O's acquire Alec Asher - RHP

canonfaz

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Asher retired 18 out of the 20 batters that he faced in the first 6 innings. He ceded a solo home run, a single, and nothing else.

He gave up a lead-off double to start the 7th inning, and then got one more out before giving way to Mychal Givens.

19 OUTS:  )  5 Strikeouts5 Groundeouts, 3 Popouts, 2 Foulouts, 2 Lineouts, 2 Flyouts

ALEC EDWARD ASHER  )))))) (vs. RED SOX, 6/02) )) [  

IP:llll.l  6.33

H:lllllll.  3) ll(1 Home Run, 1 Double, 1 Single)

R:lllllllll. 2

BB:..lll.0

SO:..ll5

Pitches: 95 )(64 )Strikes, )31 lBalls)

2017 ERA: )  3.62 0

2017 WHIP: )  1.098 )   37.33 IP (41 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .239 )  33 for 138

PITCHES BY INNING 

***************** ))

10 l.(71 llStrikes, ) 31 llBalls) 

91 ..(81 llStrikes, ) 11 llBalls

17 ..(11 l)Strikes, ll 61 .lBalls) 

17 ..(10 l)Strikes, l71 .lBalls) 

14 ..(10 l)Strikes, . 41 .lBalls) 

22 ).(13 l)Strikes, ll 91 .lBalls) 

61 lll(51 l)Strikes, ll 11 llBalls)    ) *

* ) Asher recorded 2 outs before departing in the 7th inning.

o

For those who didn't see Asher's start, perhaps the most impressive thing was that he caused many of Boston's best hitters to get very weak contact. More pop-ups and weak grounders than I recall seeing in quite a while, mixed with harmless fly balls. Only Panda's opposite field homer was a mistake. Even Betts' double was softly hit.

Little to no at 'em balls or where great defense bailed him out. I don't even think the D had one tough chance.

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

For those who didn't see Asher's start, perhaps the most impressive thing was that he caused many of Boston's best hitters to get very weak contact. More pop-ups and weak grounders than I recall seeing in quite a while, mixed with harmless fly balls. Only Panda's opposite field homer was a mistake. Even Betts' double was softly hit.

Little to no at 'em balls or where great defense bailed him out. I don't even think the D had one tough chance.

Thanks for the recap. Good to hear. God knows we need pitching.

o

12 OUTS:  )  6 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts2 Popouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout 

ALEC EDWARD ASHER  )))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 6/08) )) [  

IP:lllllll  4

H:lllllll.  7) ll(2 Doubles, 5 Singles)

R:lllllllll. 5

BB:..lll.4

SO:..ll6

Pitches: 100 )(59 )Strikes, )41 lBalls)

2017 ERA: )  4.35 0

2017 WHIP: )  1.258 )   41.33 IP (52 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .261 )  40 for 153

PITCHES BY INNING 

41 .(21 lStrikes, l 20 l.Balls)l 

20 ll(11 llStrikes, .l 91 lBalls) 

22 ..(12 llStrikes, )10 lllBalls) 

17 lll(15 llStrikes, .l 21 llBalls) 

o

17 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I am with you.   I like the movement on his pitches.  Sounds like he just didn't have command early in the game.

Yeah, he wasn't good, certainly.   But there are an awful lot of seeing eye grounders, close plays at first that didn't go his way, and a ball that got by Davis that Manny probably would have had.

He still threw way too many pitches and regardless of the stuff I mention above.   It was not a good outing.   But it was not as awful as it seems.

1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I hope the Orioles give Asher at least 3-4 more starts. The Orioles could lose Miley, Ubaldo and Tillman next year. They need to see what they have in him.

If Buck really decides to give him a chance in the rotation, which he appears to be doing, he will give him a FULL chance. It's not like 2 starts and you're back to Norfolk. Hell, he kept Mike Wright here today when he could have used a fresh arm. To not punish Wright for pitching well. I think that doesn't sit well with Buck.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

If Buck really decides to give him a chance in the rotation, which he appears to be doing, he will give him a FULL chance. It's not like 2 starts and you're back to Norfolk. Hell, he kept Mike Wright here today when he could have used a fresh arm. To not punish Wright for pitching well. I think that doesn't sit well with Buck.

Plus to have Wright again in 2 or 3 days instead of 10.

Archived