POLL: Yay or nay on Beckham trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?

• Yes. Beckham is under control through 2020 and could be the SS of the future.
    • No. We should be acquiring prospects, not trading them away.
    • Meh. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Do you also want to watch Tejada play SS?  

No matter how bad the folks who don't like the trade... don't like it, ya gotta understand that the O's dramatically improved at shortstop with Beckham.  He's a superstar compared to both Beckham and this year's version of Hardy.    

Yes I posted that Gausman losing his CG SO was on Tejada, I wanted to suggest sitting him for his lazy effort but the night was too good for negativity. 

Dan signed Hardy & Tejada. Too many DMV GMs deal prospects/picks to get out of awful decisions. It only speaks more to Dans incompetence. Why do you think TB gave him to a division rival, while ahead of us, for Myers? That's not a rhetorical question, you're far too knowledgeable to patronize, I wonder why TB made this move. I like Tobias & I voted in favor of the deal, I hate the idea of paying a lot for a guy like Cozart but I don't trust that we'd get the better of TB. We need pitching badly. We just gave two talented arms for an Edwin downgrade & Tejada upgrade. I'd think Mercer would have cost much less.

I do think guys can get better after 27, I don't write guys off too quickly, and we were desperate for a SS, so I'm ok with it. We had to make our 2nd greatest weakness a bit weaker to address our most significant weakness. Tobias is pretty nasty though. 

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Meh. He's not a particulary good SS. I see him more as a cheap replacemant for Flash.

Yeah I am not aware of what he looks like defensively, I just assume he's gifted bc of his draft slot which is absurd but hard to dismiss.

2 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Yeah I am not aware of what he looks like defensively, I just assume he's gifted bc of his draft slot which is absurd but hard to dismiss.

Part of the reason the Rays took him 1/1 is that they didn't want to pay Posey, who they actually had first on their board.

MLB midseason ranking did not even have Myers listed as a top 30 prospect.  He has some upside but I think people are vastly over rating him.  He is young that is what gives him advantage as he started in organization at 17.

13 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Yeah that's true. But prior to today there were only 11 posts in that entire thread. 

Prior to this season he had thrown 7 innings for us.

Post count does not equal knowledge/awareness of a prospect. Today we discussed him, that completely refutes the argument that no one knows who he was.

He hasn't been in the system for 6 years. He's thrown all of 37 innings as an oriole, his OHpost/IP ratio, in that one thread, is pretty high. ?

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

MLB midseason ranking did not even have Myers listed as a top 30 prospect.  He has some upside but I think people are vastly over rating him.  He is young that is what gives him advantage as he started in organization at 17.

Fangraphs had Hays as a 2020 arrival.

http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/ranking-baltimore-orioles-top-40-prospects-right-now/

#11 prospect there.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Part of the reason the Rays took him 1/1 is that they didn't want to pay Posey, who they actually had first on their board.

Well I'm grateful to them for that. That's high quality information. TB with Posey would have been brutal, and what they'd have acquired when they dealt him would have been ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Well I'm grateful to them for that. That's high quality information. TB with Posey would have been brutal, and what they'd have acquired when they dealt him would have been ridiculous. 

Pretty decent chance they would have a ring or two.

43 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Prior to this season he had thrown 7 innings for us.

Post count does not equal knowledge/awareness of a prospect. Today we discussed him, that completely refutes the argument that no one knows who he was.

He hasn't been in the system for 6 years. He's thrown all of 37 innings as an oriole, his OHpost/IP ratio, in that one thread, is pretty high. ?

If somebody was regarded as a fast riser, jumping from outside of the top thirty to within the top ten, I would think there would be more than 11 posts about him. 

*and I never said no one knows who he is. 

I don't mind this if we sold Britton/Brach etc. You know, buy and sell.  If they can flip Britton/Brach/ O'Day (if he starts pitching like his former self... K rate is still very good) and Manny if they can't extend him in the off season that'd be great. Beckham can be our SS of the future for years to come and meanwhile we'll have restocked the farm system.  

Now will they do that, no I doubt it.  I don't have much faith in the Orioles doing the right thing.  But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

1 hour ago, carolinaoriole said:

I think it is a good trade. We needed a shortstop to replace Hardy. But this deal should have been part of a larger plan.

That's the way I would put it too.

The trade, I like very much.

The overall deadline, do not like.

Archived