POLL: Yay or nay on Beckham trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?

• Yes. Beckham is under control through 2020 and could be the SS of the future.
    • No. We should be acquiring prospects, not trading them away.
    • Meh. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

If I had my druthers I'd move Beckham to the OF and Manny to SS. Mountcastle to 3B or a stopgap until they figure out if he's ready, maybe Nunez?

If Beckham is in the outfield what do you do with Mancini, Hays, Mullins and Stewart?  Only one of them can be in left field.

29 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yup.  Move Mancini to DH and trade Trumbo.  I'm not sure Mullins is ready for the promotion yet based. 

Mullins is not ready offensively, but he has made adjustments quickly in the past.  I will say, he's in all likelyhood better defensively in CF right now than Hays, Jones, or Rickard.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

If I had my druthers I'd move Beckham to the OF and Manny to SS. Mountcastle to 3B or a stopgap until they figure out if he's ready, maybe Nunez?

If you don't like Beckham at SS, you'll absolutely HATE Mountcastle at 3B.  Beckham has near elite range at SS and makes enough poor plays to bring him down to average there.  Mountcastle, if everything goes right will be below average at 3B.

10 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Mullins is not ready offensively, but he has made adjustments quickly in the past.  I will say, he's in all likelyhood better defensively in CF right now than Hays, Jones, or Rickard.

If you don't like Beckham at SS, you'll absolutely HATE Mountcastle at 3B.  Beckham has near elite range at SS and makes enough poor plays to bring him down to average there.  Mountcastle, if everything goes right will be below average at 3B.

This. 

If you're moving someone to the outfield, it's Mountcastle and hoping he can figure out LF with Mancini transitioning to a 1B/DH split with Crush. That said, Mountcastle needs to be shifted to LF in Bowie or Norfolk and not try to learn the position in the bigs. We got lucky that Mancini picked it up quick. That shouldn't be assumed. 

15 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Going from Manny to Mountcastle at 3B is going to be very hard for fsns to take, if it occurs.    We are very spoiled now.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Going from Manny to Mountcastle at 3B is going to be very hard for fsns to take, if it occurs.    We are very spoiled now.

I have been going through Manny cycles.  Sometimes I am convinced we sign him, leads us to glory,  and years from now we are having discussions about  moving him to first.  Then at other times I am convinced we won't sign him, we get a mediocre return, and he wins a ring with the Yankees.

But more on topic.  I think Beckham finds a guru and is solid defensively next year.

30 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I might, but I KNOW I don't like Beckham at SS. He's been a ML player for some time now. And while I agree about his range his arm is below average as well as his glove work and footwork. 

1 minute ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I have been going through Manny cycles.  Sometimes I am convinced we sign him, leads us to glory,  and years from now we are having discussions about  moving him to first.  Then at other times I am convinced we won't sign him, we get a mediocre return, and he wins a ring with the Yankees.

But more on topic.  I think Beckham finds a guru and is solid defensively next year.

He is solid defensively this year, most of the bad throws are on balls Hardy wouldn't even get to.  He grades out as about average on all the defensive metrics, slightly above average UVR, average DRS, slightly below average BIS DRS, slightly above average Total Zone.

Archived