Where might Machado wind up if not in Baltimore.

1968_bills_fan

Manny Machado is a free agent in 2019 and his new contract will be huge.  He will be 26 years young, a gold glove calibre infielder and a hitter for power and average.  In addition, he has a lively personality and his Hispanic background will play well in many big city markets.  I expect he will cost in the neigborhood of $20 million a year for 10 years.   A long contract would tie him up with a city and club for most of the rest of his career.  I could see him going to LA, Boston, the Evil Empire or the Rangers.  Other ideas

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that the Orioles can afford Manny.  I guess he will get $20M/year for 10 years and our small market club can not afford that. I think we should shop him in 2018 and get something from the trade, rather than just get draft compensation.

I notice that the Japanese leagues have a method, where you have to PAY, just to talk trade, for their premier players.  Maybe the same thing might work and be legal here?  What I propose is that during 2018 we work the following plan.

[1] Announce that we will be attempting to trade him in 2018.

[2] Teams in the AL East are not in the running for this.

[3] Teams wanting to talk to the Orioles and Manny for a trade before his free agency, must do the following:

.....[a] supply the O's access to one of their top 3 prospects, which will give them a 2 month window to talk to Manny and arrange terms of a long term contract.

.... during this time the O's will select the prospect and do their famous physicals.  They will then have the contract of this player, regardless of the success with Manny.

.....[c]  If the talks don't work out, then Manny goes back on the market.

....[d]  If the talk, contract and trade do work out, then the Orioles select 5(?)  players out of the top 10 prosects from that organization.

Advantages:   we get something more than  a draft pick between the first and second round, but get 6(?)  players who are 1-4 years away from the majors.  We might get 3 25-man-roster players  and  1-3 40 man-roster players out of this .

Got a better idea or tweaks?

13 minutes ago, waroriole said:

A lot more than 20M. Probably close to 30 per

I think that the biggest long term contracts out there right now are $20M/year.  I don't disagree that Manny might be closer to $30M.   We are at $164M  (I think) right now.  Could we afford one fifth or a quarter of our total salary on one player?   I don't think so.  how many teams could afford that?

7 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

His friend and mentor is Alex Rodriguez, so it's not hard to figure out what team he dreamed of playing for while growing up...

The way things ended up between Rodriguez and NY, don't you think that may have an impact?

9 minutes ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

I think that the biggest long term contracts out there right now are $20M/year.  I don't disagree that Manny might be closer to $30M.   We are at $164M  (I think) right now.  Could we afford one fifth or a quarter of our total salary on one player?   I don't think so.  how many teams could afford that?

Kershaw makes over 32M a year.

5 minutes ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

Stanton got 13 years and $325 million three years ago. Manny will blow past that. Arizona is paying Zack Greinke $34.5 million a year over six years. Price is getting $31 million a year in a seven-year deal with the Red Sox. There are a lot of contracts well beyond $20 million a year these days. Heck, that's not much more than the qualifying offer for this year ($17.2 million), which is the average of the top 125 players.

20 mil for ten years? Ha. We are paying Davis more than that AAV.

Try 35 mil for 8-10 years. Maybe with an opt out half way through. 

I think they will make Manny an offer. Probably won't be enough. I also have a gut feeling they will let him play his contract out and he will be a Yankee in 2018.

Archived