It's a disgrace....

ChuckS

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sorry, I meant recently.

When talking about the Yankees being a well run organization I just mean the last few years.

I should have been more clear.

I ageee. I would also say that it didn't happen until Hal Steinbrenner agreed to go younger. That of course along with their spending here and abroad. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, the Orioles are not in either buy or sell mode. I think they are in a holding pattern. Dan thinks that the pieces that will help this team win next year are already here, and can be supplanted in free agency with a run next year. He knows as well as you and I the Orioles don't have the pieces to go all in now, nor does he want a total rebuild for the last two years of his contract. A rebuild now is automatically an admittance of failure, where "wait and see" gives him another year to get the current crop of guys to the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure it is.

But it doesn't compare to what the O's have been doing with O'Day, Hardy, Trumbo and Davis.

This is all in the context of getting younger.  I will bet you that the Orioles average age for position players is younger than the Yankees on Opening Day 2018. 

Let me edit that.  In May.  They should play the control game with Hays, Sisco, Mullins, and Mountcastle.

14 minutes ago, weams said:

That's exactly what I was expecting to hear. I'm not sure there was any real interest at all on our end to trade guys away because I had a feeling the FO had the mentality we could still contend this year. 

“And now we have Zach Britton pitching like Zach Britton can pitch. We think if we can solidify the starting rotation, we can make a run at it.” Once again though he did nothing to really upgrade the team, especially the starting pitching. We ended up with Hellickson and another guy he got for an international bonus slot. Where is the help that solidifies the rotation, I surely don't see it.

7 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

This is all in the context of getting younger.  I will bet you that the Orioles average age for position players is younger than the Yankees on Opening Day 2018. 

Let me edit that.  In May.  They should play the control game with Hays, Sisco, Mullins, and Mountcastle.

Sure, please remind me when I win or lose.

6 minutes ago, billw76 said:

We ended up with Hellickson and another guy he got for an international bonus slot. Where is the help that solidifies the rotation, I surely don't see it.

I don't think they're suddenly going to contend but Hellickson helps. Gausman appears to have sorted himself out as well.

If Gausman, Tillman, Manny, Davis, and Trumbo hadn't all been so bad to start and Britton had been healthy we'd probably be 2 back. Hell, probably with just better pitching.

You can see how the Os can tell themselves that story.

1 minute ago, pdiddy said:

I don't think they're suddenly going to contend but Hellickson helps. Gausman appears to have sorted himself out as well.

If Gausman, Tillman, Manny, Davis, and Trumbo hadn't all been so bad to start and Britton had been healthy we'd probably be 2 back. Hell, probably with just better pitching.

Yes, if those six things had happened they might be close.

Just let that sink in a second.

2 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

They can tell themselves that but I'm not buying it. 

Even if Gausman has figured it out and Hellickson helps, we still have Ubaldo, Miley and now Bundy is struggling. Either way it's too much to hope for all of a sudden clicking and going on a roll.

32 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Mountcastle should not see Baltimore in 2018.  Mullins hasn't even had 200 at bats in Double A. 

I could see Hays and Sisco getting early call-ups next year and perhaps even be considered for the opening day roster. 

Archived