Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Of course he's better than Wilson.  I've never argued otherwise.  You say "when Britton is on...", but he hasn't been on this year.  You can't pretend that doesn't matter.  Teams have been concerned about his injury and poor performance.  He's looked better of late, maybe that will sway a team to give up a Chapman/Miller haul, but I'm not counting on it.

The question for me is whether or not Duquette and his staff can *recognize* a Chapman/Miller-level haul. Whatever is deeply wrong with our evaluation (and cultivation) of starting pitching talent is likely to lead us to the wrong prospects--and failure to develop the right  ones).

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Set OH servers to SUSTAIN.

There is a article on the Dodger Blue site that said Britton is now their main focus. But the site is infected with that your computer is infected popup. I'm on my iPad and it's bogus but I couldn't read the whole article.

if we really do have a bidding war It's an awesome position for the Os

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

The question for me is whether or not Duquette and his staff can *recognize* a Chapman/Miller-level haul. Whatever is deeply wrong with our evaluation (and cultivation) of starting pitching talent is likely to lead us to the wrong prospects--and failure to develop the right  ones).

You never know until you try. Most pitchers fail everywhere. 

4 hours ago, LA2 said:

Most of us seem focused on selling Britton for SP, but what made the Chapman/Miller hauls what they were was a consensus A+ hitting prospect.

Buehler, Yadier Alvarez and Whitley for me aren't close to Torres or Frazier.

I don't think Luhnow's letting Tucker go, so with HOU Fisher and Yordan Alvarez are the B+/A- types, and if we do a Dodgers deal, I'll feel better if it's a Verdugo centerpiece, and hope for Calhoun as a second piece.

The O's aren't getting close to a Chapman/Miller return.  The Cubs hadn't won a World Series in 108 years. The O's might get close to that return if Britton was healthy all year, but he hasn't been.  I would be happy w/ a return headed by Whitley from the Astros.  He would be far away our best pitching prospect. 

12 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I don't think Luhnow's letting Tucker go, so with HOU Fisher and Yordan Alvarez are the B+/A- types, and if we do a Dodgers deal, I'll feel better if it's a Verdugo centerpiece, and hope for Calhoun as a second piece.

What is so appealing about Verdugo? He's a singles hitter with slightly above average speed. And Calhoun is basically and older version of Ryan Mouncastle without the upside.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:
My sources confirm the Astros are very close to trade for Zach Britton. #AstrosTwitter #Orioles

My sources are telling me that DD has been trying in vain to get a hold of Peter.  Reportedly, Peter was last seen walking around the inner harbor yesterday mumbling, "I was smarter than Davey Johnson and Pat Gillick and I'm smarter than DD" 

16 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

What is so appealing about Verdugo? He's a singles hitter with slightly above average speed. And Calhoun is basically and older version of Ryan Mouncastle without the upside.

There is some optimism that Calhoun can stay at 2B, but then you gotta move Schoop to SS.  

A future infield of Mountcastle-Schoop-Calhoun is a little scary (not in a good way). 

Archived