What's the most you'd offer any of Hardy, Jimenez, Miley, or Tillman to return?

FanSince88

How much will a free agent pitcher cost? Miley as bad as he has been is, Left handed, healthy,and took the ball every 5th day. His option is 12million and I can see the O's keeping him at that price. 

I don't see any bargain, buy low free agent pitching. More likely hurt pitchers looking for a team. Tillman, 1yr/8 with incentives, Miley's option is exercised. Jiminez , is done as an Oriole.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

The only one that I would want back is Tillman, and that is because he would come back on the (relative) cheap, he's still relatively young at 29, and because he has been very consistent from 2012 through 2016, save for the 2015 season ...... of which he was able to bounce back the very next season (2016.)

Jimenez is far too inconsistent overall, the Hardy Orioles ship (in my rat's ass of an opinion) has passed, and Miley (yet another struggling Orioles starting pitcher) has never put together a long-term streak like Tillman has (4 out of 5 very solid seasons from 2012 through 2016.)

o

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What kind of salary do you think an oft injured, 35 year old SS with a .566 OPS  get?   Would he get a starting job with another team?

I think it more about does he want to be a backup or does he want to quit.

Maybe, but why offer him anything to be a UTIF we have better cheaper options. BTW there are 9 teams with poorer defensive SS than Hardy is this year, one of them might sign him as a stop gap while a prospect developed. It's not out of he question.

19 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The only one that I would want back is Tillman, and that is because he would come back on the (relative) cheap, he's still relatively young at 29, and because he has been very consistent from 2012 through 2016, save for the 2015 season ...... of which he was able to bounce back the very next season (2016.)

o

While I also have some interest in resigning Tillman, there isn't really much of a comparison between 2015 (4.99 ERA) and 2017 (8.10).    2015 was just a pretty typical off year for a pitcher.    2017 has been an utter travesty.     

3 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

When you look back at the last four seasons, its pretty sad to realize how much better we could have done if Ubaldo had pitched to his contract... 

I mean, it could have changed everything.

Maybe. While he has certainly underperformed his contract, it's not that big from a FA pitching contract perspective. 

39 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

How much will a free agent pitcher cost? Miley as bad as he has been is, Left handed, healthy,and took the ball every 5th day. His option is 12million and I can see the O's keeping him at that price. 

I don't see any bargain, buy low free agent pitching. More likely hurt pitchers looking for a team. Tillman, 1yr/8 with incentives, Miley's option is exercised. Jiminez , is done as an Oriole.

I see quite a few I'd prefer over Miley:

Brett Anderson (30)
Jake Arrieta (32)
Clay Buchholz (33)
Madison Bumgarner (28) — $12MM club option with a $1.5M buyout
Trevor Cahill (30)
Matt Cain (33) — $21MM club option with a $7.5MM buyout
Andrew Cashner (31)
Jhoulys Chacin (30)
Tyler Chatwood (28)
Jesse Chavez (34)
Wei-Yin Chen (32) — Can opt out of the remaining three years, $52MM on his contract
Alex Cobb (30)
Bartolo Colon (45)
Johnny Cueto (32) — Can opt out of the remaining four years, $84MM on his contract
Yu Darvish (31)
John Danks (33)
Jorge De La Rosa (37)
R.A. Dickey (43) — $8MM club option with $500K buyout
Nathan Eovaldi (28) — $TBD club option
Marco Estrada (34)
Scott Feldman (35)
Doug Fister (34)
Yovani Gallardo (32) — $13MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Jaime Garcia (31)
Matt Garza (34) — $13MM vesting option/$5MM club option (can become $1MM club option based on DL time)
Gio Gonzalez (32) – $12MM club option, vests with 180 innings pitched in 2017
Miguel Gonzalez (34)
Jeremy Hellickson (31)
Derek Holland (31)
Ubaldo Jimenez (34)
Ian Kennedy (33) — Can opt out of the remaining three years, $43MM on his contract
John Lackey (39)
Francisco Liriano (34)
Jordan Lyles (27)
Lance Lynn (31)
Wade Miley (31) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout
Mike Minor (30) — $10MM mutual option with a $1.25MM buyout
Matt Moore (29) — $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Jon Niese (31)
Ricky Nolasco (35) — $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Martin Perez (27) — $6MM club option with a $2.45MM buyout
Michael Pineda (29)
Clayton Richard (34)
Tyson Ross (31)
CC Sabathia (37)
Anibal Sanchez (34) — $16MM club option with a $5MM buyout
Hector Santiago (30)
Chris Sale (29) — $12.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Masahiro Tanaka (29) — Can opt out of the remaining three years, $67MM on his contract
Chris Tillman (30)
Josh Tomlin (33) — $3MM club option with a $750K buyout
Jason Vargas (35)
Jered Weaver (35)
Chris Young (39) — $8MM mutual option with a $1.5MM buyout

I'd let them all walk. Tillman I'm sad to see go, he's done some good work here and he shouldn't be done yet. But he's in bad shape and isn't a sure thing to recover. I imagine he'll try to get a 1-year deal with an NL team that plays in a big park, try to rebuild his value.

57 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Jimenez is far too inconsistent overall, the Hardy Orioles ship (in my rat's ass of an opinion) has passed, and Miley (yet another struggling Orioles starting pitcher) has never put together a long-term streak like Tillman has (4 out of 5 very solid seasons from 2012 through 2016.)

o

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While I also have some interest in resigning Tillman, there isn't really much of a comparison between 2015 (4.99 ERA) and 2017 (8.10.) 2015 was just a pretty typical off year for a pitcher. 2017 has been an utter travesty.     

o

2017 has been a travesty of a season compared to 2015, but I believe that something is wrong with Tillman that he is not letting on (something that I neglected to say in my previous post.)

It is because of that that I am at least modestly optimistic about him bouncing back next year, and would be willing to bring him back for another try.

o

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Maybe, but why offer him anything to be a UTIF we have better cheaper options. BTW there are 9 teams with poorer defensive SS than Hardy is this year, one of them might sign him as a stop gap while a prospect developed. It's not out of he question.

I wouldn't offer him a lot but if he would take 2m to be the utility infielder I would do that.  I don't think the O's have anyone better considering that the place he would probably play the most in SS.

If someone offers more and he wants to go then he should take it.   But I know he like playing for Buck and being with the players.

Just now, wildcard said:

I wouldn't offer him a lot but if he would take 2m to be the utility infielder I would do that.  I don't think the O's have anyone better considering that the place were he would probably play the most in SS.

If someone offer more and he wants to go then he should take it.   But I know he like playing for back and being with the players.

The problem is once he's on the roster how do you keep Buck from playing him everyday?

About a month ago, Tillman said that when his shoulder started to hurt him last season his body adjusted itself to the pain and very subtly changed his mechanics. He went on to say that he hadn't gotten them back where they belong yet. 

I say that if he is able to fix his mechanics and prove that he can be a reliable starter again this year, then I would offer him a contract for next year. If he can't do that, then I wouldn't bank on it happening next year, either.

I have not interest in bringing back any of the others.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I wouldn't offer him a lot but if he would take 2m to be the utility infielder I would do that.  I don't think the O's have anyone better considering that the place he would probably play the most in SS.

If someone offers more and he wants to go then he should take it.   But I know he like playing for Buck and being with the players.

What makes you so sure Hardy would be able to play 2B/3B. He has never played them either in the MiL or the ML. I know Flaherty can and he would cost less than Hardy. Tejada can too and he would cost less than Flash. Hardy makes no sense.

Archived