O's trade for Hellickson

OriolesMagic83

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Cot's:

acquired by Baltimore in trade from Philadelphia 7/28/17 (Phillies pay Orioles $4,617,486, covering difference in remaining salaries for Hellickson ($6,109,289) and Hyun-soo Kim ($1,491,803) )

We're paying him what we were paying Kim. Dirt cheap.

Just now, scOtt said:

From Cot's:

acquired by Baltimore in trade from Philadelphia 7/28/17 (Phillies pay Orioles $4,617,486, covering difference in remaining salaries for Hellickson ($6,109,289) and Hyun-soo Kim ($1,491,803) )

Gross, so we got nothing (Hellickson) for something (inter. slot and Cleavinger).

8 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'm usually on the same page as Shepard, but I'm not as accepting this as an ok nothing trade.  I agree that we didn't give up much of value, but we did give up value and IMHO Hellickson is a subtraction by addition.

Gross, so we got nothing (Hellickson) for something (inter. slot and Cleavinger).

Like you said, in your humble opinion.

Just now, scOtt said:

Like you said, in your humble opinion.

Yes, the opinion is mine alone, but I think there is solid evidence to support this particular opinion and I'm generally an optimist when it comes to these things.

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

Yes, the opinion is mine alone, but I think there is solid evidence to support this particular opinion and I'm generally an optimist when it comes to these things.

I just don't think it's the doom and gloom you make it sound like. This won't hurt us, and could help a little bit. If even only to eat innings

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

I just don't think it's the doom and gloom you make it sound like. This won't hurt us, and could help a little bit. If even only to eat innings

The real question is, does it matter?    Even if Hellickson makes 12 starts and throws to a 4.00 ERA, will we have a realistic shot at the playoffs this year?    If not, then why trade possible long term assets?

To answer my own question: (1) it perhaps marginally improves our remote playoff chances, (2) it signals to the other players that Duquette isn't giving up on them, which perhaps boosts long term morale, (3) Hellickson may take some of the innings Bundy would've pitched, sparing the young pitcher's arm from too much overuse.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The real question is, does it matter?    Even if Hellickson makes 12 starts and throws to a 4.00 ERA, will we have a realistic shot at the playoffs this year?    If not, then why trade possible long term assets?

To answer my own question: (1) it perhaps marginally improves our remote playoff chances, (2) it signals to the other players that Duquette isn't giving up on them, which perhaps boosts long term morale, (3) Hellickson may take some of the innings Bundy would've pitched, sparing the young pitcher's arm from too much overuse.

That's the only part I'm concerned about.

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

These long threads make it hard to take things in context, but, no I'm not thinking this is a crippling move.  It's mostly a meh move, what we gave up was of little value. It's just a disappointing move because even if Hellickson shakes off being worse than Miley (which I can make a very good case that he has been worse than Miley) and pitches like an ace for the rest of the season, what does that do for the team? Nothing, maybe gives us a lower draft slot next year.

20 minutes ago, scOtt said:

From Cot's:

Yes I guess so. 

Here is my opinion on why I don't like it:

The biggest "plus" I have read and heard about getting Hellickson is that he "eats innings." Wow, good, awesome, ok. And? DD spent the winter, spring training, and the last few months coughing up International slots for pitchers who could do the same thing.

Hellickson is a very pro "fly ball" guy who doesn't get a lot of strike outs and who already gives up a lot of home runs. From the outside looking in, his stuff screams "batting practice at Camden." 

Was Kim being used? No. Buck hated him and probably took some extra alone time after Mancini and Smith supplanted Kim from the platoon.

They are 7.5 back and need to decide a direction. A "playoff push" means nothing as this team doesn't have the pitching to get past a 5 game series, let alone 7.

Kim and International money (which is ironic) might have gotten you a minor league pitcher or two that you felt good about being an inning eater and a ground ball thrower. Not someone that has fans on the flag court ducking every inning.

Just now, Frobby said:

I'm the biggest rah rah homer on this board and even I'm giving up on the season. We need about 45 wins with 60 to play. But like someone said, we have two months of games to play. We need to put a ML team on the field. Our rotation is in tatters and we had to get help from somewhere.

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Here is my opinion on why I don't like it:

The biggest "plus" I have read and heard about getting Hellickson is that he "eats innings." Wow, good, awesome, ok. And? DD spent the winter, spring training, and the last few months coughing up International slots for pitchers who could do the same thing.

Hellickson is a very pro "fly ball" guy who doesn't get a lot of strike outs and who already gives up a lot of home runs. From the outside looking in, his stuff screams "batting practice at Camden." 

Was Kim being used? No. Buck hated him and probably took some extra alone time after Mancini and Smith supplanted Kim from the platoon.

They are 7.5 back and need to decide a direction. A "playoff push" means nothing as this team doesn't have the pitching to get past a 5 game series, let alone 7.

Kim and International money (which is ironic) might have gotten you a minor league pitcher or two that you felt good about being an inning eater and a ground ball thrower. Not someone that has fans on the flag court ducking every inning.

If they are at an O's game they should be keeping their head on a swivel no matter who is pitching.

Archived