I Have A Take On Manny's "Hotdogging It".

ORIOLE33

Manny should definitely be the one held responsible for it, but I have yet heard anyone mention Buck's responsibility.

IMO, Manny hotdogs It because Buck allows it. That's on Buck. Do you believe Manny would try that with a manager like Weaver or Bobby Cox? Remember when Cox pulled Andrew Jones from a game for hotdogging it? It's called tough love. I still remember Carlton Fisk getting in Deion Sanders' face for not running hard down the line. Fisk was on the other team. Palpavon getting in Harper's face for not running down the line. Again, tough love. 

The next time Manny hotdogs it or doesn't hustle down the line and nothing happens, don't look at Manny, look at Buck.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Manny should definitely be the one held responsible for it, but I have yet heard anyone mention Buck's responsibility.

IMO, Manny hotdogs It because Buck allows it. That's on Buck. Do you believe Manny would try that with a manager like Weaver or Bobby Cox? Remember when Cox pulled Andrew Jones from a game for hotdogging it? It's called tough love. I still remember Carlton Fisk getting in Deion Sanders' face for not running hard down the line. Fisk was on the other team. Palpavon getting in Harper's face for not running down the line. Again, tough love. 

The next time Manny hotdogs it or doesn't hustle down the line and nothing happens, don't look at Manny, look at Buck.

To be clear, Papelbon did not "get in Harper's face"-- he literally choked him. That's not "tough love," that's assault.

Please never suggest doing anything of that nature to Manny or any Oriole.

3 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

To be clear, Papelbon did not "get in Harper's face"-- he literally choked him. That's not "tough love," that's assault.

Please never suggest doing anything of that nature to Manny or any Oriole.

Is that what you got out of it? I see why guys like Manny feel entitled. No one has the courage to stand up to them.

3 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Is that what you got out of it? I see why guys like Manny feel entitled. No one has the courage to stand up to them.

I'm not saying nobody should talk to Manny. What I'm saying is that the Papelbon/Harper incident is a horrible, horrible example of the point you were trying to make.

Here's my take on Manny: he's a great player who is struggling a little at the plate this year, and we're in a losing streak, so now he's a convenient scapegoat.    I have no trouble with the level of effort he gives on a daily basis, and I think he's a good teammate.   Buck should continue to play him virtually every day, with maybe an occasional day off to rest up, but there is no reason whatsoever to sit him for disciplinary reasons.   He's done nothing to warrant that kind of treatment.

5 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I'm not saying nobody should talk to Manny. What I'm saying is that the Papelbon/Harper incident is a horrible, horrible example of the point you were trying to make.

But it was a response to Harper not hustling. Not saying Buck or anyone else should choke Manny.

Next time Manny doesn't give the best effort, Buck needs to pull him from the game.

Just now, Frobby said:

Here's my take on Manny: he's a great player who is struggling a little at the plate this year, and we're in a losing streak, so now he's a convenient scapegoat.    I have no trouble with the level of effort he gives on a daily basis, and I think he's a good teammate.   Buck should continue to play him virtually every day, with maybe an occasional day off to rest up, but there is no reason whatsoever to sit him for disciplinary reasons.   He's done nothing to warrant that kind of treatment.

It really has nothing to do with him struggling or how the O's are playing. Hustle should never go into a slump. Look at Jones. He drives me crazy with his approach at the plate, but one thing no one can ever say is that he doesn't hustle.

Last year Manny ran the bases like a little leaguer, not seeing that this year. He and the team were basically universally praised for how the handled the Boston mess. It did bother me the other night when he didn't run to 1st after he struck out. 

I get the frustration to an extent but it is overblown. He is never going to be viewed as a blue collar type of player. 

3 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

But it was a response to Harper not hustling. Not saying Buck or anyone else should choke Manny.

Next time Manny doesn't give the best effort, Buck needs to pull him from the game.

It was idiotic. You think Cal Ripken busted it down the line on every ground ball out? Good grief. 

Just now, ORIOLE33 said:

It really has nothing to do with him struggling or how the O's are playing. Hustle should never go into a slump. Look at Jones. He drives me crazy with his approach at the plate, but one thing no one can ever say is that he doesn't hustle.

If you think all sluggers bust it all the time you aren't paying attention. In a perfect world this happens but it doesn't. Manny let's his frustration get to him at times no doubt about that. 

Archived