Realistically, fix the SP so we can contend down the stretch

ScGO's

So we buy (or more realistically speaking, we go for it); how would you do it?  It feels like an impossible task with our lack of assets. Here is mine:

I stick with Bundy, Tilman, and Gausman for the time being. Jiminez and Miley are immediately released and we open up those spots to the AAA shuttle, first crack to Aquino and Ynoa with Asher on the roster as long man. Keep Wilson nearby too. The goal is that at least one will establish themselves into a 5+ innings pitcher that can keep us in games till the 6th when the BP can take over.

If we can't find a starter on the market, we could try the Tanner Scott strategy. If he gets us into the 4th each outing then one of our long men can get through the line up once, and we are in the the 6th or 7th handing it to the BP again. Maybe Akin is an option too.

In the mean time we need to find our 2017 version of 2012's Joe Saunders, maybe Miguel Gonzalez but open to hear suggestions that don't cost the farm.

If we can get something like the rotation below, we might have shot, especially if Tillman and Gausman can perform.

Tillman

Bundy

Gausman

Gonzales or affordable trade chip

Tanner Scott for 3+ and an Asher/Aquino/Verret type long man (or a Scott and Akin tandem?)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DJ Stewart for RA Dickey

Tillman, Bundy, Gausman, Dickey and Bleier in the rotation.

8 man pen - Britton, Brach, Givens, O'Day, Hart, Castro, Miley and Ubaldo.

Kim DFA'd to make room.  He is traded for a no body and salary relief.

11 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

So we buy (or more realistically speaking, we go for it); how would you do it?  It feels like an impossible task with our lack of assets. Here is mine:

I stick with Bundy, Tilman, and Gausman for the time being. Jiminez and Miley are immediately released and we open up those spots to the AAA shuttle, first crack to Aquino and Ynoa with Asher on the roster as long man. Keep Wilson nearby too. The goal is that at least one will establish themselves into a 5+ innings pitcher that can keep us in games till the 6th when the BP can take over.

If we can't find a starter on the market, we could try the Tanner Scott strategy. If he gets us into the 4th each outing then one of our long men can get through the line up once, and we are in the the 6th or 7th handing it to the BP again. Maybe Akin is an option too.

In the mean time we need to find our 2017 version of 2012's Joe Saunders, maybe Miguel Gonzalez but open to hear suggestions that don't cost the farm.

If we can get something like the rotation below, we might have shot, especially if Tillman and Gausman can perform.

Tillman

Bundy

Gausman

Gonzales or affordable trade chip

Tanner Scott for 3+ and an Asher/Aquino/Verret type long man (or a Scott and Akin tandem?)

Nice try, Dan ???

Are you forgetting that 'our best pitcher' Bundy just gave up 7 ER yesterday and hasn't looked that great lately? I would let Miley hang around a little longer but definitely DFA Ubaldo. I don't think our starters will get us to the promised land this season. Sell sell sell. At least Britton Brach Smith/Castillo. 

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

DJ Stewart for AJ Dickey

Tillman, Bundy, Gausman, Dickey and Bleier in the rotation.

8 man pen - Britton, Brach, Givens, O'Day, Hart, Castro, Miley and Ubaldo.

Kim DFA'd to make room.  He is traded for a no body and salary relief.

I like it but what do you see Miley and Ubaldo's role being?  If they don't offer any value do we give their spots to those that may? Or do you see potential value still?

18 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

well, what's your strategy in this scenario?

I realize this is a total cop-out of your question, but the only "strategy" that I can see is hope/pray/beg/sell your soul that Tillman, Gausman and Bundy all pitch as well as they did last year (or in Bundy's case, earlier this year). 

We can tinker with the #5 starter all we want, but any success we have this year will begin and end with those three's pitching. 

We're not going to be competing down the stretch, but one change I would make is to start Lucas Long and get Ubaldo off the roster.  Long's had a very fine season in AA and has gone 7 innings each of his last 2 starts.  

42 minutes ago, Kevinod00 said:

Are you forgetting that 'our best pitcher' Bundy just gave up 7 ER yesterday and hasn't looked that great lately? I would let Miley hang around a little longer but definitely DFA Ubaldo. I don't think our starters will get us to the promised land this season. Sell sell sell. At least Britton Brach Smith/Castillo. 

Bundy should have been pulled before the gave up the 4th run.    He had gone 5 1/3 and was laboring and  he had runners on first and 2nd.  The 4th through 7th runs are kind of on Buck for not pulling Bundy earlier in the inning.

Houston - Top of 6th SCORE
DYLAN BUNDY PITCHING FOR BALTIMORE HOU BAL
González singled to left. 3 6
McCann grounded out to first, González to second. 3 6
Bregman walked. 3 6
Aoki homered to right (356 feet), González and Bregman scored. 6 6
Marisnick walked. 6 6
Castro relieved Bundy. 6 6
Altuve singled to left, Marisnick to third. 6 6
Reddick hit sacrifice fly to center, Marisnick scored. 7 6
Gurriel grounded into fielder's choice to shortstop, Altuve out at second. 7 6

53 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I like it but what do you see Miley and Ubaldo's role being?  If they don't offer any value do we give their spots to those that may? Or do you see potential value still?

Miley can pitch in relief for 2 or 3 innings  in the 5th thought 7th.  Ubaldo is just there in case of injury like last year.   Both on really on the team because the O's don't want to eat their contracts.  But if we want to be realistic that is what we are dealing with.  This team does not eat large contracts.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

This is a terrible strategy and quite frankly won't work. The good teams will bear up on the Orioles...any trading any future resources to improve this team will be lunacy.

It is lunacy, but it might happen. Listen, if DD knows he won't be here beyond 2018 (and surely, he has to have some indication if that is the case) then his goal is going to be able to win as many games as possible even if you don't make the playoffs. Then he can say, "hey, look how many games we won under my tenure." And really, who can blame him? We are thinking like fans, he is thinking like a business man. After all, coming into this year how much did we hear about the fact that the Orioles won more games than anyone over the last five years? Never mind the fact that our farm system is barren. 

1 hour ago, pastorfan said:

It is lunacy, but it might happen. Listen, if DD knows he won't be here beyond 2018 (and surely, he has to have some indication if that is the case) then his goal is going to be able to win as many games as possible even if you don't make the playoffs. Then he can say, "hey, look how many games we won under my tenure." And really, who can blame him? We are thinking like fans, he is thinking like a business man. After all, coming into this year how much did we hear about the fact that the Orioles won more games than anyone over the last five years? Never mind the fact that our farm system is barren. 

If your GM is making bad decisions because he has a short time horizon, then it is the owner's job to veto those decisions and to find a different GM.  

Archived