Orioles to take another shot at extending Machado per Roch

Roll Tide

Will the Orioles get Manny resigned  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles get Machado signed?

• No ...They are just trying to prevent a fan exodus by saying they tried
    • No, They are going to back up the Brinks truck, but Machado isn't interested in staying
    • Yes...Angela s finally signs off on the big dollars and gets it done
    • Other.....

Will the Orioles attempt to re-sign Manny Machado?
They’re expected to take another shot at it. The question is when and for how long.

This is a good sign if it is really true. I doubt they are going to do what it takes and are likely just trying to appease the fans.

Poll to Come

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More:   

That’s two questions.
That’s two more than what you just offered. Anyway, yes, because ownership wants him to stay and needs to find out what it’s going to cost. And Machado’s side needs to know how much the Orioles are willing to give him. The preliminary feeling-it-out process is done. The talks need to become much more serious and advanced.

Just don't understand the sign Manny (at almost any cost) camp

We just finished in last place with Manny

How does allocating even more payroll to him improve the team?

Signing Manny will lock the O's into irrelevance for a decade as has 90% of the top 20 MLB contracts for the team spending the money

Why do folks think it would be any different with Manny?

He should have been traded 2 years ago, hopefully he is real greedy and we dodge a bullet by not being able to pay him.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Just don't understand the sign Manny (at almost any cost) camp

We just finished in last place with Manny

How does allocating even more payroll to him improve the team?

Signing Manny will lock the O's into irrelevance for a decade as has 90% of the top 20 MLB contracts for the team spending the money

Why do folks think it would be any different with Manny?

He should have been traded 2 years ago, hopefully he is real greedy and we dodge a bullet by not being able to pay him.

I agree with you on this one. I like Manny but I don't think it makes sense to extend him with the current make up of this team. This is not a good baseball at the moment.

Top 20 Contacts (Fox Sports)

1. Miguel Cabrerra (Tigers) - One Playoff appearance, now big bust

2. ARod (Yankees) - Bust

3. ARod (Texas) - No playoff appearances, huge bust

4. Joey Votto (Cin) - MVP Player... yet zero playoff appearances for the Reds

5. Pujols (Angels) - Have they had a .500 season, big bust for the Angels

6. Robinson Cano (Mariners) - Not as good as he was, zero playoff appearances for Mariners, Bust

7. Clayton Kershaw (Dodgers) - Hey a big contract that worked,

8. Prince Fielder (Tigers) - Still getting paid, Tigers still in last place

9. Derek Jeter (Yankees) - Another good deal for the Yankees

10. Joe Maurer (Twins) - Another huge bust

Out of the top 10, 7 clear busts, one MVP player that still can't lift his team to a .500 record, and two contracts that actually helped a team to the playoffs

Can't wait to see where Manny falls will fall on this list.

Put it this way - my 10 year old has asked for a Manny Machado Fathead for Christmas and I'm trying to talk him out of it - not that I don't like Machado, I just don't want it to be obsolete in a year lol.

In all seriousness, I think Manny has legitimately enjoyed his time here, but I've also never really believed he has much interest in staying.  He wants brighter lights IMO.  I do think the O's are interested in signing him and would be willing to pay significantly to bring him back, I just don't see it happening at this point.

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

2. ARod (Yankees) - Bust

6. Robinson Cano (Mariners) - Not as good as he was, zero playoff appearances for Mariners, Bust

Out of the top 10, 7 clear busts, one MVP player that still can't lift his team to a .500 record, and two contracts that actually helped a team to the playoffs

I agree with you in theory - the difference of course is that Manny is significantly younger than most on that list when they received those deals.  Of course, he's also already had both knees operated on and has a lot of mileage on his body already.  But in general I agree, and would have liked to have seen him traded last offseason.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

2. ARod (Yankees) - Bust

To be fair, I can't stand A-Rod but he was very good in 2009 and I'm not sure they get a ring without him.

And I don't think the logic follows that because the majority of these contracts are busts that follows that Manny's is more likely to fail.  Out of these 10 which ones are the closest comps to giving a huge deal to a 26 year old superstar infielder?

Probably the A-Rod Texas deal or the Jeter deal?   They worked out just fine.  A-Rod spent most of those years in NY (only 3 in TX it appears) and they made the playoffs basically every single year.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

To be fair, I can't stand A-Rod but he was very good in 2009 and I'm not sure they get a ring without him.

And I don't think the logic follows that because the majority of these contracts are busts that follows that Manny's is more likely to fail.  Out of these 10 which ones are the closest comps to giving a huge deal to a 26 year old superstar infielder?

Probably the A-Rod Texas deal or the Jeter deal?   They worked out just fine.  A-Rod spent most of those years in NY (only 3 in TX it appears) and they made the playoffs basically every single year.

I dont think Pujols has been a bust either, yes, he had a very sub-par year this season, but 2 very good years and two decent years.

But in LAA, he has WARs of:  4.0 / 1.3 / 3.1 / 2.6 / 1.8 / -1.3

The best argument I think one can make in the "let Manny walk" camp is that it ties up too much payroll between him and Davis.

New York made all those huge contracts work but they also had a payroll like 50% higher than all MLB teams for a good while.   We aren't going to be doing that.

I think it's possible to make it all work with those 2 but it's going to be quite a bit of a tight rope.   My gut says that 2018 is Manny's last year here.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

The best argument I think one can make in the "let Manny walk" camp is that it ties up too much payroll between him and Davis.

New York made all those huge contracts work but they also had a payroll like 50% higher than all MLB teams for a good while.   We aren't going to be doing that.

I think it's possible to make it all work with those 2 but it's going to be quite a bit of a tight rope.   My gut says that 2018 is Manny's last year here.

I think you are right.

I dont want to see Manny playing in another uniform.

I dont the team to overpay significantly either. What's a fair amount, who the hell knows?

47 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Will the Orioles attempt to re-sign Manny Machado?
They’re expected to take another shot at it. The question is when and for how long.

This is a good sign if it is really true. I doubt they are going to do what it takes and are likely just trying to appease the fans.

Poll to Come

I voted no. 

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I was just going to type something similar to this.  We should have dealt Manny last offseason.  

If we had a much deeper farm system, I think we'd be OK with having a guy like Manny making the big money and building around him.  

Of course when I say that Manny is likely to 'walk' I really really hope that we can at least trade him in the summer for a good haul.  To let him go for nothing other than a comp pick or whatever would be pretty brutal.  Unfortunately I do not really believe Dan will trade Manny unless the O's are just completely tanking.

Archived