Fahey up, Knott down (!)

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uh, color me stupid but wouldn't an upgrade defensively at shortstop help by possibly enabling more double plays as well as Fahey having more range than Tejada allowing him to get to more balls hit in the hole or near second base?:confused:

Fahey's no Tejada at the plate but he is better defensively by far. He also is a good bunter, base stealer, and hustles his tail off. I don't see how anyone can not like this kid.:rolleyes:

At any rate, we are not really looking at him as replacing Tejada but rather replacing Gomez/Bynum at short. This move is going to help this team, I guarantee it. Knott wasn't doing anything anyhow other than warming the bench, and he wasn't exactly tearing it up in the minors either.

Why would Gomez need a bunch of days off? He's a utility player, which means he's supposed to be ready when a starter gets injured. One just did. Ergo...

If we had Frank & Brooks and Boog on this team and four twenty game winners who pitched every fourth day we might be able to hide a Belanger clone. Unfortunately this can’t be done with this team and in this era. A low 600 OPS just isn’t enough.

Why would Gomez need a bunch of days off? He's a utility player, which means he's supposed to be ready when a starter gets injured. One just did. Ergo...

He won't, but he will need some as we are approaching the hottest stretch (temp and humidity) of the season, and Gomez is not used to playing every day and shortstop is a demanding position. Fahey also has a lot more range than Gomez, and I expect to see him used a lot late in games for defensive purposes.

He won't, but he will need some as we are approaching the hottest stretch (temp and humidity) of the season, and Gomez is not used to playing every day and shortstop is a demanding position. Fahey also has a lot more range than Gomez, and I expect to see him used a lot late in games for defensive purposes.

Then shouldn't Bynum have been the guy to go? The whole reason we had him in the first place was his versatility. He's supposed to be able to pinch run, play SS/2B, play OF, ... If he really can't do all of that, he needs to go. If he can do all of that, Fahey is irrelevant.

Basherman, you really think that JUly 31 is going to mean anything significant other than being the last day in July?

McPhail has pointed at July 31 as the first important day on his watch, so I am looking for the Orioles to be active on the market this year. (Of course, I also buy lottery tickets every week, so what do I know? :rolleyes: )

McPhail has pointed at July 31 as the first important day on his watch, so I am looking for the Orioles to be active on the market this year. (Of course, I also buy lottery tickets every week, so what do I know? :rolleyes: )

If that's the first important date on his watch, then he's going to waste the entire month of July. Maybe someone should let him know he doesn't have to wait until then...

I don't know if this was mentioned, but it's not like Knott is giong to get the Orioles an extra run or two a game. I think bringing up Fahey will make them more sound defensivly, helping them to prevent runs and win games. This offense is going to suck with Tejada out, but I think bringing Fahey up who can actually play DEFENSE, unlike Knott, will help this ballclub win games.

Most NL teams only have one automatic out in the lineup. This team could have as many as four or five depending on how much they ignore platoon splits.

Now, Drungo, I didn't say they were going to be a good NL-style team... :eek:

Seriously, though, I get your point. It's pretty clear that just about everyone here (including me) would construct this roster differently than it has been. (Surprisingly, given that I'm slow and plodding on the basepaths, I like to see the speed guys play.) I think that they're really looking at (starting) pitching and defense as the factor that will carry this team to whatever victories it gets...and despite that, they will continue to try to get Gibbons straightened out while playing LF most of the time.

In 2006, the Orioles PH'ers hit a pathetic 088/131/088/219 (pitchers hit 211/250/368/618), can the 2007 Orioles break that? Maybe not at they are hitting 185/258/370/628, but with moves like bringing up Fahey, their trying.

With this information, won't it make sense to use our DH to hit for Fahey and allow our pitchers to hit?

Is this even allowed? Can you Designate your DH to hit for someone other than your pitcher?

I don't need to wait for results to know that a 3rd no-hit utility player won't help the Baltimore Orioles more than someone to platoon with the myriad corner players who can't hit lefties.

This is not a move I am not sure I can defend. But I also don't think it is the end of the world. I feel like many posters are trying to find made the move so they can lynch him on the spot. I don't understand it.

With this information, won't it make sense to use our DH to hit for Fahey and allow our pitchers to hit?

Is this even allowed? Can you Designate your DH to hit for someone other than your pitcher?

In some amateur leagues yes, but not in the AL. The DH has to hit for the pitcher.

Then shouldn't Bynum have been the guy to go? The whole reason we had him in the first place was his versatility. He's supposed to be able to pinch run, play SS/2B, play OF, ... If he really can't do all of that, he needs to go. If he can do all of that, Fahey is irrelevant.

I have no problem replacing Bynum with Fahey. I see your point as Fahey can do everything Bynum can do and also is a much better shortstop. I believe though (could be wrong on this) that Bynum is out of options and if they send him down they could lose him? (someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but I seem to have heard or read that somewhere along the line).

I have no problem replacing Bynum with Fahey. I see your point as Fahey can do everything Bynum can do and also is a much better shortstop. I believe though (could be wrong on this) that Bynum is out of options and if they send him down they could lose him? (someone please correct me if I am wrong here, but I seem to have heard or read that somewhere along the line).

Actually, my point is that Fahey can't do everything Bynum can do. He can't run. He doesn't hit as well. BUT, if you MUST have him, Bynum is the guy to og.

Archived