Some Captain Obvious advise to Buck

1968_bills_fan

54 minutes ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

Uh,  it was the Wednesday game and not the Tuesday game. How else would you specify to a reader which game you were talking about.    ??    Regardless, Davis and Trumbo have not been carrying their weight and have been leaving runners in scoring position.  

By the way,   note that Kim (one hit, one BB and one run scored) almost matched Davis's output. (one hit, two BB and one run scored).   Smith was all over Trumbo. 

You could say "tonight's game" which wouldn't imply past tense. Your posts have the date/time shown. 

And how is Kim having a good night an indictment of Davis's performance?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, backwardsk said:

What is his track record against lefties?

He hasn't been allowed to compile a track record in the US, even during spring training. Yet even Buck acknowledges that Kim did fine against lefties in the KBO. Who knows?--the few appearances he's had against LHP may be as meaningless or misleading as his 2015 spring training stats against RHP turned out to be. At the same time, his 4 walks in 23 PAs vs. LHP suggest that he at least maintains his great sense of the strike zone and when to swing.

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

He hasn't been allowed to compile a track record in the US, even during spring training. Yet even Buck acknowledges that Kim did fine against lefties in the KBO. Who knows?--the small number of appearances he's had against LHP may be as meaningless or misleading as his 2015 spring training stats against RHP turned out to be. At the same time, his 4 walks in 23 PAs vs. LHP suggests that he at least maintains his great sense of the strike zone and when to swing.

Sure.  But I was replying to a statement that he has a track record. I'm okay with giving him some opportunity against lefties, especially when we are seeing so many early in the season.  

33 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

My advice to Buck.  Let Schoop get some rest in the weekend series.  Not because he is playing poorly, just because he needs some rest at some point.

In my opinion, the schedule in April has been leisurely enough that resting healthy young players isn't really necessary.    We've had five days off in the first four weeks.   After today, we play 17 games in a row.     It would be a good idea to give some players a breather in the middle part of that stretch.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

In my opinion, the schedule in April has been leisurely enough that resting healthy young players isn't really necessary.    We've had five days off in the first four weeks.   After today, we play 17 games in a row.     It would be a good idea to give some players a breather in the middle part of that stretch.   

Or, you know, one game off in August.

I'm sure if Schoop needs a day off before then he can get suspended.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or, you know, one game off in August.

I'm sure if Schoop needs a day off before then he can get suspended.

I think Buck may change his approach a little this year.    He's already given Hardy two days off.    Obviously, Hardy is older and is off to a slow start, so it's easier to do.    But I think it's a sign that Buck may try to do a bit of preventive maintenance this year.    We'll see.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think Buck may change his approach a little this year.    He's already given Hardy two days off.    Obviously, Hardy is older and is off to a slow start, so it's easier to do.    But I think it's a sign that Buck may try to do a bit of preventive maintenance this year.    We'll see.

I wonder whether his experience with Wieters has led him to rest Castillo more than I expected.

On 4/26/2017 at 0:08 PM, ORIOLE33 said:

I keep seeing people respond to posts with "We are in 1st".

Being in 1st place in April doesn't means squat.

Maybe not, but being 14-6 certainly does. Those wins count just as much now as they do in September.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Buck often talks about wanting to rest his regulars more, but in the end he usually doesn't. The Orioles had five players with 152+ starts last season, most of any team in the league. Schoop started every game. Manny started every game except when he was suspended. Davis and Jones started every game except when they were too injured to play. And those same five guys (Manny, Schoop, Davis, Jones, Trumbo) have started every game so far this year.

Excluding Hardy, Buck just doesn't give his regulars a "healthy" day off. If they're not injured or suspended, they're in the lineup.

o

I keep seeing people respond to posts with "We are in 1st."

o

o

With that line of reasoning, we shouldn't even bother commenting and/or critiquing about the games at all until June or July.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Blue Jays, with a record of 6-14. I don't think that their fans feel that the fact that they are in last place in April (8 games behind the Orioles) doesn't mean squat.

o

25 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

With that line of reasoning, we shouldn't even bother commenting and/or critiquing about the games at all until June or July.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Blue Jays, with a record of 6-14. I don't think that their fans feel that the fact that they are in last place in April (8 games behind the Orioles) doesn't mean squat.

o

Blue Jays fans are debating now whether 50 or 81 wins is a better outcome for their team in 2017.

http://www.bluejaysmessageboard.com/threads/7390-50-or-81

45 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

I think getting off to a bad start means much more than getting off to a hot start. Don't get me wrong, it's good to get off to a hot start, but the season is a marathon. 

Plus, in April, you don't quite know if you're just hot or you're really that good. 

I always say that you can't win a World Series in April, but you can darn near be eliminated in April.

I keep seeing people respond to posts with "We are in 1st."

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

32 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I think getting off to a bad start means much more than getting off to a hot start. Don't get me wrong, it's good to get off to a hot start, but the season is a marathon. 

Plus, in April, you don't quite know if you're just hot or you're really that good. 

I always believed that you can't win a World Series in April, but you can darn near be eliminated in April.

o

That's now how your original post came across to Paul Folk and myself.

The Orioles are off to a hot start, and you seemed to be belittling those who were pointing it out. If people are saying that the Orioles are in first place and that therefore they will likely win the division, that's another story. I don't believe that simply pointing out that they are in 1st place 20 games into the season is particularly extravagant.

o

Archived