The 100 Most Significant Dates in Modern Orioles History

SteveA

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a very satisfying day, but I’d rank it lower because I’m not a big believer that this game had anything to do with what happened in 2012 or afterwards.    That had more to do with players who were brought in (Chen, Gonzalez, Hammel, O’Day, Ayala, McLouth, Machado and others) and younger players who hit their stride (Davis, Tillman and even Jones), IMO.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

It's 36 days until pitchers and catchers report.   Here is the 36th most significant date in modern Orioles history:

#36 September 28, 2011

There were high hopes for the 2011 Orioles.  After hiring Buck Showalter, the 2010 team had finished 34-23, and top prospect Brian Matusz had been fantastic down the stretch.

Unfortunately, Matusz was one of the worst starting pitchers in the history of baseball in 2011 and the Orioles were a terrible team as well.  On September 18, they stood at 62-89, and went into Boston for a 4 game series.  The Red Sox led Tampa by two games for the AL wild card spot, and the Orioles had been 3-8 vs Boston for the year.  The Orioles had been a horrifying 29-72 vs Boston dating back to the start of the 2005 season.

But the Orioles took 3 of 4 in that series from Boston.  A week later, Boston came to Baltimore for the final 3 game series of the season.  Boston was just one game ahead of Tampa for the wild card.  On Monday the 26th, Tampa beat the Yankees.  The Orioles and Red Sox were tied 2-2 in the 6th when Chris Davis doubled in a run and Robert Andino followed with a 3-run inside the park home run.  The Orioles won 6-3 and Boston and Tampa were now tied for the last playoff spot.

The next day, Tampa beat the Yankees again.  The Red Sox led hte Orioles 8-5, but the Orioles got two in the 8th and one in the bottom of the 9th to make it a game.  Adam Jones grounded out to end the game with the tie run on 2nd.

So the AL Wild Card came down to the last day of the season, September 28.  MLB Network was bouncing in an out of both critical games.   In Baltimore, Jon Lester, who had an incredible record of success vs the Orioles at the time, faced Alfredo Simon.  The Red Sox took a 3-2 lead in the 5th and the bullpens started putting up zeroes.  And there was a long, long rain delay.  Meanwhile in Tampa, the starters were Dellin Betances and David Price.  The Yankees blasted Price and led 7-0.  It looked like Boston would win, Tampa would lose, and the Red Sox would go to the playoffs.

Tampa trailed 7-0 into the bottom of the 8th.  According to baseball reference, they had a 0% chance to win the game.  Yankee reliever Boone Logan loaded the bases, and Luis Ayala came out of the pen.  He walked in a run, hit a batter to force in another run, and gave up a 1-out sac fly to make it 7-3.  Evan Longoria then hit a 3-run HR to pull Tampa to within 1 run!  Then in the bottom of the 9th, with two outs and two strikes, Dan Johnson, who had a .108 batting average for hte year, hit a game tying home run to tie the game and send it to extra innings!

After the rain delay the Red Sox took the 3-2 lead into the bottom of the 9th.  The Red Sox brought in closer Jonathan Papelbon and he promptly struck out Adam Jones and Mark Reynolds swinging.  The Red Sox were one out away from the pla yoffs.   Chris Davis laced Papelbon's first pitch for a double.  Nolan Reimold then hit a 2-strike ground rule double into the bleachers and the Orioles had tied the game!  Robert Andino stepped to the plate.  He hit a ball to left field that Carl Crawford couldn't make a sliding catch on it, he short hopped it, bobbled it, and Reimold raced home to score the winning run!  The Orioles had won 3-2.  The team and fans celebrated the moment as if they had made the playoffs.

At Oriole Park, they put the Tampa/Yankee game on the scoreboard.  It was in the 12th inning.  Three minutes after Andino had hit the game winner in Baltimore, Evan Longira hit a walkoff home run and the Rays had completed their miraculous comeback and grabbed the last wild card, eliminating the Red Sox.

Some writers called it the "greatest night in the history of baseball".  THe same night, St Louis edged Atlanta for the NL wild card as the Cardinals won and then the Braves lost in extra innings to the Phillies.

It might only have been a walkoff win for a losing team, but it felt like a lot more to Oriole fans.  And, in fact, the next season the Orioles ended their 14 season losing stretch, made the playoffs.  In the next 5 years they would make the playoffs 3 times, win a division, go to an ALCS, and not have a losing season.  After having an absolutely horrific record in games against Jon Lester, they would turn that around too and win nearly every game he started against them the next two years.  After that amazing 29-73 stretch of Boston, starting with the September 19 game in Boston, the Orioles would go 56-36 in their next 92 games with Boston.

