Jump to content

It's Mychal Givens Time


Beef Supreme

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The first time I saw Givens pitched I thought he had great movement and speed together. Possibly a future closer.

Is now the time to see if he can handle that role? What say ye, OHers?

Unless you think he made a serious adjustment this season his career .828 OPS allowed to LHB would seem to eliminate him from contention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which would be why I started with "Unless you think he made ...".

I was very much aware of how he has done this year.

 

If you know how he has done vs LHB this year, what is your point? He's obviously made serious adjustment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Do you think he's made adjustments or are both is 2016 and 2017 numbers the quirks of sss?

His Brooks page shows similar pitch usage.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/outcome.php?player=571710&time=&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=05/11/2017&s_type=2

I'll go with quirks at this stage, but sidearm pitchers tend to have more severe splits so I am still not convinced he should be facing a steady diet or left handed hitters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

If you know how he has done vs LHB this year, what is your point? He's obviously made serious adjustment.

Obviously?

It's 25 plate appearances.

Nothing is obvious in 25 plate appearances.

It is not as if he has learned a new pitch or greatly increased his change up usage. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I say matchups should dictate who gets the call. If we need Givens in a high leverage situation in the 7th, then O'Day in the 9th. I am OK with Brach if he is rested, I just think he needs a couple of days off sometimes. He had been used 4 of the last 6 and that is too much, especially having been shaky the last time out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I say matchups should dictate who gets the call. If we need Givens in a high leverage situation in the 7th, then O'Day in the 9th. I am OK with Brach if he is rested, I just think he needs a couple of days off sometimes. He had been used 4 of the last 6 and that is too much, especially having been shaky the last time out.

But Buck is an assigned roles guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Obviously?

It's 25 plate appearances.

Nothing is obvious in 25 plate appearances.

It is not as if he has learned a new pitch or greatly increased his change up usage. 

 

That's over 25% of LHB he faced last season. When does the sample size become significant?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...