Does anyone have a better replacement for Hardy next year than Beckham?

interloper

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How so?

Looks like he has the same WAR as last year to date, but I think the fact that he's gotten 300+ ABs this year speaks to some level of competency. 12 homers in 317 AB is unquestionably Good For An Infielder, and he's walked 10 more times in less than double the ABs, which is something if not much. 

We haven't been exposed to watching him everyday so it's hard to say much eye-test wise. But I think there are some signs he could make improvements. 

I wonder if the Orioles tried to get the Rangers to bite on a deal for Profar.  He has wanted out of Texas and was a top prospect.  He apparently was not happy they did not trade him and never showed up at this AAA game last night.   I would think they would have traded him and I wonder if the same deal for Beckam was sent to the Rangers and Profar.

I'm not saying the guy is any good, really, I'm just saying our options are:

1) Beckham

2) The Reanimated $14 million corpse of JJ Hardy

3) An old guy free agent

4) Some other trade no one has bothered to mention

5) The dregs of our farm system

Just now, bpilktree said:

I wonder if the Orioles tried to get the Rangers to bite on a deal for Profar.  He has wanted out of Texas and was a top prospect.  He apparently was not happy they did not trade him and never showed up at this AAA game last night.   I would think they would have traded him and I wonder if the same deal for Beckam was sent to the Rangers and Profar.

An actual suggestion! Solid AAA numbers for him, 24 years old, hasn't been able to hack it so far in the bigs. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Looks like he has the same WAR as last year to date, but I think the fact that he's gotten 300+ ABs this year speaks to some level of competency. 12 homers in 317 AB is unquestionably Good For An Infielder, and he's walked 10 more times in less than double the ABs, which is something if not much. 

We haven't been exposed to watching him everyday so it's hard to say much eye-test wise. But I think there are some signs he could make improvements. 

So he has the same WAR as last year in more playing time?

That isn't an improvement.

That means that on an at bat level he's doing less well this year.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When Hardy is healthy I expect he will be the starting SS unless Beckham changes his ways quickly.

I can see Hardy coming back next year as a utility infielder and mentor to Beckham at a cheap contract if he wants that job.

Beckham is about to undergo a learning process.    Bobby Dickerson is about to show him how to be a better SS.  Manny, Jonathan and Hardy are all going to tell him to listen to Bobby.     Coolbaugh is going to show him how to shorten his swing and be more selective at the plate.    Jonathan has just taped an interview with Coolbaugh where he gives credit to Cooly for his progress with the bat.    I don't expect these changes will happen overnight but they may be effective with Beckham in the long term.

I can't imagine why you believe that Orioles coaches are superior to Rays coaches at changing player behavior.  

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not saying the guy is any good, really, I'm just saying our options are:

1) Beckham

2) The Reanimated $14 million corpse of JJ Hardy

3) An old guy free agent

4) Some other trade no one has bothered to mention

5) The dregs of our farm system

I'm not saying any of this is wrong (except that Hardy wouldn't cost nearly 14M).

I'm just saying I wouldn't bank on Beckham being more than he has already shown.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So he has the same WAR as last year in more playing time?

That isn't an improvement.

That means that on an at bat level he's doing less well this year.

Fair I guess, but I don't think that automatically disqualifies my other points in thinking that he has made some improvements. WAR is not the be-all, end-all. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying any of this is wrong (except that Hardy wouldn't cost nearly 14M).

I'm just saying I wouldn't bank on Beckham being more than he has already shown.

Isn't that his option? Or are you saying decline the option and resign him. 

Duquette had an open position for 2018. A chance to add some balance to this offense and he failed again. Beckham is ANOTHER swing 'n miss guy who won't take a walk. The lack of foresight with him is mind boggling. So tired of the "1st round" thought behind acquisitions of guys who are busts. 

Just now, twinedenter said:

Duquette had an open position for 2018. A chance to add some balance to this offense and he failed again. Beckham is ANOTHER swing 'n miss guy who won't take a walk. The lack of foresight with him is mind boggling. So tired of the "1st round" thought behind acquisitions of guys who are busts. 

My point is that I don't know what the other options are. Do you? 

Archived