Orioles to take another shot at extending Machado per Roch

Roll Tide

Will the Orioles get Manny resigned  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles get Machado signed?

• No ...They are just trying to prevent a fan exodus by saying they tried
    • No, They are going to back up the Brinks truck, but Machado isn't interested in staying
    • Yes...Angela s finally signs off on the big dollars and gets it done
    • Other.....

11 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

During the dark days the O's were famous for spending on players that did not make a difference. I would rather spend on one that can make a difference like Manny. The question is, do you want 10 years of a hall of fame career on your team or not. Stop spending moderate money on the Trumbo's, and instead spend big on hall of fame talent that still has a majority of their career ahead of them. 

You do realize that in 1998, they sign Belle to the richest contract in MLB (at that time), signing a five-year, $65 million ($93,448,861 today).

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You do realize that in 1998, they sign Belle to the richest contract in MLB (at that time), signing a five-year, $65 million ($93,448,861 today).

That's right and the Orioles , particularly Angelos has had really bad luck with his return for large investments

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

That's right and the Orioles , particularly Angelos has had really bad luck with his return for large investments

Belle had a good first year here, and while not the nicest person to be around, was a 5 tool player and was the Trout of his era.

It wasn't the dude that Glenn Davis was.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Put yourself in Manny's shoes. Why would you resign with the O's? How much would it take?

That's the question. In addition, I'm not sure where else he would go. NY and both LA teams are always a threat, but I have a feeling that most of their funds will be tied up (maybe except LAA). New ownership in Miami is expected to slash payroll. 

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Belle had a good first year here, and while not the nicest person to be around, was a 5 tool player and was the Trout of his era.

It wasn't the dude that Glenn Davis was.

Mike Trout of his era????? Whaaa?

Belle was a hell of a slugger, but was a poor defensive outfielder and not a great base runner.

Mike Trout is 26 now, at age 26 Albert Belle has produced 4.8 WAR and 70 HR, 13 SB. Mike Trout has produced 54.4 WAR and 201 HR, 165 SB. The WAR is about 14 more than Belle produced his entire career. 

The only Mile Trouts of their era were Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, and Mickey Mantle.

40 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yep, and then the next 14 years they shied away from big talent and signed the Jay Payton's of the world instead. 

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Mike Trout of his era????? Whaaa?

Belle was a hell of a slugger, but was a poor defensive outfielder and not a great base runner.

Mike Trout is 26 now, at age 26 Albert Belle has produced 4.8 WAR and 70 HR, 13 SB. Mike Trout has produced 54.4 WAR and 201 HR, 165 SB. The WAR is about 14 more than Belle produced his entire career. 

The only Mile Trouts of their era were Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, and Mickey Mantle.

You are correct, I pulled the wrong name for comparison.

The fact does remain that.

Belle had WARs of 4.7, 5.7, 6.9, 5.5 and 7.1, with one sub year for him at 1.5

He  was of the better players in MLB then.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'm not sure I agree with that second part. I think the smart thing would be to sign both Manny and Schoop long term. They have three or four outfield prospects and Mancini to make a solid cheap outfield with. Beckham at short until 2020 along with Sisco and Joseph at catcher. 

The problem would still be pitching but they have Bundy and Gausmen until 2022 and 2021. Harvey, Akin, Means, Sedlock, Wells, etc. all have ETA's from 2018 - 2020. The team would be relatively cheap except for the Manny, Davis, and Schoop contracts so they could always spend on some free agent pitching if they need to.  You'd probably have to let Jones walk in this scenario but if the Orioles say no to having two 26 year old all Stars be their franchise cornerstones for the next decade than they are making a mistake. 

I agree with a lot of what you say.  I think young guys around Manny, Schoop, and (unfortunately) Davis could work.   

The problem is you are putting way too much trust in young pitchers coming through our system.  All of those guys definitely have the potential to provide some pitching depth.   I just don't believe we have the development team in place to take advantage of that talent.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

This is not about what is logical.  This is about what Peter wants to do.  And what Manny will accept.  Was the Davis contract logical?  Was the Trumbo contract?   

Davis no. Trumbo yes. If he put up 3 career average years he would have been worth the money.

Archived