Spring Training Matters

wildcard

I have been jabbed all off season for saying that spring training would determine some roster spots and roles.   Now we see Rickard, Bourn, Gentry and Tavarez set up to battle for spots.  I still think ST performance matters. Both offensive and defensively.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure anyone has ever debated the importance of spring training for fringe players. That's often the make-or-break, unless a manager has a feeling about a guy or has basically already made his mind up before camp begins. Haven't we seen this play out a few times recently, where a guy basically hits his way onto the team somewhat unexpectedly?

1 minute ago, Sanfran327 said:

I'm not sure anyone has ever debated the importance of spring training for fringe players. That's often the make-or-break, unless a manager has a feeling about a guy or has basically already made his mind up before camp begins. Haven't we seen this play out a few times recently, where a guy basically hits his way onto the team somewhat unexpectedly?

Like Jake Fox?

I forget who it was, but someone yesterday did a good job explaining that while spring training matters, it's about more than stats.   I think where I've parted with you is your belief that Rickard could be getting starts vs. RHP early in the season if he hits them well this spring.     I'd say Rickard's spring matters as to whether he makes the team, but he's not going to play much at all vs. RHP early in the season.    Kim and Smith will get their starts, and keep their jobs if they do what they historically have done vs. RHP.    Just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I forget who it was, but someone yesterday did a good job explaining that while spring training matters, it's about more than stats.   I think where I've parted with you is your belief that Rickard could be getting starts vs. RHP early in the season if he hits them well this spring.     I'd say Rickard's spring matters as to whether he makes the team, but he's not going to play much at all vs. RHP early in the season.    Kim and Smith will get their starts, and keep their jobs if they do what they historically have done vs. RHP.    Just my opinion.

We will see.  Joey has to prove what he can do.  If he outhits them and plays better defense in ST it will get interesting.  Remember  he won the job last year in ST.

ST looks like it will determine jobs this year.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Rickard's 2017 spring means far more than his 2016. He would have had to really bomb to not make the team as a Rule V guy, since our management group likes to do everything they can to keep those guys. Now that we have more Rule V guys in camp this year, that's probably to Rickard's detriment, because if they perform somewhat equally, I think Buck and Dan will decide to keep a Rule V guy and stash Rickard in the minors.

8 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I think Rickard's 2017 spring means far more than his 2016. He would have had to really bomb to not make the team as a Rule V guy, since our management group likes to do everything they can to keep those guys. Now that we have more Rule V guys in camp this year, that's probably to Rickard's detriment, because if they perform somewhat equally, I think Buck and Dan will decide to keep a Rule V guy and stash Rickard in the minors.

Joey has the upper hand goes into ST.  Joey has already hit major league lefties which is a skill the O's need.  Tavarez is left-handed like Smith,  Kim and Bourn. Santander is injured. 

Still Joey can't have a  bad ST and make the roster.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We will see.  Joey has to prove what he can do.  If he outhits them and plays better defense in ST it will get interesting.  Remember  he won the job last year in ST.

ST looks like it will determine jobs this year.

How did that work out?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You left out the part about putting up a below replacement level season.

He was a rookie.  He is 26 and still improving.  Proved himself vs lefties.

His minor league numbers are impressive.  Show he has room to grow IMO

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good way to explain this. 

Archived