Build your 2018 Team

Bahama O's Fan

Without trades (because we never know if we can complete them), build the best team possible with the reasonable budget which DD will be approved for. This is meant to be realistic, hence, 1. Build a contender because Dan will try to and 2. PA will only approve a certain size budget.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones RF

Hays CF

Rickard LF

Machado 3B

Beckham SS

Schoop 2B

Davis 1B

Joseph/Sisco C

Mancini DH

Bundy P

Gausman

Castro

Ynoa

*sign two FA starters

Bullpen 

Givens

O'Day

Bleier

Wright

*sign two to three experienced relievers-preferably one year deals 

Bench

Gentry

Wilkerson

*Britton, Brach and Trumbo traded

So, five spots available.

Position players is set, no need to do much there. Pitching, pitching, pitching. I'd see what Scott looks like in ST, but obviously he can't be counted on yet. Trumbo should be a salary dump, if they can get back even a B prospect I'd do it pronto.

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I can tell you what my 2018 team isn't:

The worst defensive CF'er in the majors : Adam Jones

The worst defensive SS in the majors: Tim Beckham

If the O's start Beckham and Jones they are DOA.

There's objective evidence that Jones is the worst defensive CF in the majors.    That evidence doesn't exist for Beckham.   In fact, among shortstops who played 500+ innings, he ranked 10th/35 in UZR/150.   Even if you want to go old school and look at fielding percentage, Beckham's fielding percentage was nowhere near as bad as Tim Anderson's (.962 to .952).    Anderson also came in dead last in UZR/150 by a wide margin.    The worst you can say about Beckham is that he makes too many errors on routine plays.   But his range is very good and he makes a lot of plays that most shortstops don't.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Beckham

Machado

Schoop

Mancini

Davis

Jones

Trumbo

Hays

Caleb/Sisco

Hardy

Santander

Gentry/Rickard

Cobb

Bundy

Chacin

Gausman

Tillman/Castro

Britton

O'Day

Brach

Givens

Bleier

Castro

Ynoa/Wright/Asher/ AAAA etc.

Best one so far. Got a guesstimate on the salary. I assume we won't go over 175.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There's objective evidence that Jones is the worst defensive CF in the majors.    That evidence doesn't exist for Beckham.   In fact, among shortstops who played 500+ innings, he ranked 10th/35 in UZR/150.   Even if you want to go old school and look at fielding percentage, Beckham's fielding percentage was nowhere near as bad as Tim Anderson's (.962 to .952).    Anderson also came in dead last in UZR/150 by a wide margin.    The worst you can say about Beckham is that he makes too many errors on routine plays.   But his range is very good and he makes a lot of plays that most shortstops don't.

Give him a full season at SS and I believe he will be the worst in the majors

He played 28 games at SS in 2015, 25 in 2016, and 119 in 2017

There is a reason he was traded for a rookie league pitcher, there is a reason he was never played with any regularity at SS in Tampa. The reason he is not very good, he is not a ML SS. Go ahead and bump this thread this time next year

Would be very interested to see webbrick make a small list of what things he would actually like to see DONE for next year's roster, instead of just ripping on the current roster and whatever moves Duquette makes in the off season.

For example, who would you play at CF and SS next year sir?

I understand what a lot of the people are saying about the upgrades that are needed on our team, but I don't honestly see many things happening this off season ultimately due to the fact of this is the last year that everyone of importance over the past 5 years of good seasons might be going away. I think  they will try to fill in some holes with 1-2 yr contract types of guys and see what 2018 holds. If it starts to look really bad by the trade deadline, then that's when the trades start happening. You then build around what you can: Davis Contract isn't going away, Locking Up Schoop, Mancini, Bundy/Gausman, some bullpen pieces and Hays. So here's what I see the 2018 season looking like:

C-Chance Sisco and Caleb Joseph

1B- Chris Davis

2B- Jonathan Schoop

SS- Tim Beckham and JJ Hardy (1 yr. 5 Mil after already getting the 2 Mil in his current contract)

3B- Manny Machado

LF-Trey Mancini

CF-Adam Jones

RF- Austin Hays

DH- Mark Trumbo

Bench:

Anthony Santander

C mentioned

SS mentioned

Steve Wilkerson

Joey Rickard

SP:

1. Dylan Bundy

2. Kevin Gausman

3. Alex Cobb-4 yrs. 48 Mil

4. Miguel Gonzalez-2 yrs. 20 Mil w/ option for 3rd

5. Tyler Chatwood or Chris Tilman on a 1 yr with Incentives deal

RP:

Miguel Castro

Richard Bleier

Darren O Day

Brad Brach

Mychal Givens

Zach Britton

Just now, Aglets said:

Britton definitely gets offered arbitration right?

He made $11.4M this year..............I don't love the idea of giving him an automatic raise but I suspect they will just to make sure he doesn't jump ship.

Not sure what you mean by "jump ship". He's not a FA, they'll just make him an offer or go to arbitration. They're handcuffed a bit, as you say, by the raise. But, they can always trade him.

38 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Give him a full season at SS and I believe he will be the worst in the majors

He played 28 games at SS in 2015, 25 in 2016, and 119 in 2017

There is a reason he was traded for a rookie league pitcher, there is a reason he was never played with any regularity at SS in Tampa. The reason he is not very good, he is not a ML SS. Go ahead and bump this thread this time next year

Man, this post is SO, SO negative. I cringed when I read it. Ouch!

But I don't really disagree with it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beckham splitting time at SS by the end of the year. That said, it seems clear that DD wants to give him a shot at the starting job and I suspect Buck will too. But if his hitting is mediocre, then he will see his playing time significantly decrease as the season progresses (I bet the Orioles will acquire and then stash several no-hit backup SS in the minors). Beckham had one of the hottest Augusts I think I've ever seen, but the rest of his season was really up and down with some down downs. 

Archived