Is the long term strategy to build around Schoop and Manny?

Lucky_13

With Duquette deciding to buy at the deadline yesterday, it got me thinking about what the long term plan is for the Orioles (if they even have one).  The Beckham trade looks to me like a cheap way to fill in for the hole at SS next season and beyond. The only guy who is under a long term contract after 2018 is Davis. Bundy and Gausman are cheap and under control until 2020.. They have three outfield prospects in Hays, Stewart, and Mullins that can fill the RF hole next year for cheap.  Joseph, Wynns, and Sisco can catch for cheap. 

They back up the brinks truck to Schoop and Manny. 

2019 team 

C: Joseph or Sisco 

1B: Davis 

2B: Schoop 

3B: Manny 

SS: Beckham 

LF: Mountcastle or Stewart 

CF: Hays 

RF: Mullins 

DH: Mancini 

Now pitching would still be a problem and Harvey, Akin, and Sedlock along with some other guys would have to pan out to join Bundy and Gausmen in the rotation. But based on Duquette's moves this is the only plan I can think of that makes sense. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

I for one have said similar things.  If our $$ are locked up in Manny, Schoop and Davis... I think we have the pieces to put a contender around them with Sisco, Hays, Mullins, Mancini, etc. 

Yeah everyone's saying that the future is so bleak. Olney and Law were saying that the organization was going to collapse if they didn't sell. But I think if we sign Manny and Schoop (big if) then they have enough cheap prospects to field a team. The best part is all these guys are playing at AA together. Kind of like how all the cubs prospects came up together

Just now, backwardsk said:

Trumbo and O'Day are here for 2019.

Forgot about O'day. I have a feeling Trumbo is dumped this off season in a trade. He is blocking Mancini who is a superior player and I think the organization knows this.

If we can lock up Manny and Schoop this offseason, I'd feel a bit better about the direction of this team.   I'd sign them both to 7 or 8 year deals with opt-outs after 5 years.   That would still give them the ability to try free agency again while they are still young.

Archived