Dylan Bundy 2017

Frobby

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game, and Bundy was in complete control.    Even the hits off him were not hit hard at all.

On the radio after the game, both Joe Angel and Dave Johnson were concerned about how many breaking pitches Bundy threw, and how that would impact his next start.   Johnson said he threw about 35 cutter/sliders, and Angel said he threw only about 22 fastballs all game.    Something to keep an eye on, I guess, but it's hard not to be thrilled with this outing.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was at the game, and Bundy was in complete control.    Even the hits off him were not hit hard at all.

On the radio after the game, both Joe Angel and Dave Johnson were concerned about how many breaking pitches Bundy threw, and how that would impact his next start.   Johnson said he threw about 35 cutter/sliders, and Angel said he threw only about 22 fastballs all game.    Something to keep an eye on, I guess, but it's hard not to be thrilled with this outing.   

He definitely threw more than 22 FBs. At the same time, I'm not sure Bundy will ever heavily rely on his FB. His breaking ball, cutter, and change are simple too good.

We could see a pitcher like Jon Lester who throws 50% FB and mixes in three other quality pitches.

12 minutes ago, VeveJones007 said:

He definitely threw more than 22 FBs. At the same time, I'm not sure Bundy will ever heavily rely on his FB. His breaking ball, cutter, and change are simple too good.

I tried to check the FB count on brooksbaseball.net, but their data is messed up.    They have Bundy throwing 117 pitches, but he only threw 99.

Bundy is throwing the flat fbs he did last year, he can make them run in on rhb and occasionally get sink, which should obviously help the hr numbers. He was much better today than he was in any game last year, he was, without question, the best player on the field tonight against a team that had a season of tape on him, it was impressive.

Velocity isn't there, but he has control right now which is good. We'll see if he gets some of that velocity back as we move on.

Found it interesting that he said he only threw a handful of changeups. His non-fastballs were mainly his curveball and :gasp: his cutter (slider). That's something to keep an eye on in 2017.

Please stay healthy, please stay healthy...he looked great today.

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Velocity isn't there, but he has control right now which is good. We'll see if he gets some of that velocity back as we move on.

Found it interesting that he said he only threw a handful of changeups. His non-fastballs were mainly his curveball and :gasp: his cutter (slider). That's something to keep an eye on in 2017.

Please stay healthy, please stay healthy...he looked great today.

He needed a 3rd pitch to throw to right handers, obviously, and he didn't like the results of the change to rhb ...now we have to hope we don't hear the word "tightness" all year.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I tried to check the FB count on brooksbaseball.net, but their data is messed up.    They have Bundy throwing 117 pitches, but he only threw 99.

I contacted them and they fixed it.   They now show Bundy having thrown 47 fastballs, 37 changeups (which includes the cutter/sliders) and 15 curve balls.    He got 14 whiffs on the change/cutter/sliders.   That's outstanding, so long as he doesn't hurt himself overusing the pitch.  

Archived