POLL: Yay or nay on Beckham trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?

• Yes. Beckham is under control through 2020 and could be the SS of the future.
    • No. We should be acquiring prospects, not trading them away.
    • Meh. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?  Right now we are looking at Jones and Mancini in the outfield.  You add Beckham to that and there isn't room for any of the three in a starting role.

What if you can't get dump the Trumbo contact?

Where are you going to find an infielder to replace Beckham?  (At third or second if you move Schoop).

I thought you had all three on the team. My  next question was,"Are you trading Jones."

So, let's say Beckham plays LF.  Hays can't work into a starting role? He's awful young to be thrown into a full time role. Jones is likely gone the following year and he probably is ready for a full time role then. 

This isn't to say what I think will happen. I don't think any of this happens, but yes it should be considered.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I don't think he needed to hurry the throw on that play though. He needs confidence, to learn to live within himself, get a better feel for the game, yadda yadda yadda.

One of the things you hear Palmer talk about with JJ, or even Machado and Schoop less frequently is the internal clock. That might come with experience. Lord knows JJ and Cal didn't have much range, but they both excelled at knowing hitters and positioning. Can he do that? Maybe.

11 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I want him to make a few more routine plays a bit more consistently.  That throwing error against Didi today is an example.  I think he can do it.  Just a few seemingly doable improvements and he could be really good.

That wasn't a routine play.  That's a ball many shortstops don't get to, and if they do, they have to retreat into the hole to do it.  I'd have liked to see him make that play too, but that's not a play Hardy would make and if that ball got to the outfield, Judge would have scored.  So even with that error, he saved a run on that play. (I know the run eventually scored anyways)

5 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

That wasn't a routine play.  That's a ball many shortstops don't get to, and if they do, they have to retreat into the hole to do it.  I'd have liked to see him make that play too, but that's not a play Hardy would make and if that ball got to the outfield, Judge would have scored.  So even with that error, he saved a run on that play. (I know the run eventually scored anyways)

Simmons, Lindor, Gregorius, Iglesias from the AL and Seager, Russell and Trea Turner in the NL all make that play.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Simmons, Lindor, Gregorius, Iglesias from the AL and Seager, Russell and Trea Turner in the NL all make that play.

I agree, that's 7 out of 30 MLB starting shortstops.  Throw in a few more and Beckham still sits solidly in the average, middle of the pack range defensively.  

6 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I agree, that's 7 out of 30 MLB starting shortstops.  Throw in a few more and Beckham still sits solidly in the average, middle of the pack range defensively.  

You were talking about the play on which he made the error today. "Not many guys  make that play." Seven is more than a few. I'll tell you who else makes that play. Machado.

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I want the best team within reason. Janish is good defensively (he used to be great) but he's an automatic out. I like Beckham's bat, but your solution is to say just live with his below average defense when there is clearly a better solution.

3.3 rWAR, 3.3 fWAR.     That solution works pretty well for me.   He's 27, in his first year playing every day in the majors, so it's reasonable to think he could get better from here.    Under control for three more years.    That sounds like a pretty good solution to me.

Sure I think Manny could probably be better at SS than Beckham.    But he's only under control for a year, and then what?    And in the meanwhile you've got to find a 3B who's a smaller defensive step down from Manny at 3B than Beckham is at SS.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

3.3 rWAR, 3.3 fWAR.     That solution works pretty well for me.   He's 27, in his first year playing every day in the majors, so it's reasonable to think he could get better from here.    Under control for three more years.    That sounds like a pretty good solution to me.

Sure I think Manny could probably be better at SS than Beckham.    But he's only under control for a year, and then what?    And in the meanwhile you've got to find a 3B who's a smaller defensive step down from Manny at 3B than Beckham is at SS.

Oh sure, I'm not arguing about his production. I'm just hesitant to say he can improve on defense except marginally. I'd like nothing better than for him to make strides under the tutelage of Dickerson. I certainly like the idea of him being under control if for no other reason than his bat.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Oh sure, I'm not arguing about his production. I'm just hesitant to say he can improve on defense except marginally. I'd like nothing better than for him to make strides under the tutelage of Dickerson. I certainly like the idea of him being under control if for no other reason than his bat.

I don't know how much his defense will improve, either.    I have hopes that it will, but not expectations.    

My take on him is that his defense is as advertised -- he'll make some spectacular plays, but also mess up some routine ones.    I often wonder, would you rather have a SS who makes every routine play but no extraordinary ones, or a SS who makes ten extraordinary plays but muffs 10 routine ones.    My sense is that most managers/teammates/fans prefer the steadier player -- it's somehow easier on the psyche.     But really, it should be a neutral choice.   

I am reading people say that Mullins is not ready for MLB pitching. Lets put some things in perspective. Mullins skipped a level and jumped on AA pitching with a bomb his first AB. He did not stop in High A to help with the adjustments to better pitching.  The only thing that slowed Mullins down was an injury. And I would say he probably was concerned about the hammy afterwards which may have affected his aggressiveness in the game. The guy hit 14 Hr's in 79 games. And lets not forget this.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/03/for-his-latest-trick-cedric-mullins-homered-off-craig-kimbrel.html

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly  a ringing endorse,ment. Not to mention that he is eighth  in K's in the AL and fourteenth in the majors.

As the offseason moves along, they will decide whether Beckham is their regular shortstop in 2018, a utility candidate or a trade chip.

Beckham arrived in a trade with the Rays at the non-waiver deadline and batted .394/.417/.646 in August, with 10 doubles, two triples, six home runs and 19 RBIs over 29 games.

The 50 hits were the second most by an Oriole in a calendar month. He was the second player in the modern era - since 1900 - to collect at least 40 hits in his first 22 games with a new team.

Maintaining that pace really would have been historic, and unrealistic, but Beckham has cooled off considerably with 16 hits in 85 at-bats this month.

The bigger issue is defense. Beckham’s committed nine errors with the Orioles - matching his shortstop total with the Rays - and has been saved a handful of times by Chris Davis’ scoops at first base. Manager Buck Showalter preaches the importance of “trustworthy” players and Beckham remains outside the circle.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/09/thoughts-and-notes-on-beckham-tillman-rotation-and-sisco.html

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Not exactly  a ringing endorse,ment. Not to mention that he is eighth  in K's in the AL and fourteenth in the majors.

As the offseason moves along, they will decide whether Beckham is their regular shortstop in 2018, a utility candidate or a trade chip.

Beckham arrived in a trade with the Rays at the non-waiver deadline and batted .394/.417/.646 in August, with 10 doubles, two triples, six home runs and 19 RBIs over 29 games.

The 50 hits were the second most by an Oriole in a calendar month. He was the second player in the modern era - since 1900 - to collect at least 40 hits in his first 22 games with a new team.

Maintaining that pace really would have been historic, and unrealistic, but Beckham has cooled off considerably with 16 hits in 85 at-bats this month.

The bigger issue is defense. Beckham’s committed nine errors with the Orioles - matching his shortstop total with the Rays - and has been saved a handful of times by Chris Davis’ scoops at first base. Manager Buck Showalter preaches the importance of “trustworthy” players and Beckham remains outside the circle.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/09/thoughts-and-notes-on-beckham-tillman-rotation-and-sisco.html

o

Already posted.

o

23 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Thoughts and Notes on Beckham, Tillman, the Rotation, and Sisco

(By Roch Kubatko)

o

Archived