Much like the August 1986 game where the Orioles hit two grand slams and lost, if ever a single major league game can be considered a real turning point game, the September 28, 2011 walk-off win vs Boston certainly fits the bill.

https://youtu.be/vTjPQtNsG04

o

I was lucky enough to have been at that game.

o

It's 35 days until pitchers and catchers report.   Here is the 35th most significant date in modern Orioles history:

#35 October 6, 2001

An era in Baltimore baseball history ended on October 6, 2001, when Cal Ripken played the final game of his 20+ year career.  The future first ballot Hall of Famer was the son of longtime Orioles coach Cal Ripken.   He was drafted in the 2nd round of the 1978 draft out of high school, and 3 years later made his debut at age 20

During his illustrious career, Cal is best known for breaking Lou Gehrig's record for consecutive games played.  He also hit more home runs than any shortstop in major league history, won a Rookie of the Year Award, two MVPs, a Gold Glove, and made 19 consecutive All Star teams.

On June 20, 2001, Cal announced that he would retire at the end of the season.  A "retirement tour" ensued, where Cal was honored with ceremonies and gifts on the road at various road venues.  

According to the MLB schedule, Cal's career would end Sundy, September 30, at Yankee Stadium.  But when the tragic events of September 11 halted MLB for a week, those missing games were added on at the end of the season.  So instead of ending on the road, the Orioles ended hte season at home vs Boston.  After a doubleheader on Friday night the 5th, the finale of Cal's career would be Saturday night, October 6 (a day later than all the other teams in the majors).

The Orioles were a bad team in 2001, and the last game wasn't much different.  Rich Bauer and the O's fell to David Cone and the Red Sox, 5-1.  Cal was 0 for 3.  He was on deck at the end of the game when Brady Anderson struck out on a 3-2 count, so he never got a chance for one last at bat.

cal-ripken-streak-2131-21.jpg

MASN reaired this game on Orioles Classics recently, and I happened to catch Brady's final PA vs. Ugueth Urbina.  Jim Hunter had the play by play, and was entertainingly outraged/indignant the Red Sox manager wouldn't intentionally walk Anderson so Cal could have one more time up.  At one point, he goes, "Dan Duquette hired this guy, and...." suggests he must be heartless/ashamed/embarrassed about this happening.  Jim is really something.

I was at this game with my then nine-year old son, who broke out sobbing when Brady struck out and denied Cal one last at bat in that game.    Ironically, it was also Brady's last at bat in an Orioles uniform, as the Orioles released him after the season even though he had one year and $4 mm remaining on his deal.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was at that game, too.

Still have a vivid memory of Brady whiffing on what I remember to be a shoulder high fastball.  If I remember that at at bat, Brady got down 0-2 and then fought back to 3-2.  

Yep, it was ball four.  

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

It's 35 days until pitchers and catchers report.   Here is the 35th most significant date in modern Orioles history:

#35 October 6, 2001

An era in Baltimore baseball history ended on October 6, 2001, when Cal Ripken played the final game of his 20+ year career.  The future first ballot Hall of Famer was the son of longtime Orioles coach Cal Ripken.   He was drafted in the 2nd round of the 1978 draft out of high school, and 3 years later made his debut at age 20

During his illustrious career, Cal is best known for breaking Lou Gehrig's record for consecutive games played.  He also hit more home runs than any shortstop in major league history, won a Rookie of the Year Award, two MVPs, a Gold Glove, and made 19 consecutive All Star teams.

On June 20, 2001, Cal announced that he would retire at the end of the season.  A "retirement tour" ensued, where Cal was honored with ceremonies and gifts on the road at various road venues.  

According to the MLB schedule, Cal's career would end Sundy, September 30, at Yankee Stadium.  But when the tragic events of September 11 halted MLB for a week, those missing games were added on at the end of the season.  So instead of ending on the road, the Orioles ended hte season at home vs Boston.  After a doubleheader on Friday night the 5th, the finale of Cal's career would be Saturday night, October 6 (a day later than all the other teams in the majors).

