O's trade surplus could come from left field

wildcard

Mancini is the present left fielder and since the O's are looking to go for it in 2018,  he is likely to stay there.    If the O's can find a way to trade Trumbo, Pedro Alvarez is more likely to be the O's DH next year than Mancini.  The O's need to add a lefty to the lineup with Smith leaving and that could be Pedro.   Jones and Hays who man center and right are right-handed.

Santander is a Rule 5 guy.  He could be traded but the acquiring club would have to keep him on the roster for 46 days.  He is outfield depth at present and could project as a right or left fielder or DH.

DJ Stewart projects as a left field.   #1 drat choice who's stock is on the rise,  He could be traded.

Mullins is a CF and the O's probably want to hold on to him as Adams  replacement in Center at some point.

Rafaela  is the Carolina league MVP as a left fielder.  I would think he is tradable and needs to be added to the 40 roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. 

Rickard projects as a 4th outifielder who was outplayed this year by Gentry.   He could start the year in AAA and be called up when needed.   He has little trade value.

Gentry is a cheap backup outfielder that could be resigned as a free agent.

Mountcastle has trade value because he can hit and may not have the arm for 3B.   He may project as a left fielder.    He could be a trade chip.

So the O's are well stocked at left field and this could be an area that trades are made from.   Especially since Dan wants to keep Britton and Brach.  I think he made extend Brach this off season so as not be lose him.  Britton as a Boras client probably can't be extended.

So look for talks about Santander, Stewart, Rafaela and Mountcastle for pitching this off season in my guess.   Trumbo for a bad contract pitcher is also something  that is probably desirable for an O's trade.  JM

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mancini is the present left fielder and since the O's are looking to go for it in 2018,  he is likely to stay there.    If the O's can find a way to trade Trumbo, Pedro Alvarez is more likely to be the O's DH next year than Mancini.  The O's need to add a lefty to the lineup with Smith leaving and that could be Pedro.   Jones and Hays who man center and right are right-handed.

Santander is a Rule 5 guy.  He could be traded but the acquiring club would have to keep him on the roster for 46 days.  He is outfield depth at present and could project as a right or left fielder or DH.

DJ Stewart projects as a left field.   #1 drat choice who's stock is on the rise,  He could be traded.

Mullins is a CF and the O's probably want to hold on to him as Adams  replacement in Center at some point.

Rafaela  is the Carolina league MVP as a left fielder.  I would think he is tradable and needs to be added to the 40 roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. 

Rickard projects as a 4th outifielder who was outplayed this year by Gentry.   He could start the year in AAA and be called up when needed.   He has little trade value.

Mountcastle has trade value because he can hit and may not have the arm for 3B.   He may project as a left fielder.    He could be a trade chip.

So the O's are well stocked at left field and this could be an area that trades are made from.   Especially since Dan wants to keep Britton and Brach.  I think he made extend Brach this off season so as not be lose him.  Britton as a Boras client probably can't be extended.

So look for talks about Santander, Stewart, Rafaela and Mountcastle for pitching this off season in my guess.   Trumbo for a bad contract pitcher is also something  that is probably desirable for an O's trade.  JM

Why would you leave a below average outfielder out there while giving Buck someone that you know he will play in the field?  Put actual outfielders out there with Jones and watch the pitching improve.

I honestly don't get the fascination some folks have with Pedro.  I just don't.  No other team wanted him last offseason, no other team wanted him during last season.  He has a very limited skill-set.  He doesn't field, he doesn't run, he doesn't hit for average, he doesn't get on base and he isn't really a huge power threat.  He's a slightly above average platoon hitter who can only DH.  Why do you want to limit your roster by including someone like him?

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Trading is what I am afraid of. DD is not good at that. I don't have anything personally against DD. But I don't trust him as a GM.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would you leave a below average outfielder out there while giving Buck someone that you know he will play in the field?  Put actual outfielders out there with Jones and watch the pitching improve.

I honestly don't get the fascination some folks have with Pedro.  I just don't.  No other team wanted him last offseason, no other team wanted him during last season.  He has a very limited skill-set.  He doesn't field, he doesn't run, he doesn't hit for average, he doesn't get on base and he isn't really a huge power threat.  He's a slightly above average platoon hitter who can only DH.  Why do you want to limit your roster by including someone like him?

