The Nick Markakis 2,000th hit countdown thread

Frobby

The 26th man next year is 30 more jobs, mostly for hitters if I understand the roster rules correctly.  That'll help in Year 2 of 4, and maybe in Year 3 of 4.  32-team expansion by Year 4 of 4 would be a godsend for the longshot, in addition to the NL DH Moose noted.

190 hits a year is also very aggressive, but a more likely 170/year would put him about 100 short for a Biggio-like limp to the finish in Year 5.  Good to enjoy now, because any 6-week injury sends it all crashing down....go NIck!

22 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

The 26th man next year is 30 more jobs, mostly for hitters if I understand the roster rules correctly.  That'll help in Year 2 of 4, and maybe in Year 3 of 4.  32-team expansion by Year 4 of 4 would be a godsend for the longshot, in addition to the NL DH Moose noted.

190 hits a year is also very aggressive, but a more likely 170/year would put him about 100 short for a Biggio-like limp to the finish in Year 5.  Good to enjoy now, because any 6-week injury sends it all crashing down....go NIck!

I think the chances are <5%, and that it would take 5 healthy years to do it.     The fact that Nick took so little money to stay in Atlanta tells me that he’s not going to become an itinerant ballplayer in search of ekeing out every last hit. My guess is he’ll play 2-3 years (including this one) and call it a career.     

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think the chances are <5%, and that it would take 5 healthy years to do it.     The fact that Nick took so little money to stay in Atlanta tells me that he’s not going to become an itinerant ballplayer in search of ekeing out every last hit. My guess is he’ll play 2-3 years (including this one) and call it a career.     

He may play as long as Atlanta wants him.  I don't see him going anywhere else either. At $4M per, that's something the Braves may be interested in.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick had his 2,256th hit last night, tying him with Jimmy Dykes and Patsy Donovan for 165th all time.   In his next 10 hits he’ll pass Bid McPhee and Tommy Corcoran, both of whom played in the 1800’s (Corcoran also played in the early 1900’s).

Out of curiosity I had to look up where getting to 2500 career hits exactly would put Nick, in my mind I thought that had to be close to the top 100 all-time.  Wouldn't you know, 2500 would put him 14 behind the current #100 in baseball history, Jimmy Ryan, who last played a game in 1903.  There's only one other active player aside from Nick within striking distance of reaching 2500, and that's Robinson Cano, who needs 16 hits to make break the threshold.  Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera have already well passed the mark.  Forget 3,000 hits, it's going to be a few years before we start talking about someone even getting to 2500 career hits.

1 hour ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Out of curiosity I had to look up where getting to 2500 career hits exactly would put Nick, in my mind I thought that had to be close to the top 100 all-time.  Wouldn't you know, 2500 would put him 14 behind the current #100 in baseball history, Jimmy Ryan, who last played a game in 1903.  There's only one other active player aside from Nick within striking distance of reaching 2500, and that's Robinson Cano, who needs 16 hits to make break the threshold.  Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera have already well passed the mark.  Forget 3,000 hits, it's going to be a few years before we start talking about someone even getting to 2500 career hits.

Yes, assuming Nick reaches 2500 (which wouldn’t be until 2020) I think it will take another 4 years after that for anyone to reach it.    

• 2 weeks later...

o

(MAY 2nd)

SAN DIEGO PADRES

Ian Kinsler - 2B

Franmil Reyes - RF

Manny Machado - SS

Eric Hosmer - 1B

Tyler France - 3B

William Myers - LF

Manuel Margot Gomez - CF

Austin Hedges - C

Matthew Scott Strahm - LHP )) (0-2, 3.04 ERA)

ATLANTA BRAVES

Ozhaino Jurdy Jiandro "Ozzie" Albies - 2B

James Dansby Swanson - SS

Freddie Freeman - 1B

Ronald Jose Acuna Blanco, Jr. - CF

Nick Markakis - RF

Johan Valentin Camargo Ramos - 3B

Cole Tyler Flowers - C

Charlie Culberson - LF

Michael Gary Foltynewicz - RHP )) (0-0, 6.00 ERA)

https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups

o

In conjunction with the overall hit watch, Nick is only 18 career doubles from reaching 500 for his career.  Reaching 500 would put him in a tie for 62nd all-time with Goose Goslin and John Olerud.  Barring injury or lack of playing time, it's a pretty fair assessment to say Nick should get there this season, given he's averaged 39 doubles a season for his career, and has averaged 40 a season since going to Atlanta.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

In conjunction with the overall hit watch, Nick is only 18 career doubles from reaching 500 for his career. Reaching 500 would put him in a tie for 62nd all-time with Goose Goslin and John Olerud. Barring injury or lack of playing time, it's a pretty fair assessment to say that Nick should get there this season, given the fact that he's averaged 39 doubles-per-season for his career, and has averaged 40-per-season since going to Atlanta.

o

Goslin was elected to the Hall-of-Fame in 1968 ........ and he had to leave because the hotel that he was staying at told him that his room was booked for an upcoming convention. They said that they had told him beforehand that he could only stay for one night. Plus, there were no hotel or motel vacancies within a 20-mile radius of Cooperstown. Soooooooo, he had to leave !!!

He was literally kicked out of Cooperstown on the same day that he was inducted into it. O.o

I read that in one of my brother's baseball magazines, in 1977.

o

• 2 weeks later...

Nick broke out of an 0 for 15 slump with a 2-hit day yesterday, bringing his career total to 2279, 161st on the all time list.  In his next 10 hits he’ll pass Gary Gaetti and then Hall of Famer Joe Cronin.   

In fact, Nick is at a place on the list populated by a lot of HoF players.  In his next 37 hits he will pass 12 players, 9 of whom are in the Hall — Cronin, Hugh Duffy, Kiki Cuyler, Dan Brouthers, Kirby Puckett, Bobby Wallace, Jim Bottomley, Jeff Bagwell and Eddie Mathews.  

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nick broke out of an 0 for 15 slump with a 2-hit day yesterday, bringing his career total to 2279, 161st on the all time list.  In his next 10 hits he’ll pass Gary Gaetti and then Hall of Famer Joe Cronin.   

In fact, Nick is at a place on the list populated by a lot of HoF players.  In his next 37 hits he will pass 12 players, 9 of whom are in the Hall — Cronin, Hugh Duffy, Kiki Cuyler, Dan Brouthers, Kirby Puckett, Bobby Wallace, Jim Bottomley, Jeff Bagwell and Eddie Mathews.  

Nick is currently at 33.4 rWAR.  Barring several monster seasons to close out his career there's no way he should seriously come close to being a HoFer.  The question for me is, does he get enough votes to make the second ballot?

10 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Nick is currently at 33.4 rWAR.  Barring several monster seasons to close out his career there's no way he should seriously come close to being a HoFer.  The question for me is, does he get enough votes to make the second ballot?

I think if he reaches 3,000 hits, he would survive the threshold to remain eligible for a number of years.    Short of that, I don’t think he will.    And I don’t expect him to reach 3,000.     He’s my favorite Oriole of the last 15 years, but he’s not a Hall of Famer, even though he will collect more hits than many HoFers (he’s already ahead of about 35 hitters who are in the Hall and I expect him to pass a few dozen more).