Will Castillo opt out?

wildcard

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not really fair to him.  Early in his career he was a slightly above average framer.  His framing ability has declined along with the rest of his defensive skill set.

• 2009 +29
  • 2010 +39
  • 2011 +25
  • 2012 -31
  • 2013 -81
  • 2014 -11
  • 2015 -65
  • 2016 -55
  • 2017 -86

Yeah, maybe not fair to him early on his career. But certainly fell off a cliff.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'd be fine with Joseph and Pena to start 2018 with. Sisco and Wynns can start the season in AAA. 

Spend the Castillo money elsewhere. I'm not down on Sisco, just let him be the starting C in Norfolk for a few more months. Like June 1st, when we would get the extra year of control of him plus he'd be cheaper in arbitration. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we'd be fine with Joseph and Pena to start 2018 with. Sisco and Wynns can start the season in AAA. 

Spend the Castillo money elsewhere. I'm not down on Sisco, just let him be the starting C in Norfolk for a few more months. Like June 1st, when we would get the extra year of control of him plus he'd be cheaper in arbitration. 

Cheaper in arbitration?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cheaper in arbitration?

Well more valuable in team cost and control if we wait till June 1st, but would be more costly in Arb. 7 years vs 6. If he's a productive MLB player then that means he won't hit FA until he's 30. 

Nobody here is an expert at the whole keeping a prospect down to start a season or keep him down until June 1. Why?  Because we haven't had to worry about that to start a season in a long time. 

3 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Top 3 should be extended IMO. Jones though....IDK. If Santander does well in Norfolk and we don't get rid of Trumbo, then the outfield and 40 man are clusters. 

Honestly (Don't shoot me here) I think we keep Wade Miley for $9 million next year. Less shopping that DD has to do. 

Miley's option is $12 Million, not $9 Million. $500K buyout, so it would cost $11.5 Million to exercise his option. It's not happening.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Miley's option is $12 Million, not $9 Million. $500K buyout, so it would cost $11.5 Million to exercise his option. It's not happening.

That's all good and fine until you realize that Duquette was perfectly content paying $9m (Gallardo) in 2016 (and $11m in 2017) for an arm that was barely hanging on by a thread.

18 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

That's all good and fine until you realize that Duquette was perfectly content paying $9m (Gallardo) in 2016 (and $11m in 2017) for an arm that was barely hanging on by a thread.

Ubaldo and Gallardo were both coming off of career years. Not so with Miley.

I think:

1) Castillo does not exercise the option

2) I don't want him back.   I agree with Frobby, it appears that most of our pitchers do significantly better with Joseph behind the plate.   If each starter had the "Joseph ERA" instead of the ERA that he has, I think we would probably be a wild card right now.   I don't trust the stat fully but where there's smoke there's fire and there's an awful lot of smoke here.   Some of the differences are stunning, especially with our starters who have control issues.

3) I am willing to start next year with Joseph/Wynn while waiting for Cisco to be ready.   If you want to bring in a veteran to back up Joseph, I'm OK with that too.   You shake a tree every offseason and a bunch of Hundley's, Chirinos's, and Hanigan's fall out.   And they don't cost a lot.

4 hours ago, bpilktree said:

That tells me more that the starters have no idea where the ball is going.  The one guy that actually seems to be able to locate a fastball is doing better because when the catcher calls the pitch on the inside he can actually throw it there.  What we need is more guys that can actually throw the ball were it is called.  I haven't had much complaints about the pitch that either catcher calls but more that the pitchers can't throw it were they are calling it. 

Really?   If it's about the starters only, why do they do so much better with Joseph?

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Ubaldo and Gallardo were both coming off of career years. Not so with Miley.

Well, it was 1/2 a good season with Ubaldo. The first half of 2012 was pedestrian (4.50 ERA), the second half was fantastic (1.82 ERA). Which therein lies the rub. He was poor in 2011. So Duquette bought high.

As for Gallardo, he faltered in the second half of 2015 to the tune of 4.69 ERA...and there were rumblings of potential arm issues. And then our doctors threw up the red flag on him...and he still signed him.

He had an out on Gallardo. Which is the most frustrating thing in all of this. 

Archived