Buck Is A Rumored Candidate For The Phillies Managerial Job?

ORIOLE33

This is hardly a rumor.   A Philly sportswriter speculated on who might be a candidate and listed Showalter based on the fact that he'd worked with MacPhail and Klentak before and that there were rumors that there were tensions between him and Duquette.     That's all there is to this rumor.    Other writers have picked up what the Philly writer said.   There's no there there.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is hardly a rumor.   A Philly sportswriter speculated on who might be a candidate and listed Showalter based on the fact that he'd worked with MacPhail and Klentak before and that there were rumors that there were tensions between him and Duquette.     That's all there is to this rumor.    Other writers have picked up what the Philly writer said.   There's no there there.   

A NothingBuckBurger. Besides, Buck always orders the nuggets. 

3 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

If John Farrell can be fired by Boston, why is it so out of the question for the O's to replace Buck?

Because Buck has led the O's to unprecedented success (since the late 90s), is almost universally admired in the industry, and is highly respected by basically everyone that knows baseball.

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Because Buck has led the O's to unprecedented success (since the late 90s), is almost universally admired in the industry, and is highly respected by basically everyone that knows baseball.

So that gives him a lifetime contract?

Just now, ORIOLE33 said:

But you didn't name one. Look, not that I want Buck gone, but I don't think it's the end of the world if he does leave. 

That's much different than "why is it out of the question that Buck would be fired". Two different topics, and I don't necessarily disagree. 

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

But you didn't name one. Look, not that I want Buck gone, but I don't think it's the end of the world if he does leave. 

He's likely gone after 2018 either way. But I think Buck wants one last run with the core. 

51 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I will give the following reasons for you to peruse at your leisure.

First and foremost is that Farrell was not the GM's choice but was inherited.  He was hired by Ben Cherington, after winning the World series he was given an extension, with option years.  He had an option for 2018 but after a second year with a quick exit from the playoffs, Dombrowski and the Red Soxs figured that a different direction was needed.

Given a team of high priced players to the tune of $210 Million plus and getting beat by a team with a $178 Million payroll seems to hold an accountability issue with Management.

His handling of the Pedroia/Machado incident quickly developed into a divide with Pedroia. 

His handling of the Price incident left a sour taste in the Sports Beat Writers mouths/pens.

His ejection from the game 4 of the 2017 Division series may have been the final straw.  This was a continuation of the constant arguing of balls and strikes that he is known for since his time in Toronto.

Archived