rowell 2.

So if Snyder is tearing up Frederick next year or in Bowie doing similar to what Wieters does there the rest of this year, is he really behind ?

Let's not forget Snyder was hurt and missed a lot of time in 2006.

He's simply on fire right now at the plate, along with Tripp. They're both punishing pitchers and hitting the ball well and hard to all parts of the field. Snyder might not be a bigtime power hitter, but I'm fine with him getting bombs every now and then combined with gap power, which is what he is doing. It's enjoyable to say the least.

• 2 months later...

In re: Slow start

It's always a good idea to ignore the first 100 ABs of a guy just after he's been promoted to a new league. Takes a while for some to get used to the higher level of pitching and play.

Throw out Snyder's first 100 ABs and he'd be even more impressive.

Which means we shouldn't get alarmed when Snyder starts off slowly at Bowie in April 2009 ;)

Sorry, but there is no way that Snyder or Rowell puts up numbers like Wieters is doing right now. Wieters is a rare talent and has a chance to be one of the elite players in MLB.

Sorry, but there is no way that Snyder or Rowell puts up numbers like Wieters is doing right now. Wieters is a rare talent and has a chance to be one of the elite players in MLB.

While extremely unlikely. Rowell I think has the attributes that make it atleast possible. Especially remembering he has a couple of years to get there.

Disclaimer I am not saying it is what I think will happen.

Archived