Brandon Snyder's beginning to stir...

Frobby

He's now hitting .290/.329/.507 in May. Overall his OPS is up to .709. Not spectacular, but considering that he's 21 and the league OPS is about .692, it's not too bad.

What worries me is his lack of power that goes back to Hawaii. He stroked that league but I think he only had one bomb. This year he weak.

What worries me is his lack of power that goes back to Hawaii. He stroked that league but I think he only had one bomb. This year he weak.

Well, he's picking it up, with an ISO of .217 in May. Hopefully that will continue.

aren't guys like that pretty much a dime a dozen?

Those May #'s? Not really. There are only currently six batters in the Carolina League with a SLG% at .500 or higher for the season. Wieters is #1 @ .617 and Tripp is #6 @ .503. Snyder's .407 SLG% puts him at 23rd in the league. That's not what you want from him, but hopefully it was just a slow start.

What worries me is his lack of power that goes back to Hawaii.

I'm sure one thing that sparked Frobby's OP is that he hit his 4th HR tonight. It's a start.

He also has 9 doubles, tied for second on the team, and better than any of the other expected power hitters. If you remember all the arguments about Fio, Tony and others maintained that doubles are a better sign of future major league power than homers. Not that I'm saying we should compare Weiters and Tripp to Fio...:D, but I don't think we should worry about Snyder.

What I like about Snyder is that he never stops swinging the bat. He hits the ball hard, and hasn't really found the consistency like the Tripp's and Wieters'. You can kind of say the same thing with Vinyard. But sticking with Snyder, he's a pure gap hitter and slaps the ball to all fields. I dont think he'll ever produce 30-35 homers, but he could certainly put up 30 doubles and 15 homers or so.

I've expected more from him, but I keep forgetting he's still just 21. He's better acclimating himself in the league, but it's taken some time.

Since I have reading this board, it never ceases to amaze me how impatient you guys are about the HS players the O's drafted the past couple of years. Snyder and Rowell are right on track with Rowell well ahead of Snyder. These are young guys going from weak HS pitching to professional pitchers (best of HS and College). They also must adjust to practicing for hours before a game, traveling on a bus, living out of a suitcase etc...... Only the very special like Justin Upton, Andrew Jones, or Markakis make it early in their 20's from HS to MLB. Be patient, the O's got a couple of good ones.

What I like about Snyder is that he never stops swinging the bat. He hits the ball hard, and hasn't really found the consistency like the Tripp's and Wieters'. You can kind of say the same thing with Vinyard. But sticking with Snyder, he's a pure gap hitter and slaps the ball to all fields. I dont think he'll ever produce 30-35 homers, but he could certainly put up 30 doubles and 15 homers or so.

I've expected more from him, but I keep forgetting he's still just 21. He's better acclimating himself in the league, but it's taken some time.

When I went last weekend, I was surprised at how powerfully built he appears to be - very broad shoulders and back. He certainly looks like he could generate some power once he matures fully. My biggest concerns about him are (1) lack of plate discipline (low walks), and (2) foot speed. He seems awfully slow for a guy his size.

He also has 9 doubles, tied for second on the team, and better than any of the other expected power hitters. If you remember all the arguments about Fio, Tony and others maintained that doubles are a better sign of future major league power than homers. Not that I'm saying we should compare Weiters and Tripp to Fio...:D, but I don't think we should worry about Snyder.

Right on with that point. Also, last season through May Snyder was hitting about .250-.310-.380 with a K rate upwards of 28%, but finished the season .283-.352-.422 with a 21% K rate. His current K rate is under 20%, his ISO power is actually improved from last season, and if he continues to make good contact while improving his BB rate, he could be a pretty solid prospect from an OB perspective as well.

He's now hitting .290/.329/.507 in May. Overall his OPS is up to .709. Not spectacular, but considering that he's 21 and the league OPS is about .692, it's not too bad.

I agree that he is young, but have you noticed that he is only six months younger than Wieters? Both were high first round draft choices. And Snyder is in his fourth professional season, albeit there have been a few injuries that reduced his playing time.

I am not down on him...yet. But I think the time to produce is fast approaching, perhaps this year. I am confident that he will. But my confidence is based mostly on Stockstill's insistence that Snyder has the talent to hit in the Major Leagues. I hope he is right.

I agree that he is young, but have you noticed that he is only six months younger than Wieters? Both were high first round draft choices. And Snyder is in his fourth professional season, albeit there have been a few injuries that reduced his playing time.

I am not down on him...yet. But I think the time to produce is fast approaching, perhaps this year. I am confident that he will. But my confidence is based mostly on Stockstill's insistence that Snyder has the talent to hit in the Major Leagues. I hope he is right.

Of course, Wieters was the no. 5 pick in the draft and only fell that far because teams were afraid of his outrageous salary demands. Everyone knew he was the best position player available in last year's draft. Snyder was a highly regarded high school player who was picked 13th in the draft. That's a big difference.

That said, I'm a bit disappointed with Snyder's season so far, considering that he outhit Wieters by a good margin last winter in Hawaii. I really thought he'd have a breakthrough year in 2008. There's still time for that to happen, but he had better get going.

Archived