Scouting Report on Aaron Crow -- Draft Preview

Scouting report for Aaron Crow is up. I slot him in behind Smoak, but think he warrants some consideration on draft day. Potential arm issues down the road and durability (due to his size) are my primary concerns. I think he still rates below Matusz, but his stuff is advanced enough to make him the top righty in the draft. I'm a big fan of his mechanics, sans arm-cock and a little bit of a drag after he cocks it in his back swing. I wouldn't be angry if we drafted him, but I think he has some health set-backs before breaking into the Bigs, and ultimately I think he is best suited to be a power closer (and quite a good one at that).

Thanks for the scouting report, I just have one question. You have him ranked lower than Matusz but Crow is your top 6 on the draft board and Matusz is absent. Just curious, thanks.

Matusz's scouting report comes out this afternoon, and he will rank ahead of Crow when posted.

Seems like some contradictions in this report. You like his mechanics EXCEPT for two issues involved in his mechanics. That's like saying a find a woman attractive except for her ugly face and big beer gut.

You'd be ok taking someone who projects (in your own opinion) as a closer with the 4th pick? Unless he was the next Mariano Rivera, I'd be pretty disappointed with that.

I don't think they are necesarrily contradictions. He could be a very good starter, but he does have some things that may creep up and cause concern. He has mainly solid mechanics except for that little thing. If he does wind up with issues, then he will have to make a move to the pen.

Does that make sense? He could be a very good starter (that is why he is so high), but he may be better suited for the pen (which is why he isnt the top starter). It is a projection thing. Anyway, I think Stotle has him rated toward the lower end of the top ten.

I could be wrong though.

Seems like some contradictions in this report. You like his mechanics EXCEPT for two issues involved in his mechanics. That's like saying a find a woman attractive except for her ugly face and big beer gut.

You'd be ok taking someone who projects (in your own opinion) as a closer with the 4th pick? Unless he was the next Mariano Rivera, I'd be pretty disappointed with that.

First, I think you are basing the post on the assumption that there is such thing as perfect mechanics for a draftee. Maybe you've seen draftees with flawless deliveries -- I have not.

Second, saying there are only two issues with mechanics, neither of which have affected the effectiveness of the pitcher, is pretty high praise.

Third, I think you are glossing over the part where I point to his electric stuff.

Finally, you are leaving out the part where I have ranked sixth* on my personal draft list, meaning I'd take someone else. The "consideration" for drafting him means he is worthy of discussion and 1:4, which he certainly is. I don't recall, but I think I had 4 as the very highest I would recommend anyone taking him.

*Note Matusz comes out this afternoon and will be ranked 3rd....thanks for making me ruin the surprise :(

Archived