You snooze you lose - Doug Fister

Luke-OH

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I'm sure that Fister's agent did his best to top that, probably checking with any other teams to see if they could beat it.  Interesting that no other team, not just the O's, was willing to go over $4 mil guaranteed.

Fister seems like one of those guys who doesn’t get much respect for some reason.   Last year he wasn’t even signed until May, despite pitching 180 innings the previous season, and even then he only got a split contract worth $1.75 mm if he was in the majors.   

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, if Fister only gets a $4 mm guarantee, how could a team guarantee Tillman more than that?  

Tillman will get less, I'm thinking $2M max.  I think more like veteran minimum with incentives if he rebounds.  I have my doubts about Tillman's health, I don't believe he just lost it last year.  

6 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Do you truly believe that Hellickson, Miley, and Tillman will all be back in an Orioles uniform next year?  Really?

Their types. Would you be surprised if Miley and Tillman were back? That's DD's mo. Low tier pitchers. I have no faith in Angelos and or DD to do the right thing for the O's. 

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fister seems like one of those guys who doesn’t get much respect for some reason.   Last year he wasn’t even signed until May, despite pitching 180 innings the previous season, and even then he only got a split contract worth $1.75 mm if he was in the majors.   

I think it might be due to modern day sabermetrics and Fister not traditionally being a high strikeout pitcher.  His K rate was at a career high last year at 8.3 per nine innings. 

Fister's ERA has also been trending the wrong direction the last few years.  His 2017 year was a bit weird, FIP was 3.98 and ERA was 4.88.  Suggesting he might bounce back in 2018.  

24 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think it might be due to modern day sabermetrics and Fister not traditionally being a high strikeout pitcher.  His K rate was at a career high last year at 8.3 per nine innings. 

Fister's ERA has also been trending the wrong direction the last few years.  His 2017 year was a bit weird, FIP was 3.98 and ERA was 4.88.  Suggesting he might bounce back in 2018.  

Avg. FIP last three years is 4.51.  Average IP last three years 125, BB9 3.0.  None of his pitches touch 90 very often which I suspect is the primary reason he doesn't get a lot of respect.  If the Orioles want to compete in 2018, they need 3 starters better than Fister regardless of how good his deal might be in a vacuum.

33 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Their types. Would you be surprised if Miley and Tillman were back? That's DD's mo. Low tier pitchers. I have no faith in Angelos and or DD to do the right thing for the O's. 

I’d be surprised if Miley is back.   Tillman would not surprise me.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Avg. FIP last three years is 4.51.  Average IP last three years 125, BB9 3.0.  None of his pitches touch 90 very often which I suspect is the primary reason he doesn't get a lot of respect.  If the Orioles want to compete in 2018, they need 3 starters better than Fister regardless of how good his deal might be in a vacuum.

I don’t agree.    And we won’t have three new starters better than Fister.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Fister would have been a fine 5th starter. Thinking they'll sign 3 starting pitchers who are better than him is a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t agree.    And we won’t have three new starters better than Fister.

I don't think we'll have three new starters better than Fister through free agency.  Through a combination of free agency and trades I think it's possible albeit unlikely the way things look now.  In any case, the optimist in me says it's too early to settle for the Doug Fisters of the world - show me a credible 3 and 4 first.

I'm not nearly as high on Fister as some seem to be.  That he signed for $4 million doesn't really surprise me, but I am surprised that he signed for that so early in the off season.  Seems like he might have done better by waiting at least until the winter meetings.  Seems odd that his rep would advise him to jump on an offer like that so early in the process.  Health concerns, perhaps?

• 8 months later...

It’s been nearly a half decade since Fister, once one of the game’s more underrated hurlers, was an above-average contributor in a rotation. He tossed 164 innings of 2.41 ERA ball for the Nationals in 2014 but struggled in 2015 and ultimately lost his rotation spot with the Nats. Since that time, he’s seen his fastball velocity drop substantially, bottoming out at 86.2 mph in 2015 before rebounding to some extent over the past two seasons. He’s struggled to a 4.68 ERA with a near-identical 4.64 FIP across the past three seasons between the Astros, Red Sox and Rangers.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/doug-fister-out-season-knee-injury-rangers.html

Archived