Chance Sisco: 'I'll Be Ready' When Orioles Call

PressBoxOnline

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The biggest thing for Sisco next year will be if Welington Castillo opts out or not. If so, he's ticketed to Norfolk for the year with a callup if an injury happens to Joseph or Beef. 

ST will be huge for him. He'll get a ton of reps and teams always run more in ST. 

If Beef opts to stay Dan could still decide to trade him.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Beef opts to stay Dan could still decide to trade him.

Mr. Corn,

I thought we've been over this?   Beef is opting out.   He will not be our starting catcher in 2018 unless we pull another Chris Davis / Mark Trumbo.  I would bet dozens of bubblegum cards on it.

Sincerely,

Me

11 hours ago, Aglets said:

Mr. Corn,

I thought we've been over this?   Beef is opting out.   He will not be our starting catcher in 2018 unless we pull another Chris Davis / Mark Trumbo.  I would bet dozens of bubblegum cards on it.

Sincerely,

Me

I figured it was 50/50 earlier in the year, I think it is over 80% he goes now.

But I don't like to pretend things are definite when they are not.

• 2 weeks later...

Worth noting: in 4 games caught, Sisco allowed 5 stolen bases (0 CS) and had 1 passed ball and allowed two wild pitches.     I only saw one of the steal attempts, and on that one Hunter or Bordick said it was stolen on the pitcher, but I did think that Sisco took too long to get rid of the ball and his throw bounced and wasn't very strong.    I did not watch enough of the games Sisco caught to get a strong impression, but the stats in this small sample are not too encouraging.    I did think he looked very comfortable receiving the ball.    Did anyone else form any impressions about his defense?

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

23%  Caught Stealing % in AAA this year.  Not super encouraging.  Wonder if they will try to find his 1.200 OPS bat a different position........ ;)

23% overall, but better as the year progressed and runners became far less aggressive.    But I think we can expect him to be subpar at the outset of his career.

By the way, of the 40 catchers who caught at least 500 innings this year, 15 of them had a CS% of 25% or lower.   8 of them were at 20% or lower.

I know the steal of third he allowed was on Manny not covering the bag quickly enough, the ball was there in time to beat the runner.

That said, he still took a moment too long to release the ball, hopefully that's something that can improve slightly.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Worth noting: in 4 games caught, Sisco allowed 5 stolen bases (0 CS) and had 1 passed ball and allowed two wild pitches.     I only saw one of the steal attempts, and on that one Hunter or Bordick said it was stolen on the pitcher, but I did think that Sisco took too long to get rid of the ball and his throw bounced and wasn't very strong.    I did not watch enough of the games Sisco caught to get a strong impression, but the stats in this small sample are not too encouraging.    I did think he looked very comfortable receiving the ball.    Did anyone else form any impressions about his defense?

Yes, he is not going to cut it as a catcher. Unfortunately, he is on a team loaded with DH's already.

1 hour ago, pastorfan said:

Yes, he is not going to cut it as a catcher. Unfortunately, he is on a team loaded with DH's already.

That's quite an early and arbitrarily judgement unless you have some info the rest of us don't to back it up.

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

That's quite an early and arbitrarily judgement unless you have some info the rest of us don't to back it up.

Nothing wrong with people using the "eye test." 

Plus, saying it's "early and arbitrary" is egregious since atleast a few people have been saying it for a while, so it's not quite "early." ?

I think the Winter Meetings and Spring Training will really show how comfortable they are with a Joseph/Sisco combo.

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Plus, saying it's "early and arbitrary" is egregious since atleast a few people have been saying it for a while, so it's not quite "early." ?

I think the Winter Meetings and Spring Training will really show how comfortable they are with a Joseph/Sisco combo.

There's always your buddy Wynns. I heard Duquette praising him when Joe Angel interviewed him during the final game of the season.   

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There's always your buddy Wynns. I heard Duquette praising him when Joe Angel interviewed him during the final game of the season.   

Really? I wasn't able to watch any of the last games due to work. 

That's why this winter is important. He is a Rule 5 and if the Orioles add him to the 40, they are really showing interest.

53 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Well there are plenty of smart baseball people who think he can stick at catcher, so I think it's fair to say that a fan (who has probably only seen him play a handful of times) calling that he's hopeless there is "early and arbitrary".

If the Orioles don't like Sisco at catcher (I think they do like him there) they should trade him to a team who will play him there.  He doesn't have the bat for DH and the team already has a surplus of young outfielders.

I know you want Wynns to get a shot, I do too, but maybe the best thing for him is to get left off the 40 and picked by another team in the rule 5 draft.

25 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Really? I wasn't able to watch any of the last games due to work. 

That's why this winter is important. He is a Rule 5 and if the Orioles add him to the 40, they are really showing interest.

It was on the radio broadcast, when Duquette sat in for an inning and answered questions.    Angel was asking him about what we do about catcher if Castillo leaves.    Of course Duquette mentioned Sisco, but he also said something like "there's the kid Austin Wynns who had a really nice year in AA and is a good defender, and we also like Pena."

Archived