Stan 'The Fan' Charles: Grading Dan Duquette's Body Of Work

PressBoxOnline

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

But at least address my last point.  Do you think he won't get an offer at least similar to the one he signed with the O's?  And if he does, wouldn't that clearly put him in a better position than opting in would?

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for him to opt out. Basically right now he splits time with Caleb. If he is looking for a bigger payday somewhere else may give him a chance to play more. 

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

He didn't do enough to improve the starting pitching - I like Hellickson more than most do, but he doesn't appear to be a long-term answer at this point.     

Just to this part of your point, I really think this is an incomplete that will bear fruit soon. Hellickson was a stop gap to be sure, and the Ubaldo signing was a head scratcher. Gallardo too, to an extent.

J. Aquino
A. Asher-PHI
S. Crichton
A. Faulkner-TEX
P. Fry-SEA
D. Hart
C. Lee
V. Nuno-LAD
Rich. Rodriguez
L. Verrett-NYM
J. Wheeler-LAD
T. Wilson
M. Wotherspoon-NYY
M. Wright
J. Yacabonis
G. Ynoa-NYM

The yellow pitchers are on the 40 man, the ones in purple were acquired since February from other teams.  It is my opinion that Duquette will reap a lot credit for building this collection of young controllable arms. We just aren't at the point where we can appreciate it, since as a whole, they've not done anything spectacular to this point. Again, this is just my opinion.

Its nearly impossible to have dealt away what Dan had and have added zero to the rotation. Pitching wins. He's given pitching away and the starters he's brought in look like guys the Yankees are paying to play for us. If Dan is working for NY he gets an A- 

12 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Just to this part of your point, I really think this is an incomplete that will bear fruit soon. Hellickson was a stop gap to be sure, and the Ubaldo signing was a head scratcher. Gallardo too, to an extent.

J. Aquino
A. Asher-PHI
S. Crichton
A. Faulkner-TEX
P. Fry-SEA
D. Hart
C. Lee
V. Nuno-LAD
Rich. Rodriguez
L. Verrett-NYM
J. Wheeler-LAD
T. Wilson
M. Wotherspoon-NYY
M. Wright
J. Yacabonis
G. Ynoa-NYM

The yellow pitchers are on the 40 man, the ones in purple were acquired since February from other teams.  It is my opinion that Duquette will reap a lot credit for building this collection of young controllable arms. We just aren't at the point where we can appreciate it, since as a whole, they've not done anything spectacular to this point. Again, this is just my opinion.

You couldn't get Hader or Ed Rod for all of those players. You couldn't get a Frobby autographed baseball for those guys.

It is November 2011 and the O's have just been rejected by two prominent GM candidates and a couple of others have said they wish to have their names withdrawn from consideration.    Faced with that situation, the O's turn to Dan Duquette, who has been out of baseball for ten years.

If you had told me then that the O's would go to the playoffs three times in five years, have no losing seasons, and win the most regular season games of any AL team in that time span, I would have been thrilled beyond belief.     I would have kissed Dan Duquette's feet.

In hindsight, maybe we can say Dan was in the right place at the right time, and benefited from long term moves made by his predecessors that were just starting to bear fruit.    Maybe we can say that in his passion to give his teams a shot at the playoffs, he made some deadline moves that cost the team valuable long term assets for, in many cases, little or no short term gain.     Maybe we can say that he signed several players to long term deals that didn't pan out, and were questionable when signed.    

All those things may be true, but I still look back on the last 5.75 years and say it's been a helluva ride.     

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

J. Aquino
A. Asher-PHI
S. Crichton
A. Faulkner-TEX
P. Fry-SEA
D. Hart
C. Lee
V. Nuno-LAD
Rich. Rodriguez
L. Verrett-NYM
J. Wheeler-LAD
T. Wilson
M. Wotherspoon-NYY
M. Wright
J. Yacabonis
G. Ynoa-NYM

I hope you're right, but that's a lot of long long-shots.  I do think Wright can be an asset if they'd finally put him in the bullpen.  

Archived