One week to go, who are the Opening Day 25?

wildcard

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a long way to go till the 15th.  Toronto has a RH heavy lineup with 1 lefty and 2 SH's.  Vs, a LH SP they can throw 9 RH's hitters out there.  So to handicap the 4/15 start as of now,

1.  Ynoa

2.  Wilson

3.  Wright

4.  Verret

Nuno and Aquino wouldn't make much sense.  But would be in play for the next time a 5th SP is needed vs the Red Sox.  

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With Bourn's release, I think Gentry just made the OD 25 man.  

Was there ever a doubt?  

He makes sense for too many reasons:  Right handed, plus defender, platoon partner needed for Smith (Rickard is Kim's).  

I suppose we could have kept Mancini as the LH DH with Trumbo playing RF.  This always seemed less likely given Mancini's options and likely needing a roster spot for Tavarez. 

I saw Smith started in OF the other day. Does that mean no injury? That makes it harder for Gentry and Tavarez. I think Tavarez makes it. Do you then go with Mancini for his bat or Gentry for his glove? 

Locks (21):

Davis, Manny, Schoop, Hardy, Wellington, Joseph, Flaherty

Jones, Kim, Trumbo, Rickard

Gausman, Bundy, Ubaldo, Miley

Britton, Brach, O'Day, Givens, Hart, Ynoa

Likely (3):

Smith (if healthy), Tavarez, Nuno 

Bubble:

Wilson, Aquino, Gentry, Mancini

Unlikely:

Drake, Wright

Not sure how Ynoa ended up being a lock?  I'm not really interested in the race for the final bullpen spot (long reliever).  Nuno, Wilson, Aquino, Ynoa are all fairly interchangeable.  4-A guys we are getting excited about based on Spring Training numbers.  They could probably pick two of them out of a hat and it would make little difference.  

Gentry's gotta make the team.  He fills too many needs. 

Kind of surreal that Pedro Alvarez could be starting the season in the minors. 

Has a guy coming off his year with his resume every been in a position like this?  You would think he would have some type of opt-out and a team would scoop him up for their big league roster.  He could probably hit cleanup for a bunch of major league teams on opening day........but he'll be in Norfolk apparently.  

5 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Has a guy coming off his year with his resume every been in a position like this?  You would think he would have some type of opt-out and a team would scoop him up for their big league roster.  He could probably hit cleanup for a bunch of major league teams on opening day........but he'll be in Norfolk apparently.  

He's red hot too.

30 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He does have an opt out. I believe it's before mid May.

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I saw Smith started in OF the other day. Does that mean no injury? That makes it harder for Gentry and Tavarez. I think Tavarez makes it. Do you then go with Mancini for his bat or Gentry for his glove? 

Locks (21):

Likely (3):

Bubble:

Unlikely:

Drake, Wright

Good job. I'd take your 21. Add 

22. Smith (if healthy)

23. Gentry

24. Last BP arm

25. Tavarez (until we need a 5th SP on 4/15 or extra BP arm)

DL: Santander and Tillman

Both rule 5 guys make it but might not survive April with us. 

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Locks (21):

Likely (3):

Bubble:

Unlikely:

Drake, Wright

IMO Ynoa doesn't make the Opening Day roster but is in competition with Aquino to be called up for the April 15th start.     They will continue the competition in Norfolk the first week of April.

Wilson is picked for OD long man in the pen.

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe someone who is a lock isn't really a lock.

8 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Not sure how Ynoa ended up being a lock?  I'm not really interested in the race for the final bullpen spot (long reliever).  Nuno, Wilson, Aquino, Ynoa are all fairly interchangeable.  4-A guys we are getting excited about based on Spring Training numbers.  They could probably pick two of them out of a hat and it would make little difference.  

Gentry's gotta make the team.  He fills too many needs. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

IMO Ynoa doesn't make the Opening Day roster but is in competition with Aquino to be called up for the April 15th start.     They will continue the competition in Norfolk the first week of April.

Wilson is picked for OD long man in the pen.

I may be under-estimating Wilson and over-rating Ynoa. I really didn't see Wilson as an MLB pitcher after he wore down last year. Maybe he is healthy this year? Ynoa's MiLB stats are strangely similar to WIlson's. Sure, move Ynoa and Nuno to the bubble list as well. 

So that makes Nuno, Aquino, Wilson, Ynoa, Mancini and Gentry for 3 spots. I can see the case for/against any of these guys.

Archived