Is the long term strategy to build around Schoop and Manny?

Lucky_13

This is how I see the priorities going into the offseason:

1)  Decide on the future of DD ... preferably either extend him or fire him, rather than go into next year as a lame duck.

2) Make every effort to extend Manny but if it is not going to happen, trade him for everything you can get to fill all the known holes we have as well as farm system depth.

3) Brach/Britton -- extend one, trade the other for whatever we can get

4) If Castillo exercises his player option, try to deal him.

4) Work on a  Schoop extension

5) Obviously you kick the tires on any type of deal for O'Day, Davis, or Trumbo, but it's unlikely you find any takers.

6) Then figure out how to fill the rotation spots behind Bundy and Gausman.   I want at least 5 viable candidates for those 3 spots.   Ideas:

a.  Guys you received from Manny and Brach/Britton deal

b.  Anyone currently at Norfolk ready to contend for a spot?   Sure doesn't look like it.   Maybe Aquino.

c.  If Tillman has a solid finish for the season but no one wants to give him the long term big money deal, perhaps he comes back on a one year make good

d.  Free agents:  no, we aren't going to go after Darvish, we'll be nibbling at the margins of the free agent market as always.   Would be nice to figure out who next year's Cashner is -- someone who isn't in big demand and will take a one year deal at reasonable cost and will turn out to be good.  

e.  Miscellaneous:   Anyone ready to make the jump from AA like Long or Scott?   Seems unlikely but necessity might make it happen.   Convert Bleier or Castro to a starter?   Rule 5?

7) If DD is still the GM I'm sure he'll bring in plenty of spare parts to fill bench spots and add depth, he's good at that.

Beyond trying to win, what do we want to see the rest of this season at the major league level?

-- is Tillman healthy enough to bring back on a one year make good deal?

-- is Santander a nugget?

-- do Bleier and Castro continue to be good out of the pen as the league sees them more?

-- can we get something in August deals for Smith/Castillo, or even unload them for next to nothing?

-- is Beckham an adequate SS for 2018/19/20?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

He signed, Roberts, Markakis, JJ Hardy (twice), Davis, and Trumbo

They signed Roberts, Markakis, JJ Hardy (twice), O'day, Davis, Trumbo. There is a precedent for Angelos shelling out money in extensions. Does it absolve Angelos of all his sins? Not at all and I didn't say that. 

Also I don't know why you brought up Duquette, I never said it was all his fault and I don't think it is. Personally, I think Duquette has done the best job possible while being forced to work under Angelos's absurd parameters. He's made bad moves but he's put a winner on the field. Something his holiness Andy Macphail couldn't do.

Roberts: Terrible Contract, Markakis: Good Contract, JJ Hardy: Good Contract, Horrible Contract, O'day: Horrible Contract, Davis: Worst Contract in O's history, Trumbo: Horrible Contract

So that's 2 for 7, but the 2 are not as good as Davis is bad all by himself.

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Roberts: Terrible Contract, Markakis: Good Contract, JJ Hardy: Good Contract, Horrible Contract, O'day: Horrible Contract, Davis: Worst Contract in O's history, Trumbo: Horrible Contract

Add Jones in.   3 for 8.

I wasn't talking about whether giving out the contract was a good or bad idea. I was just saying that Angelos has authorized contract extensions plenty of times

He signed O'Day twice.  First contract worked out great.

And you left off Jones which despite his decline has worked out fine.

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Hardy has put 1.6 WAR for $40MM.  I don't consider that a good contract.

Well if that is the plan, it would be nice to see them signed long term.  Building around 2 pieces you only control in the short term is not to bright given how difficult Manny will be to sign. 

Lets say you get Manny inked. I am having a real tough time seeing how you fill in a rotation behind Gausman and Bundy. 

If I were the Orioles I would take my best shot at Manny between now and the first week of the end of the season. If we are not even remotely close to getting something done then Manny HAS to be traded. To not do so is so far beyond stupid it's not even funny. 

If you get Manny inked then see what you can move to bring in some pitching help. 

If you don't then you get to work on Schoop right now before we end up in the same stupid situation with him as well. You then try to build around guys like him, KG, Bundy, Mancini and perhaps Cisco. 

The one thing you cannot do is ....not sign Manny to a deal and not trade him either. If that happens it might be among the dumbest moves in baseball history IMO. You can't let an asset of that value just walk and get nothing of value back. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

There is no plan past 2018. DD is paid through 2018 and that is what he is focused on. If he was focused beyond 2018, Manny would be on the Dodgers right now. 

Kind of funny.  All these rumors about Britton's trade being stopped by Peter.  Yet people think that Peter would approve a trade of Manny.   

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

This is how I see the priorities going into the offseason:

1)  Decide on the future of DD ... preferably either extend him or fire him, rather than go into next year as a lame duck.

2) Make every effort to extend Manny but if it is not going to happen, trade him for everything you can get to fill all the known holes we have as well as farm system depth.

3) Brach/Britton -- extend one, trade the other for whatever we can get

4) If Castillo exercises his player option, try to deal him.

4) Work on a  Schoop extension

5) Obviously you kick the tires on any type of deal for O'Day, Davis, or Trumbo, but it's unlikely you find any takers.

6) Then figure out how to fill the rotation spots behind Bundy and Gausman.   I want at least 5 viable candidates for those 3 spots.   Ideas:

a.  Guys you received from Manny and Brach/Britton deal

b.  Anyone currently at Norfolk ready to contend for a spot?   Sure doesn't look like it.   Maybe Aquino.

c.  If Tillman has a solid finish for the season but no one wants to give him the long term big money deal, perhaps he comes back on a one year make good

d.  Free agents:  no, we aren't going to go after Darvish, we'll be nibbling at the margins of the free agent market as always.   Would be nice to figure out who next year's Cashner is -- someone who isn't in big demand and will take a one year deal at reasonable cost and will turn out to be good.  

e.  Miscellaneous:   Anyone ready to make the jump from AA like Long or Scott?   Seems unlikely but necessity might make it happen.   Convert Bleier or Castro to a starter?   Rule 5?

7) If DD is still the GM I'm sure he'll bring in plenty of spare parts to fill bench spots and add depth, he's good at that.

Beyond trying to win, what do we want to see the rest of this season at the major league level?

-- is Tillman healthy enough to bring back on a one year make good deal?

-- is Santander a nugget?

-- do Bleier and Castro continue to be good out of the pen as the league sees them more?

-- can we get something in August deals for Smith/Castillo, or even unload them for next to nothing?

-- is Beckham an adequate SS for 2018/19/20?

Nice post.  I would add extend Buck.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

There is no plan past 2018. DD is paid through 2018 and that is what he is focused on. If he was focused beyond 2018, Manny would be on the Dodgers right now. 

You honestly think Peter would deal him?  You really believe that? 

Archived