The Orioles were a bad team in 2001, and the last game wasn't much different.  Rich Bauer and the O's fell to David Cone and the Red Sox, 5-1.  Cal was 0 for 3.  He was on deck at the end of the game when Brady Anderson struck out on a 3-2 count, so he never got a chance for one last at bat.

cal-ripken-streak-2131-21.jpg

I have been an Oriole Fan since the 60's, but this is likely to be the only date/game where I was lucky enough to attend.  My wife, and 2 of my 4 kids and I (the others not being born) saw the last game per the regular season schedule in Baltimore, and then the last Series in NY.  Of course, 9/11 forced some rescheduling and the Boston Series was played after the NY series.  Saw em both and then later the induction ceremony in Cooperstown.  My wife and one of my daughters made the papers in St. Louis waving to Cal.

I think I just realized that I have disliked Brady Anderson ever since he swung through ball 4 and made my girls cry with Cal on deck.  

A long time ago....in a land far away...

It's 34 days until pitchers and catchers report.   Here is the 34th most significant date in modern Orioles history:

#34 September 17, 1955

On May 28, 1955, 18 year old second baseman graduated from high school  That very day, Arthur Ehlers, assistant to Oriole manager/GM Paul Richards, flew to Little Rock Arkansas and signed Robinson to a $4000 contract.  Ehlers and Brooks got on a plane to Baltimore -- Brook's first flight.

The next day, Robinson and a couple other new signees were taking grounders at Memorial Stadium in front or Richards.  Richards liked what he saw of Brooks, and had the youngster accompany the Orioles on their next road trip to get a taste of the major leagues.  After that was complete, Brooks was sent to York PA to play for the Class B League York White Roses.

Brooks made his debut for the White Roses on June 3, playing second base, in front of 939 fans. The PA announcer mistakenly announced him as Bob Robinson, and the next day's newspaper described "Bob's" debut.

Brooks hit .331 that summer for York, with 11 home runs.  After 50 games or so, York manager George Staller, a future Oriole coach, moved Brooks to third base.  He told Brooks that he would get hurt less not having baserunners sliding into him; Brooks himself says he didn't have the range for 2nd base.  Many accounts indicate that the move was planned all along by Paul Richards.

On September 17, 1955, Brooks was called up to Baltimore and immediately put in the starting lineup at third base.  That would begin the career of the man who is undoubtedly the most beloved man to ever wear the Oriole uniform.  He would be an MVP, World Series MVP, an amazing 16 time Gold Glove winner, an 18 time all star, and would play in 23 Oriole seasons.  A first ballot Hall of Famer, no one gave more (free) autographs than Brooks.  Hundreds of fans named their children after him.  He had a second career as color commentator for televised Orioles games and yet another generation got to know him.

The 18 year old youngster who made his major league debut on September 17, 1955 would become the beloved face of the Oriole franchise and a Baltimore treasure.

Brooks_Robinson_1955.jpg

NOTE:  I tended to avoid player debuts in this list.  I had Manny's because I felt it was significant.  Eddie's was mentioned because it occurred on an Opening Day when the Orioles had a significant influx of young talent, with Eddie as the centerpiece.  But I didn't include the debuts of Frank Robinson or Jim Palmer or ay other Oriolep players.  I wouldn't have included Brooks' either if I could have found the data I REALLY wanted... the date in the summer of 1955 when York manager George Staller moved Brooks from 2nd base to 3rd.  My "research" (which basically consisted of Google searches) was not able to come up with this date.  I found several sources that said it was 40 games after his June 3 debut with York, and others said it was 50.  Brooks actually played 54 games at 2nd and 40 at 3rd that summer for York, but I couldn't locate his first game at 3rd.  It was probably late July or early August. So I went with his major league debut instead.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

As someone who was born in 1981 and missed ........ well, pretty much all of the glory years, one of the things that bums me out the most is that all I've really seen of Brooks is his plays in the 1970 World Series against the Reds. 

o

This is the final home run of his career, from 1977.

o

In the biography Brooks, it was reported that after Paul Richards watched Brooks take grounders at 2B that first day after he was signed, he told reporters “I think we just watched the best third baseman I’ve ever seen.”   So Richards had Brooks pegged for 3B even before he was moved there.

One of the things I learned reading that book is that Brooks was recognized in the local media as a wunderkind fielder long before he had a regular gig in the majors.   Brooks didn’t stick in the majors for good until 1960 (he played a full season in the majors in 1958 but got demoted for part of the 1959 season), but he spent at least some time in the majors every season from 1955 through 1959 and there were many articles acknowledging his amazing fielding prowess during those years.