The O's are going to have to spend to keep there good players.  Manny, Schoop, Gausman, Brach are all getting more expensive.  They need money to sign starters.  They would probably like to go cheaper on a DH.   Pedro went 249/322/504/826 in 337 at bat in 2016.   He is left-handed which would help balance the lineup with Davis and Sisco.    

Would the O's like more versatile players.   Sure, but where do you get a 826 OPS for a left-handed  bat for 2m?

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I think Mountcastle is definitely on table.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The O's are going to have to spend to keep there good players.  Manny, Schoop, Gausman, Brach are all getting more expensive.  They need money to sign starters.  They would probably like to go cheaper on a DH.   Pedro went 249/322/504/826 in 337 at bat in 2016.   He is left-handed which would help balance the lineup with Davis and Sisco.    

Would the O's like more versatile players.   Sure, but were do you get a 826 OPS for a left-handed  bat for 2m?

I'd rather the O's see what they have in him before they put him on the trade block. Could he or some other minor leaguer be the DH? I would much rather they do that than have Trumbo. Don't think the O's could move Trumbo anyway. I was just wondering. 

18 hours ago, wildcard said:

Let Sisco DH if you unload Trumbo--which I doubt you will.

I think this team is at least 2 very good starters away. Bundy and Gausman still can’t be considered legitimate just yet. 

Gausman cant seem to figure out his game til mid July and Bundy needs to show he can stay strong for a full season. ( I love Bundy just worry that he can handle 200 innings and a postseason.) 

I’m with most in wanting to get rid of Trumbo. I’m not and haven’t been to high on him. With that said, I don’t think you’re getting much for him without sending a solid prospect. I’d be willing to part with Stewart and Mountcastle. 

I do think with 2 strong starting pitchers we also need to find away to balance out this line up with some speed and guys who can make a pitcher work. 

The O's definitely have a surplus of Corner OF's. The trade market for them probably isnt as strong as it will be next season, though when all of the guys in the minors will be close to ready.  Or will have the numbers to solidify their trade value.  

12 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The O's definitely have a surplus of Corner OF's. The trade market for them probably isnt as strong as it will be next season, though when all of the guys in the minors will be close to ready.  Or will have the numbers to solidify their trade value.  

The O's got Beckham for Tobias Myers.   How close to the majors was Myers?

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's got Beckham for Tobias Myers.   How close to the majors was Myers?

I'm not sure I understand your point.    Let's say Myers has two good years in the minors in 2017-18.     Don't you think his trade value then will be higher than when we traded him for Beckham?    (By the way, Beckham seems a lot more valuable now than he did when we made the trade.)

The other thing is, I'm not sure that the talent/readiness tradeoff works the same way for corner outfielders as it does for pitchers.    People are always dreaming on young arms if the talent is there.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not sure I understand your point.    Let's say Myers has two good years in the minors in 2017-18.     Don't you think his trade value then will be higher than when we traded him for Beckham?    (By the way, Beckham seems a lot more valuable now than he did when we made the trade.)

The other thing is, I'm not sure that the talent/readiness tradeoff works the same way for corner outfielders as it does for pitchers.    People are always dreaming on young arms if the talent is there.  

But Myers was not trade by the O's in 2 years.  He was traded this summer.  And he brought back a major leaguer.   So the left fielders that the O's may consider surplus could do the same.  It all depends on what the other teams think of the players the O's are offering.

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But Myers was not trade by the O's in 2 years.  He was traded this summer.  And he brought back a major leaguer.   So the left fielders that the O's may consider surplus could do the same.  It all depends on what the other teams think of the players the O's are offering.

It also depends on the other team's perception of the player they are giving up. The Rays wanted to get rid of Beckham. The O's saw Beckham as a major leaguer; the Rays did not.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It also depends on the other team's perception of the player they are giving up. The Rays wanted to get rid of Beckham. The O's saw Beckham as a major leaguer; the Rays did not.

Oh, I think the Rays believed Beckman was a major leaguer.   Beckman believed then and believes now that he is a starting SS.  The Rays were not on the same page with that and had him as a platoon 2B.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Oh, I think the Rays believed Beckman was a major leaguer.   Beckman believed then and believes now that he is a starting SS.  The Rays were not on the same page with that and had him as a platoon 2B.

I've noticed several posts where you've called him Beckman.    Is it an autocorrect thing?

I could imagine a scenario where a team trades a guy who is overpaid to us for one of our corner OF prospects.   

Archived