Where might Machado wind up if not in Baltimore.

1968_bills_fan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

There is zero chance that the Dodgers are benching Seager. They're not trading him either. He's an MVP candidate. If anyone goes, it would be Turner. Third is where Seager may well end up down the road anyway.

Good point. I guess I'm just not taking comfort (as an Orioles fan) in some idea that Seager creates a "log jam" for the Dodgers with respect to Machado. If they want a Seager-Machado left side of the infield- seems to me they can absolutely have it (with move you mentioned) and not bat an eye lash.

To me- even if "ringless" in this era (could change before '18 though)- the Dodgers of today are the closest comparison to the Yankees that AROD coveted in the mid 00's. Simple as moving the furniture around...

30 minutes ago, Eddie_Murray33 said:

Thinking of the Dodgers in particular- could easily see them adding Manny and putting Seager on the bench or trading him. Their "budget" is literally irrelevant. 

NYY of course (though I have my reservations above). I hear you on Miami, Philadelphia and NY Mets- though all seem risky (in an A-ROD/Texas kind of way) IMHO- particularly if you have similar offers on the table from say the Dodgers, NYY and Orioles (where you've already thrived). Who knows though...

Are we talking about the same player? The one who put up a .877 at age 22 and won ROY in the NL last season?  

He's not going to the bench and he won't be traded.  That's absurd. He's one of the top young stars in the game and cost-controlled.  

23 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

There is zero chance that the Dodgers are benching Seager. They're not trading him either. He's an MVP candidate. If anyone goes, it would be Turner. Third is where Seager may well end up down the road anyway.

Doubtful considering the Dodgers just signed him to a 4/64 deal.  I guess he could be moved to second base. 

The silver lining to the Manny free agency situation is that several of the big market teams already have young stars at SS and players entrenched at third base as well. 

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Doubtful considering the Dodgers just signed him to a 4/64 deal.  I guess he could be moved to second base. 

The silver lining to the Manny free agency situation is that several of the big market teams already have young stars at SS and players entrenched at third base as well. 

A move to second is a possibility, but keep in mind he'll be 34 and only have two of those years left on his contract when Manny comes available. The Dodgers could choose to flip him for prospects. If you get Manny, you don't worry about keeping a guy like Turner just because you signed him two years earlier.

Just a thought, if the Dodgers sign Manny then the Orioles will be looking for a third baseman. :P

2 hours ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

I don't think that the Orioles can afford Manny.  I guess he will get $20M/year for 10 years and our small market club can not afford that. I think we should shop him in 2018 and get something from the trade, rather than just get draft compensation.

I notice that the Japanese leagues have a method, where you have to PAY, just to talk trade, for their premier players.  Maybe the same thing might work and be legal here?  What I propose is that during 2018 we work the following plan.

[1] Announce that we will be attempting to trade him in 2018.

[2] Teams in the AL East are not in the running for this.

[3] Teams wanting to talk to the Orioles and Manny for a trade before his free agency, must do the following:

.....[a] supply the O's access to one of their top 3 prospects, which will give them a 2 month window to talk to Manny and arrange terms of a long term contract.

.... during this time the O's will select the prospect and do their famous physicals.  They will then have the contract of this player, regardless of the success with Manny.

.....[c]  If the talks don't work out, then Manny goes back on the market.

....[d]  If the talk, contract and trade do work out, then the Orioles select 5(?)  players out of the top 10 prosects from that organization.

Advantages:   we get something more than  a draft pick between the first and second round, but get 6(?)  players who are 1-4 years away from the majors.  We might get 3 25-man-roster players  and  1-3 40 man-roster players out of this .

Got a better idea or tweaks?

Yeah. No. I do. Play him unless the Orioles fall out of contention. Then trade him. Under the rules of baseball. Not something conjured. 

I'm thinking he's a future Yankee. Anyone who thinks the O's will pay a record setting deal is insane. I think the liklihood is close to zero. Yankees or Red Sox, maybe Philly as that will be when they will start trying to compete again. Dodgers always have to be a possibility considering they are huge spenders. My bet is NYY though. Love him while you can! His smugness is nice when he is in orange but in pinstripes it's gonna be hell.

Manny is great and I would love for him to be an Oriole forever but the Yankees have been cutting costs the last few years and are going to make a big splash at sometime soon. My guess is Manny will be one of their big signings.

Also, let's say we do resign Manny, I would be really apprehension about signing someone with Manny's medical history. I know he's been fine the last few years but I can't help but think his knees are still ticking time bombs. If we sign Manny to 30 million a year and he has a couple major injuries, it would be devastating to the team.

Archived