Pedro Alvarez Appreciation

Datalore

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think some team would have beat 2/18?

I have seen no valid information on that one way or another.  I'd say Dan was in a better position to judge that.    I would say Dan paid for something that he did not  get in the first  year of Trumbo contract.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I have seen no valid information on that one way or another.  I'd say Dan was in a better position to judge that.    I would say Dan paid for something that he did not  get in the first  year of Trumbo contract.

What in Trumbo's history would make Dan think that?  His current numbers are not particularly out of line for a player of his type over the age of 30

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What in Trumbo's history would make Dan think that?  His current numbers are not particularly out of line for a player of his type over the age of 30

Well, I believe there is speculation that Peter played a role in Trumbo's signing.   But the belief behind Trumbo's contract probably revolves around how he led the league in HRs in 2016 and  the impression that he hit  well in the O's hitters park.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, I believe there is speculation that Peter played a role in Trumbo's signing.   But the belief behind Trumbo's contract probably revolves around how he led the league in HRs in 2016 and  the impression that he hit  well in the O's hitters park.

Agreed.   And I don't agree that the Carter/Alvarez deals set the market for Trumbo.    He was a better option than those two, going into the season.

Mr. Angelos not only had a hand in resigning Trumbo, but also Davis, in my opinion.  I don't think Duquette left to his own devices would have done either contract.

As far as Alvarez goes -- I think the organization treated him well, considering.  They gave him a minor league gig and a chance to learn OF defense.  They really didn't have to do that -- OF is the best / deepest position on the farm aside from maybe relief pitching.

Consider last year's NL Home Run king, Chris Carter.  Signs a small deal with the Yankees and flames out anyway.  He went from 41 HR to on the street in less than a year.  Guys that do nothing but hit HRs are no longer a valuable commodity.  Which is probably more of an indictment on the Trumbo contract than the treatment of Alvarez.

[EDIT] before I even finish typing Frobby counters my last point, lol.  Davis has more value than the others because he can play 1B at a high level.  I dunno about Trumbo.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Mr. Angelos not only had a hand in resigning Trumbo, but also Davis, in my opinion.  I don't think Duquette left to his own devices would have done either contract.

As far as Alvarez goes -- I think the organization treated him well, considering.  They gave him a minor league gig and a chance to learn OF defense.  They really didn't have to do that -- OF is the best / deepest position on the farm aside from maybe relief pitching.

Consider last year's NL Home Run king, Chris Carter.  Signs a small deal with the Yankees and flames out anyway.  He went from 41 HR to on the street in less than a year.  Guys that do nothing but hit HRs are no longer a valuable commodity.  Which is probably more of an indictment on the Trumbo contract than the treatment of Alvarez.

[EDIT] before I even finish typing Frobby counters my last point, lol.  Davis has more value than the others because he can play 1B at a high level.  I dunno about Trumbo.

I am not sure I give Dan quite so much credit.  I wonder how you see that conversation going...

Dan:  Mr. Angelos, I am certainly not in favor of doing that.  I would recommend instead we spend those dollars in doing X......

Mr. Angelos:   Fie, Dan, fie!  Give me Crush.  Give me the TrumboBumbo!  I can't not have my favorites on my team. Let it be written, let it be done. 

Dan: Yes, my lord.  (while thinking...man, I could have been in Toronto) 

No, I wouldn't doubt that Dan recommended both deals, until he says otherwise in public some day.  Even then, it makes Dan's PR better if he can palm them both off as Angelos impulsive, interfering decision making. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived