Have you given up on the Orioles being a playoff contender in 2017?

Frobby

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, crawjo said:

Playoff contender is a really low bar with the second wild card. To me, a team in the Orioles position should sell at the deadline unless they think they have a realistic shot at winning the division. 

That's not my test, though I can understand the logic.    But what constitutes a realistic chance of winning the division?    Right now we're 4.5 games out of the division lead (4 games in the loss column) and 1.5 games out of the second wild card (2 games in the loss column).     From a mathematical standpoint, I'd say we have a realistic chance to win the division; the Red Sox were 5.5 games back at this point last year.     From a talent standpoint, however, it seems kind of unlikely that we could make a run.     At the end of the day, I'd just sit back for another 3+ weeks and see what transpires.    But if we're in the exact same position then as we are now, I won't expect a sell-off.    We have a pretty soft schedule in late July and August.

Pretty tough schedule the first 3 weeks of July... after that hopefully it will be clear to even DD that we should be sellers

But it won't convince Dan, he will trade minor leaguers for multiple washed up veterans so that we can say we were all in.

16 hours ago, crawjo said:

Playoff contender is a really low bar with the second wild card. To me, a team in the Orioles position should sell at the deadline unless they think they have a realistic shot at winning the division. 

I disagree. But I'm old. 

On 6/28/2017 at 5:41 PM, Frobby said:

OK, we've all had a chance to take a deep breath now, with the O's winning three straight, getting back to .500, and actually holding opponents under 5 runs in two of the last three games.   Panic mode is over, but everybody knows the flaws this team has, which have been very apparent over the last six weeks.

So my question is, have you given up on the O's being a playoff contender for 2017?    From a mathematical perspective, they're clearly still in contention, 1.5 games out of the second wild card spot.    But has the trend of the last six weeks convinced you to a high degree of certainty that this team won't be in the thick of the race come September?

I'll give you my answer: I haven't given up yet.    I've been a fan for more than 50 years and I've seen too many times where a team's season took a drastic turn.    In 30 days or so, management is going to have to make its best guess as to its' realistic chances of competing this year, but I see no good reason to rush that process.   A couple of starting pitchers get things turned around, and things could look drastically different.    I'm not very optimistic, but I see no reason to rush the process, either.  

One more thing: I know there are posters who would say that even if we might be able to sneak into the wild card, there's no chance we could seriously contend for a championship.   I don't buy it.    We're not as good as the Astros and several other teams, but if we're good enough to get in the playoffs, there's always an appreciable chance of getting on a roll and making a deep run.   It happens plenty often enough.   

Still watching so I ain't given up yet LOL

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Pretty tough schedule the first 3 weeks of July... after that hopefully it will be clear to even DD that we should be sellers

But it won't convince Dan, he will trade minor leaguers for multiple washed up veterans so that we can say we were all in.

Given Dan's current contract status there's no reason whatsoever for him to want to sell at the deadline.  There's no reason for Buck to want to, period.  Ownership will make the decision, not Duquette and if ownership wants to stay in, then Dan will trade what he has to work with.

Which ain't much.  

Just now, 24fps said:

Given Dan's current contract status there's no reason whatsoever for him to want to sell at the deadline.  There's no reason for Buck to want to, period.  Ownership will make the decision, not Duquette and if ownership wants to stay in, then Dan will trade what he has to work with.

Which ain't much.  

Yep well said.

11 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Which ain't much.  

And at this point NO WAY Big Peter is selling. ;)

16 minutes ago, scOtt said:

And at this point NO WAY Big Peter is selling. ;)

I don't think so either.  I don't know what DD would do if he had a few more years on his contract and the decision were his alone, but this year I believe it's not his call.  He's here to march if told to.  All the Duquette bashing by certain posters at this point is purely agenda-driven IMO.

1.5 games back; no one's really killing it except Houston, and the O's have a lot of potential "what if's"

• What if Manny starts playing like a 6+ WAR baseball player
  • ...Britton and O'Day are healthy and back to form
  • ...Gausman has a 2nd half similar to last season
  • ...Jiminez: ditto
  • ...Trumbo and Jones pick up the pace a bit
  • ...the offense is steady enough to allow Davis time for a full recovery and he mashes during the stretch run
  • ...Mancini and Schoop keep smashing
  • ...Dan swings us an effective-ish starter or speed/defense oriented outfielder without giving up the (lack of) farm

One other thought: what if they Incorporated Tanner Scott and his 3 inning starts and paired him with Miley or Jiminez, who are usually good for 3-5 innings or Bundy if you are trying to manage his innings. He seems to be thriving in the role at Bowie. Can you see him tossing 100 mph heat the first time through the line up and watching them struggle to adjust the next time through with a drop in velocity?

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

1.5 games back; no one's really killing it except Houston, and the O's have a lot of potential "what if's"

• What if Manny starts playing like a 6+ WAR baseball player
  • ...Britton and O'Day are healthy and back to form
  • ...Gausman has a 2nd half similar to last season
  • ...Jiminez: ditto
  • ...Trumbo and Jones pick up the pace a bit
  • ...the offense is steady enough to allow Davis time for a full recovery and he mashes during the stretch run
  • ...Mancini and Schoop keep smashing
  • ...Dan swings us an effective-ish starter or speed/defense oriented outfielder without giving up the (lack of) farm

One other thought: what if they Incorporated Tanner Scott and his 3 inning starts and paired him with Miley or Jiminez, who are usually good for 3-5 innings or Bundy if you are trying to manage his innings. He seems to be thriving in the role at Bowie. Can you see him tossing 100 mph heat the first time through the line up and watching them struggle to adjust the next time through with a drop in velocity?

Exactly. All the doom and gloom here and we're .500. I'm just glad we have the afternoon to. It have 10 threads on the front page about blowing it up. 

We've basically been Schoop, Mancini, C position, Bundy, Givens and Brach. That's been the team. If other guys can't get going things can turn around real fast. I think knowing that we can shorten the games with a dominant pen helps the SP's. 

Archived