Spring Training Matters

wildcard

Got email from the Orioles today, and they said they pump 89 million into the Sarasota region from their year round activities there.

Sarasota County analysis: Orioles' annual economic impact is $89 million
Fast Facts
An independent impact analysis has concluded that the Orioles generate $89 million in annual economic impact from their year-round operations in Sarasota. Since the Orioles moved Major League Spring Training to Sarasota in 2010, more than 765,000 fans have enjoyed Orioles games at Ed Smith Stadium. Additionally, each year more than 25,000 participants and spectators visit the Orioles complex to participate in youth tournaments, baseball clinics, and sports leagues, and thousands more enjoy the club's "Arts in the Ballpark" series and other family-friendly, community events.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article mentioned that when the move/stadium rehab was proposed, the estimated annual impact was $35 mm, which they've more than doubled.     From everything I've seen, the Orioles have done a great job of promoting Sarasota and partnering with the city in multiple ways.     Looking forward to personally contributing to Sarasota's economy in 17 days (not that I'm counting!).

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The article mentioned that when the move/stadium rehab was proposed, the estimated annual impact was $35 mm, which they've more than doubled.     From everything I've seen, the Orioles have done a great job of promoting Sarasota and partnering with the city in multiple ways.     Looking forward to personally contributing to Sarasota's economy in 17 days (not that I'm counting!).

Havent other teams followed the Oriole's lead and moved into Sarasota for their ST facility?

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Braves will be (North Port) in 2019.

My understanding is that North Port is in Sarasota County, but 40 miles from the city of Sarasota.   It's actually closer to Port Charlotte, where the Rays play their spring training games.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My understanding is that North Port is in Sarasota County, but 40 miles from the city of Sarasota.   It's actually closer to Port Charlotte, where the Rays play their spring training games.   

Would be why I specified North Port.

Was my best guess as to what piece of news he was referring to.

On 2/21/2017 at 10:14 AM, wildcard said:

Tony, I don't like to disagree with you because you are normally right (no matter where you ranked Mancini).  But I think its up to Joey.   IMO he has the talent to be a leadoff hitter with a high OBP and some speed.    If he shows that, he has be play somewhere.  Smith and Kim both hit righties and not lefties ( so far).   But their range is poor.   If Joey outhits them in ST and plays better defense he gets a starting job in the outfield IMO.  Its up to Joey to show he can leverage what he did in the minors into the majors.

It is highly unlikely he will hit well enough in ST to take bats away from Kim and/or Smith aginst RHP. His defense isn't that much better.

Archived