The Nick Markakis 2,000th hit countdown thread

Frobby

Nick Markakis had his 1,990th hit tonight, so I'm starting a countdown thread for him.    

Obviously, 2,000 hits isn't Hall of Fame material, but it's quite a big accomplishment.    Only 9 active players have done it (Adrian Gonzalez is at 1,996 and presumably will beat Nick to being the 10th).   All ten players ahead of Nick are older than he is, as are the next 7 players below him on the list.     Only 283 players in the history of baseball have done it (Nick is currently 291st on the all-time list).

3,000 hits is probably out of Nick's reach, but 2,500 is not out of the question.    Only 100 players in the history of baseball have done that.   The five active players who have done it are Ichiro, Beltre, Pujols, Beltran and Cabrera, and Cano (2,304) presumably  will get there long before Nick does.    The other active players ahead of Nick (Holliday, Reyes, V. Martinez and A. Gonzalez) probably won't make it to 2,500 before they retire.

Hopefully, this countdown will only take 9-10 days, but we'll see.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if it'll hurt or help this is in parallel with Adrian Beltre being the same ~10 away from 3000 hits this week.

It'll be interesting to see how far he can go.  Next year is the last year of his Atlanta contract, and super prospect Ronald Acuna should take either his or Matt Kemp's job sometime next year.  Kemp has 2/$43M left to Nick's 1/$11M going into next year.

Assuming he keeps a job and a .275 AVG, he could be sitting around 2200 hits entering FA for 2019.  If the 2019 Orioles are as Jones-less, Machado-less, Britton-less and hopeless as they might be, it isn't hard to imagine a reunion happening for mid-30's second division regular compiling if Mountcastle can stay on the infield and Mancini, Hays and Mullins don't nail down the OF jobs.

There's already some Orioles flavor on the non-HOF hits leaderboard.

3020 Palmeiro

2877 Vizquel

2866 Baines

Haha...I thought I would be the first to start this thread.  That was my intention in posting tonite for the first time in quite awhile. Should have know better!  I'd be surprised if Nick doesn't get to 2500.  I certainly hope he does.    

When you think of those numbers and the fact that only 283 players have accomplished that in MLB history - well that's quite an accomplishment.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I'm not sure if it'll hurt or help this is in parallel with Adrian Beltre being the same ~10 away from 3000 hits this week.

It'll be interesting to see how far he can go.  Next year is the last year of his Atlanta contract, and super prospect Ronald Acuna should take either his or Matt Kemp's job sometime next year.  Kemp has 2/$43M left to Nick's 1/$11M going into next year.

Assuming he keeps a job and a .275 AVG, he could be sitting around 2200 hits entering FA for 2019.  If the 2019 Orioles are as Jones-less, Machado-less, Britton-less and hopeless as they might be, it isn't hard to imagine a reunion happening for mid-30's second division regular compiling if Mountcastle can stay on the infield and Mancini, Hays and Mullins don't nail down the OF jobs.

There's already some Orioles flavor on the non-HOF hits leaderboard.

3020 Palmeiro

2877 Vizquel

2866 Baines

I wouldn't mind a reunion if Jones leaves and Trumbo leaves or is traded, giving Trey the DH spot. 

2,000 will be a great accomplishment for Nick.  I guess the question is - Will his lack of power prevent teams from being interested in signing him and using him as a starter.  I just don't see a team going with a RFer at his age with that little power and speed.  But Nick works hard on every at bat, and plays RF nearly flawlessly within his limitations.     

6 hours ago, Ruzious said:

2,000 will be a great accomplishment for Nick.  I guess the question is - Will his lack of power prevent teams from being interested in signing him and using him as a starter.  I just don't see a team going with a RFer at his age with that little power and speed.

I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding the obstacle to Nick reaching 2,500 hits.    I think teams will still want him when his Atlanta contract is up, but his days of playing 155+ games year in and year out are numbered.    

Nick trivia: since coming into the majors in 2006, he has had more plate appearances than any other player.   He is third in hits (behind Cano and Cabrera) over that time.  

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Certainly rooting for Nick to get to 2,000.  2,500 would be fantastic for him.

Still never understood where his power went.  I hope that doesn't hold him back.  I hope the fans in Atlanta love him as much as we do, too.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/nick-markakis-named-braves-2017-heart-and-hustle-award-winner/bVyQhcg6EKdbJvPIaX1z3J/

• Upvote 1

Nick got hit no. 1999 last night.    I'll be on high alert tonight!

By the way, I hadn't realized that Adrian Gonzalez is on the DL, stuck at 1,996 hits.   Nick has passed him, and therefore should become the 10th active player to reach 2,000 when he reaches that mark.  

• Upvote 1