Five Reasons The Orioles Could Trade Zach Britton

PressBoxOnline

Taking a contrarian point of view - Five Reasons the Orioles Won't Trade Zach Britton

1. Ownership has been fooled by our ability to beat bad teams (Texas and TB) and overlooks our inability to beat good teams (Chicago NL and Houston), so they will refuse to "quit" on the season.

Okay, I can only think of one reason.

Five good reasons.  We cannot assume Britton will ever duplicate his 2016 season.  He has been injured this year and currently sports a 1.765 WHIP.

This deadline could be the last chance the Orioles have of getting back a big haul before teams wise up.

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't think Britton is going anywhere.   We wouldn't get enough of a return for him.   The bigger question is...should we take a lesser package just to avoid paying his huge contract next season?

I eager to see how little they get for him next deadline.

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't think Britton is going anywhere.   We wouldn't get enough of a return for him.   The bigger question is...should we take a lesser package just to avoid paying his huge contract next season?

I guess it depends on how much lesser "lesser" is.

If the team wants to compete in 2018 they either need to increase payroll again, or shed some salary to get solvency to address the holes on the 25-man roster.  Hardy's option won't vest so there is some.  Declining Wade Miley's option will be some more.  Trading Britton for cost controlled talent would also help a good deal.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I guess it depends on how much lesser "lesser" is.

If the team wants to compete in 2018 they either need to increase payroll again, or shed some salary to get solvency to address the holes on the 25-man roster.  Hardy's option won't vest so there is some.  Declining Wade Miley's option will be some more.  Trading Britton for cost controlled talent would also help a good deal.

I'll be surprised if they move him during the offseason.  If he doesn't go now all the talk will be about reloading.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'll be surprised if they move him during the offseason.  If he doesn't go now all the talk will be about reloading.

Well, if he doesn't go now, and Brach and Castillo also stay...

The team currently has a $164 mil roster according to BB-Ref (though we know some of that money is deferred).  Next season, with Castillo's player option and without Hardy/Miley's options, the payroll projects to be $110.7 mil with two starting pitchers in the rotation.  Not bad, but a lot of holes to fill.

Archived