O's trade for Hellickson

OriolesMagic83

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

Basically, the Phillies bought Cleavinger and the slot money for 1.7 million.  That's the meat of the transaction.

And we got rid of Kim.  We've seen DD attach positive value to players we want to DFA before to get rid of their salary.  Hopefully Hellickson pitches well and we can flip him in August to a team like KC

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:
  1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I doubt that the Phillies sent cash that is equal to Hellickson salary.   Some portion of it but not all of it.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree.    We'll see if the details emerge.

I have not seen anything contradicting or confirming the amount of cash, but Breen's article (link is below) indicates that the Philly's are paying the full remaining salary.  

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/phillies-jeremy-hellickson-scratch-start-trade-deadline-20170728.html

3 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

I have not seen anything contradicting or confirming the amount of cash, but Breen's article (link is below) indicates that the Philly's are paying the full remaining salary.  

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/phillies-jeremy-hellickson-scratch-start-trade-deadline-20170728.html

It definitely says that.       That makes this a more tolerable deal.

I find it really interesting that MacPhail and Klentak have made getting international talent a priority, whereas with the O's in 2011, Klentak had said the O's had commissioned a study and concluded it was not worthwhile to increase their international investment.     That suggests to me that our decision not to invest in that market really is an ownership decision, not the GM's decision, as Duquette has indicated.

3 hours ago, kg orioles said:

Very well said ScGO's. Now that we know they are paying his salary it looks like a win. Anyone can clearly see we are in need of a few starters . The AAA guys are just as bad as the ones on roster now . Do you really want to watch Gnoa, wright, Wilson any more?

Why not? The team is not making the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why not? The team is not making the playoffs.

If we had milb guys who could go more than 4 innings without putting us in 5+ run deficits, I'd agree. Hellickson will give us 6 innings to go with the 5+ run deficits. The only guy I'd like to get an extended look at would be Aquin bc he's a lefty. Ynoa as struggled, we know what Wilson can do, and Wright needs to go to the BP.  Maybe Asher for another shot? 

We need innings eaters so games are manageable down the stretch. Hopefully in a week or two we are going with Bundy, Gausman, Hellickson, Tillman, and Aquino. It would be great if Tillman and Hellickson could be flipped in August. Pray for quality starts.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It definitely says that.       That makes this a more tolerable deal.

I find it really interesting that MacPhail and Klentak have made getting international talent a priority, whereas with the O's in 2011, Klentak had said the O's had commissioned a study and concluded it was not worthwhile to increase their international investment.     That suggests to me that our decision not to invest in that market really is an ownership decision, not the GM's decision, as Duquette has indicated.

Yep except Matt was covering the owner and DD is not.

3 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

That was my understanding. But heck, I could have misread. 

3 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

It's a poor rewrite. I am uncertain..

They still owe Hellickson roughly $7 million, which they will pay in order to sweeten the return.

2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

So the Orioles don't have to pay Hellickson anything?

Wonder if they want to flip him before Monday. The fact that the acquiring team would have to pay him nothing might be worth something.

Couldn't another team have matched or gone above the Orioles offer if they really wanted Hellickson? Maybe instead of an international slot money the other team would have paid his  salary. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Couldn't another team have matched or gone above the Orioles offer if they really wanted Hellickson? Maybe instead of an international slot money the other team would have paid his  salary. 

I think it unlikely that he other suitors to choose from.

Archived