What do you think is Mancini's ceiling?

Frobby

With just a few games to go, Trey Mancini is hitting .293/.337/.499 with 24 homers and 77 RBI.     I think he's exceeded expectations in his rookie year.   He's had a very consistent season, too.

So where do you think he goes from here?    Is he capable of being a .900 OPS guy?     Or is he a guy who pitchers will figure out the second time around?    Personally, I'm pretty optimistic.    He's got a pretty good approach at the plate and even though he doesn't walk a lot, he doesn't swing at a lot of bad pitches and I rarely see him off-balance.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what you see is what you'll get - good enough offensively and defensively to stick at either LF or 1B.  I like that he hit better on the road than at home - shows he wasn't just relying on Camden Yards.  But I don't expect a star.  He's not what Markakis was when he entered MLB, but he's a good solid player.    

Honestly, I think he's the next Babe Ruth.  No, scratch that.

He's the first Trey Mancini.

Haha but seriously, I think he's a fixture in the middle of our lineup for years to come.  Would not be surprised if he makes at few all-star games.  His swing is extremely efficient, so I'm hoping that will translate to consistency. 

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Pence is a solid comparison.  Solid .850ish guy every year, defense won't kill you.  The Braun comp is nice, I think that is his absolute highest ceiling.

Pence is a great comp. Braun's probably a stretch. People forget that when he's healthy Braun steals bases too (on top of everything else). 

13 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

If he starts badmouthing Baltimore I'll be shocked.

Haha. I thought about adding something to that effect.  From what I've seen of Trey so far, I doubt that he considers Bubba the Love Sponge part of his inner circle, so I'm not worried.  

While I don't think he can maintain the .345 BABIP and his walk rate will keep him from being an elite hitter. He's definitely been far better than I expected. I expect more of what he was this year, about league average value. Defense in the outfield is bad enough to pull the above average bat downward, and if he moves to first an average bat and average defense. He's basically Mark Trumbo (pre-2017), but younger and far cheaper. That's just fine.

Archived