TT: BATTLE FOR THE LAST BULLPEN SPOT

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If Stewart is really this good, then he should have no problem going down to Norfolk and dominating AAA hitters.   I feel the same way about Aquino and just about every other pitcher on the bubble.   Let them earn their way up from the minors during the season.    I don't think you particularly impressed by Drake but I think he's earned the chance to keep or lose the job.    The only guy I'd really be interested in seeing Drake get dumped for is maybe Liranzo if Buck thinks he's ready.

I just think Drake's stuff doesn't look sharp. Now coming into this spring I felt like he had the upper hand in a bullpen spot, and with a lack of options they may still try to keep him on the 25-man to start the season. But if he struggles early, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Orioles DFA him right after the season started because its easier to get a guy through waivers once the rosters are set for teams.

I hope Drake's stuff get better because 89-90 with an inconsistent splitter won't cut it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

I have included Verrett's statistics in his 2-inning stint in the game against the Dominican Republic ....... a game that Major League Baseball and the Orioles do not include in its/their overall Spring Training statistics.

6 OUTS: o 4 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 1 Strikeout

SCOTT LOGAVERRETTo)o (vs. PHILLIES, 3/13) )) [ [Spring Training] 

IP:;)..l) 2

H:))))l  3 ll(1 Home Run, 2 Singles)

R:ll)lll) 1

BB:olll)2 

SO:l))l 1

Pitches: l) (Unavailable) 0

2017 ERA: l)  2.25 0(Spring Training)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.500 0(Spring Training)

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable)

SOURCE:). MLB Game Day

o

OLIVER GARDNER DRAKEo)o (vs, PHILLIES, 3/13)o[Spring Training]

1  Inning Pitched.

3 )Up, 3 Down.

1  Strikeouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Flyout.

2017 ERA: l)  10.500(Spring Training)

2017 WHIP: l)   01.667 (Spring Training)

2017 BB/SO: l)  1 Walk, l6 Strikeouts l(Spring Training)

22 hours ago, RZNJ said:

If Stewart is really this good, then he should have no problem going down to Norfolk and dominating AAA hitters. I feel the same way about Aquino, and just about every other pitcher on the bubble. Let them earn their way up from the Minors during the season. I don't think you are particularly impressed by Drake, but I think that he's earned the chance to keep or lose the job. The only guy I'd really be interested in seeing Drake get dumped for is maybe Liranzo, if Buck thinks he's ready.

o

Liranzo has struck out 7 batters in 6 innings pitched so far this spring, and has an ERA of 1.50

What is concerning (statistically) is that he has also walked 6 batters in those 6 innings pitched, including 2 in 1 inning pitched today.

3 OUTS: o 2 Strikeouts, 1 Flyout

JESUS MANUEL LIRANZO RAMONo)o (vs. PHILLIES, 3/13) )) [ [Spring Training] 

IP:;)..l) 1

H:))))l  1 ll(1 Home Run)

R:ll)lll) 1

SO:l))l 2

Pitches: l) (Unavailable) 0

2017 ERA: l)  1.50 0(Spring Training)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.333 0(Spring Training)

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable)

On 3/12/2017 at 7:29 PM, Tony-OH said:

I just think Drake's stuff doesn't look sharp. Now coming into this spring I felt like he had the upper hand in a bullpen spot, and with a lack of options they may still try to keep him on the 25-man to start the season. But if he struggles early, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Orioles DFA him right after the season started because its easier to get a guy through waivers once the rosters are set for teams.

I hope Drake's stuff get better because 89-90 with an inconsistent splitter won't cut it.

Looks like it's an uphill battle for Drake.  Not only does he have to perform but he has to be able to pitch multiple inning outings.  He could make the initial 25 and if he struggles at all he'll be DFA'd for a fresh arm.  He's kind of this year's Chaz Roe.  

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Looks like it's an uphill battle for Drake.  Not only does he have to perform but he has to be able to pitch multiple inning outings.  He could make the initial 25 and if he struggles at all he'll be DFA'd for a fresh arm.  He's kind of this year's Chaz Roe.  

Kind of? I think he could be traded for a C or B- prospect

o

I have included Stewart's statistics in his 1.33 inning stint in the game against the Dominican Republic ....... a game that Major League Baseball and the Orioles do not include in its/their overall Spring Training statistics.

4 OUTS: o 2 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts 

ZACHARY ROBERT STEWART o)o (vs, PIRATES, 3/15)...[Spring Training]

IP:;)..l) 1.33   *

H:))))l  3 (1 Home Run, 1 Double, 1 Single) ll

R:ll)lll) 3

SO:l))l 0

Pitches: l) (Unavailable, Because I Suck)

2017 ERA: l)  2.700(Spring Training)

2017 WHIP: l)   01.000 (Spring Training)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .1540(Spring Training)

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable, Because I Suck)

*  Stewart entered the game with a runner on 3rd base and 2 outs in the bottom of the 5th inning.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Stewart took a big hit yesterday.   Its moves him back in the pack and helps Drake, Bleier, Aquino and probably others.

I don't think Stewart was ever in the running despite his good spring up until yesterday. The stuff is AAAA at best.

o

Liranzo has struck out 10 batters in 8 innings pitched so far this spring, has an ERA of 1.13, and opponents are batting .077 off of him.

He has also walked 7 batters in those 8 innings, though.

7 OUTS: o 3 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts, 2 Popouts *

JESUS MANUEL LIRANZO RAMONo)o (vs. PHILLIES, 3/16) )) [ [Spring Training] 

IP:;)..l) 2 )) 

H:))))l  0 ll

R:ll)lll) 0

BB:olll)1 

SO:l))l 3

Pitches: l) (Unavailable, Because I Suck) 0

2017 ERA: l)  1.13 0(Spring Training)

2017 WHIP: l)  1.125 0(Spring Training)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .077 0(Spring Training)

* Liranzo had to record 4 outs in the 8th inning, due to a runner reaching safely on a dropped 3rd strike.

PITCHES BY INNING

(Unavailable, Because I Suck) 

Roch Kubatko writes.

The Orioles have released right-hander Logan Ondrusek, who was on the 40-man roster but had been shelved with elbow discomfort. By releasing him now, the Orioles save a portion of the $650,000 he was owed for this season.

Archived