Slade-OH

3 hours ago, joeyc said:

If they send down a player that has actually been contributing and they keep Jimenez on this team, they are nuts. To me it's easy, DFA Jimenez, Bye Bye Ubaldo. That's what I would do.

Buck and DD will figure it out. KG hasn't pitched well either. You don't do away with pitching. Even Ubaldo. He does pitch well at times. IMO

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, joeyc said:

If they send down a player that has actually been contributing and they keep Jimenez on this team, they are nuts. To me it's easy, DFA Jimenez, Bye Bye Ubaldo. That's what I would do.

While this may happen eventually, it won't happen this early in the season.

5 hours ago, joeyc said:

Would you say Stefan Crichton has been "contributing"? I wouldn't. Nine of the 15 batters he's faced have reached base, and even some of the outs he got were on long fly balls.

Crichton is the obvious choice to get optioned. The Orioles can get by with four starters until May 2, so they can have both Aquino and Asher in the bullpen and still have a 7-man pen. That leaves room for a five-man bench, including Rickard.

Of course, that means the Orioles will have another decision to make on May 2 when they need a fifth starter again. But for now, they can kick the can down the road for a week.

11 minutes ago, Larry18 said:

If Rickard is optioned for over 20 days, the O's gain another year of control.

Very good point.    It would almost be silly not to do this, given the roster crunch we have.    

As an aside, it's amazing that Ryan Flaherty has never been sent to the minors for 20 days at any time during his tenure, and will be a free agent this fall.    

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Baring injury, i dont see Joey coming off the DL and onto the parent club. Its a numbers crunch and only so much playing time, and I dont see Mancini or Kim going anywhere. The only option is Gentry and I think he stays over Joey at this point. Again, IMO

I prefer Gentry off the bench too. He's a much better base stealer (78 SBs in 91 attempts) and superior defensive outfielder. He brings a different dimension to the team. I just wish Buck gave Kim more of an opportunity to play against left-handed pitchers. Just let him play once or twice a week against left-handed starters and see how it goes. If he can't hit them, give Gentry or Rickard all of the ABs against lefties. 

It better not be Gentry that goes.  For too many years we have not had a guy that could reliably swipe a bag at the end of a game when necessary.  Lough couldn't do it.  Rickard couldn't either.  

Moreover, Rickard was less than amazing in the outfield last year. His UZR 150 was -22.1.  Gentry's this year is 22.3 in LF and has generally been in that range even in CF in his career.   

Send him down and let him tear up AAA.  

1 hour ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I prefer Gentry off the bench too. He's a much better base stealer (78 SBs in 91 attempts) and superior defensive outfielder. He brings a different dimension to the team. I just wish Buck gave Kim more of an opportunity to play against left-handed pitchers. Just let him play once or twice a week against left-handed starters and see how it goes. If he can't hit them, give Gentry or Rickard all of the ABs against lefties. 

I cant believe somebody negative rep you for stating your opinion. SMH

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

Would you say Stefan Crichton has been "contributing"? I wouldn't. Nine of the 15 batters he's faced have reached base, and even some of the outs he got were on long fly balls.

Crichton is the obvious choice to get optioned. The Orioles can get by with four starters until May 2, so they can have both Aquino and Asher in the bullpen and still have a 7-man pen. That leaves room for a five-man bench, including Rickard.

Of course, that means the Orioles will have another decision to make on May 2 when they need a fifth starter again. But for now, they can kick the can down the road for a week.

This makes the ovious sense. By then someone struggles gets injured, who knows?

56 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I cant believe somebody negative rep you for stating your opinion. SMH

Obviously his post is not neg rep worthy, but I've noticed that the thumbs up/thumbs down button is easily hit when scrolling on a phone.

27 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Obviously his post is not neg rep worthy, but I've noticed that the thumbs up/thumbs down button is easily hit when scrolling on a phone.

I've accidentally repped my own posts a bunch of times.    

9 hours ago, joeyc said:

Are you an idiot? Ubaldo actually pitched very well for us in the 2 months of last year. This year, in the one game he's pitched where the temperature has been over 60 degrees, he pitched into the 8th inning. He can't grip the ball in cold weather. Let him fail at least 3 times in decent weather.

Rigth now the stats are, Ubaldo is 100% in good weather and 100% awful in bad weather. Most of his starts will occur this year in good weather.

How many games has Rickard won for us ever? He's a defensive replacement type midfielder. You don't give up on starting pitching. 

Archived