It's 33 days until pitchers and catchers report to Sarasota.   Here is the 33rd most significant date in modern Orioles history, and it took place on 33rd Street:

#33 October 17, 1971

The defending World Champion Orioles once again brushed past the Minnesota Twins and made their 5th World Series in 6 years in 1971, this time matched up against the Pittsburgh Pirates, led by veteran Roberto Clemente and young Willie Stargell, two future Hall of Famers.

The Orioles had won 318 regular season games in three seasons, yet so far had only one World Championship to show for it.  The series opened in Baltimore.  The Pirates got 3 runs off Dave McNally early, thanks to some poor defense by the Orioles, but the O's came back.  Merv Rettenmund's 3-run homer off Dock Ellis keyed the Orioles comeback, McNally settled down, and the O's won 7-3.

After a rainout, Game 2 was played on a Monday afternoon.  Brooks Robinson had 4 RBIs, Jim Palmer had 7 shutout innings, and the Orioles coasted to a 11-3 win.  The O's took a 2-0 lead to Pittsburgh, with no day off due to the rainout.

Tuesday afternoon, the O's knew a win would give them a nearly insurmountable 3-0 lead.  But Steve Blass was sharp for the Pirates, and through 6 innings it was 2-0 Pittsburgh.  Frank Robinson hit a home run to cut it to 2-1. But in the bottom of the inning, Bob Robertson hit a 3-run homer off Mike Cuellar, after missing a bunt sign!  Pirates won 5-1.

The next day, the Orioles and Pirates played the first night game in World Series history.  The Orioles jumped on starter Luke Walker for 3 in the top of the first; Walker didn't survive the inning as Pirate manager Danny Murtaugh pulled Walker and brought in Bruce Kison to get the last out.  In the bottom of the first, Willie Stargell and Al Oliver hit back to back RBI doubles to make it 3-2.  The Pirates tied it in the 3rd.  Kison pitched 6.1 shutout innings in relief, and reliever Eddie Watt gave up a run in the bottom of the 7th, on a Milt May RBI single that was set up in part because Paul Blair dropped a fly ball.  Pittsburgh won 4-3 to even the series at 2.

Thursday in game 5, the Pirates went with future Oriole Nelson Briles, who was just a spot starter/long man, in order to save Steve Blass and Dock Ellis for games 6 and 7.  It worked as Briles pitched a complete game 2 hit shutout, and the Pirates took a 3-2 lead back to Baltimore.

Saturday afternoon in Baltimore, the Orioles were on the brink of elimination.  Dock Ellis was nursing an injury, so Pittsburgh was forced to start reliever Bob Moose.  He pitched 5 shutout innings, and Pittsburgh took a 2-0 lead into the 6th.  Don Buford homered to make it 2-1.  In the 7th, Mark Belanger singled, stole 2nd, and scored on a Davey Johnson single to tie the game.  The Orioles got 2 on in the bottom of the 9th with two outs but didn't score; the Pirates loaded the bases in the top of the 10th but Dave McNally, in relief, got out of it.  Finally in the bottom of the 10th, Frank Robinson walked, went to 3rd on a Rettenmund single.   Brooks Robinson lofted a fly ball to Vic Davalillo in center and Frank tagged and just beat the throw to the plate.  The Orioles had tied the series and forced a game 7.

On Sunday, October 17, game 7 was played at Memorial Stadium (at 2PM due to Baltimore's blue laws that also forced the Colts to start home games at 2; the previous 5 day games in the series had all been at 1PM).  The home team had won every game so far, and the Orioleshoped that continued  Steve Blass and Mike Cuellar took the mound,., and it was a pitcher's duel. Roberto Clemente broke a scoreless tie with a homer off Cuellar in the 4th.  Jose Pagan doubled in Stargell to make it 2-0 in the 8th.  The Orioles got a run in the bottom of the 8th, but Blass pitched a complete game 4-hit shutout.  The Pirates won the game 2-1 and the series 4-3.  

The 1969-1971 Orioles had one of the best 3 year stretches in baseball history; they were probably the best defensive team the game has ever seen.  But they only managed to win it all once in those 3 years, as they lost a heartbreaking 7 game series on October 17, 1971.

Roberto-Clemente-1971-001299577Final.jpg

I’ll go to my grave thinking that the ‘69-‘71 O’s were among the top 5 or so teams of all time, and better than a number of teams that won three consecutive World Series (e.g., the ‘72-‘74 A’s).    But, it is what it is.   The irony is, the team they beat in 1970 was better than the teams they lost to in ‘69 and ‘71.    But that’s baseball.

Archived