Teams that could/should be interested in Britton

Roll Tide

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No they wouldn't ... Calhoun is another poor fielding bat that a team is likely to try to hide in the corner OF. The Orioles should have no interest unless he is a throw in

I disagree. His bat is great and he's close. If he has to play in a corner OF spot it's not the end of the world if we believe in his bat enough. From what I gather he'd made strides defensively. Still is below average but he's not some black hole out there either.

Even while using defense as a major grading tool we continue to see Calhoun in top 100 prospect lists. If he's still making the list while being poor defenisvely it means something for the bat. Obviously I prefer all around players but Buehler, Alvarez, and Verdugo are all top 30-40 prospects. I really don't think we get two of them for Britton. It's going to be one of them along with 2-3 other prospects (1-2 of those 2-3 being pretty good upside/very solid spects such as Calhoun and co.).

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Valid. Be hard to say how O'Day would do it. He's under contract for two more seasons, so presumably wherever he landed would be his new home. And he's got a young family. So he'd have some thinking to do.

And his wife can't work in just any market.

4 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Are you trading both Brach and Britton here? 

Buehler is the 17th ranked prospect in baseball, him alone might get the Dodgers Britton. I think Stewart gets them Brach. I'd sign up for Buehler, Stewart and some lottery tickets for Brach/Britton in a heart beat. But I don't think you get Verdugo if they give up Buehler. 

Britton is getting more than one top 20 prospect. Chapman who was expiring last year got more than one and Britton has another year of control. You're undervaluing Britton here.

3 minutes ago, Hotdiggity said:

BA notes that Buehler will make the biggest jump in the mid season top 100. there's also video of Dodger Player Development Director Gabe Kapler praising Buehlers work ethic and working out together on Kapler's account. Combine that with the Dodgers reluctance to deal players they truly believe untouchable in Seager, Urias, and Bellinger for that "missing piece" in Cole Hamels or David Price I think it's safe to say they value Buehler the same and he won't go for Britton. Right or wrong it just is what it is. 

The Dodgers are free to hang onto whomever they want. Thing is, they're going to have to pay a hefty price to get a stud relief pitcher. That's just the price the market has settled at. I've seen different stories from Dodger writers claiming that any number of their guys should be "untouchable." But making untouchable players touchable is the cost of doing business if you're trying to shore up for a WS run.

3 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Are you trading both Brach and Britton here? 

Buehler is the 17th ranked prospect in baseball, him alone might get the Dodgers Britton. I think Stewart gets them Brach. I'd sign up for Buehler, Stewart and some lottery tickets for Brach/Britton in a heart beat. But I don't think you get Verdugo if they give up Buehler. 

Yes, both Brach and Britton.  That's where I'd start and if they won't let go of Buehler, which is likely, I make them either pay up, pivot to Houston, or trade him in the offseason if you don't like their counter.

Regarding Alvarez, when I read "still needs to repeat his delivery more consistently" I get nervous.

Just now, backwardsk said:

Yes, both Brach and Britton.  That's where I'd start and if they won't let go of Buehler, which is likely, I make them either pay up, pivot to Houston, or trade him in the offseason if you don't like their counter.

Regarding Alvarez, when I read "still needs to repeat his delivery more consistently" I get nervous.

Gotcha. Yeah I'm not high on Alvarez at all. Can't stand guys who lack command or have wacky mechanics

Just now, backwardsk said:

I am likewise skeptical of Alvarez. He's got an amazingly high ceiling, but he's still very raw and the O's haven't shown much aptitude in polishing raw talents. Buehler seems more or less ready to go.

If LA won't come off of Buehler, I think you center the package around Verdugo.

4 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

O'Day had a great run but is having durability issues and is becoming pretty pedestrian, with 2/18 left on his contract after this year.  I doubt we get more than a George Sherrill-type return and maybe that's optimistic.

Probably about right.   The Sherrill and Uehara trades were similar at the time, but one paid off better than the other.    That's the nature of trading for young players.   

Archived